Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

8 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

This is a really poor way to look at things. He did what 99% of coaches would do deep in their own end in a tie game. Why risk a stupid emotional play. Plus the D was playing pass. See if we can't bust off a decent run, or a short pass to start the drive. The driver started on what our 8 yard line. Lemme guess you advocate run all night and then once we're deep in our zone with less than a minute left you want the deep passing attack. MM played that right, and it worked out so why grade that as a negative.

Aaron has shown what he can do with a little amount of time. Being content with going into OT you risk losing the coin toss and never even seeing the ball. He's sackless, as usual. He's the main reason we lost to Seattle in that NFCCG. Got SUPER conservative in the 4th quarter, allowing them the chance to come back.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

There was absolutely no reason to worry about crosby in the context of this season.  He had a stinker and so what.  Nobody sane expected him to fall apart completely.

Crosby was a potential area we could have improved on this past offseason, just like we did with punter, etc.

Crosby's contract is hardly a huge deal like you say, but when your QB is the restrictor plate on your cap situation, and you spend 9M in cap on Crosby and Tramon and things like that, the paper cut mistakes can start to add up.

Fans are weird:

GB made an excellent decision to cut Jordy Nelson because his play slipped and his huge cap # was prohibitive.  Many fans revolted because he was beloved.

GB made a decision to cut Jeremy Ross after a bunch of fumbles.  Fans celebrated because he wasn't beloved.

Crosby is beloved, and that Dallas game in the playoffs was really magical.  Wonder how it'll play out when his time comes.

I honestly agree with a bunch of this. The tramon and croz stuff and how fickle fans are. I don't know if Croz it's beloved as it seems. Funny thing is, the national media seems to love him and I'm like 95% sure it has to do with his appearance lol

11 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Aaron has shown what he can do with a little amount of time. Being content with going into OT you risk losing the coin toss and never even seeing the ball. He's sackless, as usual. He's the main reason we lost to Seattle in that NFCCG. Got SUPER conservative in the 4th quarter, allowing them the chance to come back.

Please don't talk about that game lol but seriously. We could play that 100 times the same way and not get a losing outcome again. It's easy to say now but one play goes our way in that game later on and we never talking about that anymore. That was insane that it worked.

Hell I've even seen it argued we didn't play conservative enough but I've erased that game from my brain so I'm not sure what it would have been

9 hours ago, Norm said:

I honestly agree with a bunch of this. The tramon and croz stuff and how fickle fans are. I don't know if Croz it's beloved as it seems. Funny thing is, the national media seems to love him and I'm like 95% sure it has to do with his appearance lol

Crosby probably gains some viewers for the feel good story.  I have heard from female family/friends that he is an attractive man with the salt and pepper style hair.  

NFL is very much into bringing light to players that can attract additional viewers regardless of why they might be viewing.

9 hours ago, Slinky said:

So now McCarthy is getting ripped on for play calls that work. Man some of you hate this dude.

Allowing them the chance*

The .1% chance they would score 2 TDs, and an extra point in like ten minutes, then catch an onside kick, then tie the game, then lose the coin toss in overtime, then allow another TD?

That was a conflux of events that is so improbable I can't see how you would prepare for it. Running the ball and taking away their timeouts was better than risking an INT. Your chances of winning are actually higher doing what McCarthy did.

If you want to rip McCarthy for the Seahawks game, try the first quarter, not the fourth.

10 hours ago, Slinky said:

I get the impression that these comments are an off shoot of the team running on the first play of the final game winning drive Monday night, and the conclusion that the running play was a sign that McCarthy was content going to overtime.  Is that the case?

Just for the record, in 2 minute Rodgers has a collection of plays to draw from and does not get the plays from McCarthy.  On the run play, Aaron said that David Bakhtiari was the one who suggested the play, and Aaron went with it.  He referred to it as "an oldie, but a goodie".

Again, McCarthy owns criticism of things that Aaron Rodgers does, even when they work remarkably well, LOL.

You forget about special teams and defense in that game,  buddy?

Lol if you think that was the main reason. He played it perfectly. Passing on the LOB in their prime with Rodgers on a torn calf was the better option? 

Jordy recovers that onside kick, three kneels and the game is over, but the playcalling is the reason we lost, haha.

Kinda shocked at so many fans wanting MM canned.  He's stale blah blah blah.  Change for change sake is not always a good thing.  That being said if he ever loses the team it would be a different story.  He has not lost the team.  I'd let the season play out before extending him.  He's under contract for next year so no need to rush into it.  Albeit a little late he did replace Capers and Bennett.  Give him credit for that.  Philbin and Pettine were real nice adds.  Season is relatively young so let's see what happens.  

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Jordy recovers that onside kick, three kneels and the game is over, but the playcalling is the reason we lost, haha.

Thank-you for that. Somehow simplicity and the simple answer doesnt apply anymore.

14 hours ago, Slinky said:

You are talking about the first play of he drive? Why is that first play such an issue, MM called plays and AR ran the Offense and we drove down and scored a f/g to win. Suggesting that the first play was somehow saying MM wanted OT is kinda silly is all. He played it conservative is all and it worked out again as most every coach would in that situation.

There is so much wrong with your NFCCG assessment I don't know where to begin. I'm not sure why this came up as well as we're talking about the final drive in last weekends game in which we beat SF with a game winning FG.

I'm sure you've opened a can of worms with other posters. Best well agree to disagree on both points.

Everyone wants a Belichick who is consistently great, but the reality is that every other coach is just, at best, consistently good. 

Plenty of coaches start out teams with teams that get hot and they get a lot of praise in the short run, and then those teams get brought back down to reality after a year or two and those coaches get fired. Rinse, repeat. 

McCarthy has proven to be one of the fewer coaches, like Payton, Tomlin and Harbaugh, who has their team pretty consistently prepared. They are not perfect coaches, there are weaknesses to their games. They have the occasional slump years, but they have proven over a long period of time to produce consistently competitive teams. 

Look at how much turnover there is everywhere else in the league, it's staggering. Most other teams would love to find the next McCarthy, Tomlin, etc. 

The grass is not always greener. 

10 minutes ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Everyone wants a Belichick who is consistently great, but the reality is that every other coach is just, at best, consistently good. 

Plenty of coaches start out teams with teams that get hot and they get a lot of praise in the short run, and then those teams get brought back down to reality after a year or two and those coaches get fired. Rinse, repeat. 

McCarthy has proven to be one of the fewer coaches, like Payton, Tomlin and Harbaugh, who has their team pretty consistently prepared. They are not perfect coaches, there are weaknesses to their games. They have the occasional slump years, but they have proven over a long period of time to produce consistently competitive teams. 

Look at how much turnover there is everywhere else in the league, it's staggering. Most other teams would love to find the next McCarthy, Tomlin, etc. 

The grass is not always greener. 

I've been trying to get this message across for years. Good luck. Many here know this, of course too. Many others never will.

Archived