GDT Week 7: Baltimore Ravens vs New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then there's times where he challenges the spot of the ball on the first drive of the game where even if he wins the challenge it's still 4th and inches.

It sucks being put in that position though. I'm never going to go crazy on or blame the Refs because I feel the team is good enough to win despite their influence, but F$%K have they been annoying this year. 

Even in the Bills game we were getting S$%T Calls and No Calls. Last game it was constant bad spots fueling draining extended drives, that gifted call on their pick play which set them up at the 1. The Browns game was a reffing abomination against us, culminating in a pair of holds which sprung Duke Johnson for the game ending run into Field Goal position. The Broncos game had the No Call on the blocked kick. Who can forget the now famous No Call picture of Suggs being held by 2 pitt defenders in this years game? It's endless.

All another reason for the team to continue elevation of play across the board. 

15 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I agree and usually the rule is that if you’re on the road you go for the 2pt, but at home  you take it into overtime. So I can’t fault him.

The game wasn’t decided on any one call but I definitely wish we could’ve gotten an explanation for why Drew Brees got the first down on that 4th down and inches play. Reaching the ball forward to “break the plane” is a ridiculous explanation since it isn’t a goal line play. There was no forward progress there. It’s not even like he jumped up, then got tackled back. He jump and reached the ball across, then brought it back and then got touched by a Ravens defender after he had gone back behind the LOS with the ball.

That was a bogus first down play that really changed momentum. If we get the ball back there, we’re talking about an entirely different ballgame.

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then there's times where he challenges the spot of the ball on the first drive of the game where even if he wins the challenge it's still 4th and inches.

i felt he put the challenge in first and foremost because he didn't want Sean Payton to be the dominator if that makes sense... Payton had already run the fake punt and at least a successfull 4th down try before the first challenge if i remember right.

26 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i felt he put the challenge in first and foremost because he didn't want Sean Payton to be the dominator if that makes sense... Payton had already run the fake punt and at least a successfull 4th down try before the first challenge if i remember right.

I mean sure but Payont was just gonna go for it anyways. It made no sense. Now the second challenge I (and Harbaugh) still feel was a 100% fumble.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I agree and usually the rule is that if you’re on the road you go for the 2pt, but at home  you take it into overtime. So I can’t fault him.

The game wasn’t decided on any one call but I definitely wish we could’ve gotten an explanation for why Drew Brees got the first down on that 4th down and inches play. Reaching the ball forward to “break the plane” is a ridiculous explanation since it isn’t a goal line play. There was no forward progress there. It’s not even like he jumped up, then got tackled back. He jump and reached the ball across, then brought it back and then got touched by a Ravens defender after he had gone back behind the LOS with the ball.

That was a bogus first down play that really changed momentum. If we get the ball back there, we’re talking about an entirely different ballgame.

Didn't they mention on the broadcast, that the referees got it wrong and made a mistake in ruling it as a goalline play?

I didn't notice it that much during the game, but afterwards it seemed there were many (too many) bad calls on ball placement.

I know it makes sense to go for the 1 point at home, but I really felt we had a great deal of momentum and had the Saints defenders point fingers on that final drive, and I believe that is a great instant to catch them off guard and get a running play with Lamar Jackson in there. Of course it comes with some risk to run it towards the sideline for example as we saw the Saints being able to attack up field to stop the running game, but with Lamar there is a greater chance for the run to break inside and gain those few yards. Maybe we scored too fast for our own coaches to keep up and make the decision to go for 2?

IMHO there's absolutely no reason why, with Lamar Jackson, Buck Allen, Alex Collins and like a bazillion TE's why we shouldn't be going for it on every single 4th and 1 like the Saints did to us. If the Saints can have that much success against the NFL's best defense on 4th and short, we should be able to mimick that with the plethora of weapons we have.

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This was the most egregious one IMO.  I was screaming about this in real-time.

Watching this game over gave me mixed emotions. It was a rough loss, but it was great to see the team perform the way they did against a strong Super Bowl contender. The "Same Old Ravens" stuff really needs to stop. The amount of 4th Down Conversions, generous spots, Brees & Thomas Eliteness, and Sean Payton trickery it took to take us to the brink was incredible. This was our game to lose, but sadly we did :|.

Heroes of the Game

1. John Brown: No Smoke...dude is ballin. He's not a true number one, but who cares. That ish is overrated. He's a true threat, a great player, and a Real Raven. He showed up when we needed him most in the game and hopefully we extend him soon.

2. Joe Flacco: Joe is playing better than the numbers indicate. His clutch gene is regenerating after all the injuries and his performance Sunday was one of my favorites all year. He had a couple inaccurate throws/left plays on the day as any QB does, but he played very well. I encourage anyone to watch this one over. The would be tying drive aside, Joe had a sneaky day. All season when I've gone back to the All-22 I've been impressed with how many plays Flacco is extending. Such a contrast from last year. He's overcoming poor play calling and having no running game to speak of. 

3. Michael Crabtree: Crab had a key drop in the 4th that I think went largely unnoticed but it wasn't an easy grab and he certainly made up for it throughout the game. He's doing what we brought him here to do. Hopefully the Browns game was a one off, because I've been surprised with just how much he has left. When he and Brown are on, it's hard to stop our offense.

4. Mark Andrews: A great block to help spring John Brown and a great TD for himself. Mark is looking faster and faster out there. We need to make him a bigger part of the offense. More on that later.

5. Lamar Jackson: Speaking of someone due for a bigger role. FEED LJ8. The running game is in quicksand and Lamar can skip on lava, lets get him his touches. Take a cue from the Saints and their usage of Taysom. There's more there for Jackson. Scare teams to death, put him on Punt Team and threaten the direct snap, let him convert 3rd-4th & change, more RedZone work. Congrats to Lamar on his first TD, hope we get more of them real soon.

Villains of the Game

1. Marty: Really bro, an option call on 3rd & 1? Where Orlando has to get on a linebacker and Cameron Jordan is supposed to buy into Flacco keeping? GTFO. His run calls weren't the only issue. His passing concepts are just as counter productive at times. Depth variance is extremely poor, and it's like he has split personality disorder with either having too much or too little faith in the protection. It's time to grow some balls. Orlando Brown, James Hurst and Ronnie Stanley are all grown men. Let them do their job and let's send Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews downfield. Defenses are taking advantage of us constantly keeping Tight Ends back to block by only rushing four and laughing as our Big 3 try to work open against seven. I'm getting concerned this is how it's going to be all year. Hayden Hurst constantly running 4 yard Hitches and Andrews only getting work in the RedZone or 2 minute offense. Things need to change. Quickly. We need to up the aggression and refine our attack or we could find ourselves in trouble. Step up Marty.

2. Jimmy Smith: WTF was that? Believe me, I have Michael Thomas up there...but that was rough. He put up more of a fight against Nuk last year. The rust is real. He didn't get any real tests against the Browns or Titans, so this was reintroduction by fire. That level of play simply isn't acceptable and things need to change fast.

3. Willie Snead: Hate to do it. This was supposed to be a big game for Willie but he came up short. Too many drops, including a key one in the 4th Quarter on our second to last drive. 

Enemies of the Game

1. Drew "32" Brees: He got the sweep. I don't think he converted on that 4th & 1, but oh well. He certainly converted on plenty of other plays. Including that clutch 3rd & 9 with Jefferson on him. Still can't believe he got that one off. If that pass falls short or we get the Sack, they Punt and we get the ball back up 10 points going into the 4th. He got the ball out quick and took advantage of Jimmy's off day at every opportunity, including shrugging off another would be Sack from him. He's one of the All-Time Greats on and off the field, it's hard to be too mad when you lose to Drew. 

2. Sean Payton: Payton wasn't messing around from the jump. He knows what can happen when you don't swim as fast and as hard as possible when you're in Purple Waters. He didn't want to drown and was hyper aggressive to avoid doing so. Wink didn't get embarrassed but Sean caught him enough times to sustain drives. We still have problems preventing mismatches, especially out of the slot. That Mosley on Thomas bit was rough. 

3. Michael Thomas: The chemistry is real. When Brees & the Saints needed him, he was there. Even on a day where he had a couple drops he hurt us. 

4. Taysom Hill: "All Day" Tay, was a pain. Besides being in on the Saints RedZone fumble, he was a plus player for them all game. Attacking us in a variety of ways. Hopefully he can be an agent for change though. Inspiring us to use Lamar more too. 

5. That Damn Gust of Wind

fc861f63751e74bedb6c6b6a7df063bcf5fbd74d

As I said before, the loss sucks but who can replicate what the Saints did to us?

1. How many QBs can execute at the level of Brees?

2. How many play callers can scheme options open better than Payton?

3. How many teams can match the level of the Saint's Tackles?

4. How many teams have a receiver better than Michael Thomas?

5. How many teams have a pair of runners better than Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram?

Carolina is on deck this week. I'm expecting a statement win on the road to get this ship back on course. We'll need a big day from our receivers with Kuechly roaming the middle and I'm excited to see how we attack Cam and Cmac.

20 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Anyone saying go for two are "teh stoopids"

We're at home and for the most part hell an certified points ripper at bay. Why would you be dumb and go for two at home?

I can see both sides. You go for two because the Saints offense had heated up and going for two gives us the chance, in a game of coaching aggression from Payton, to outmaneuver his aggression with our own.

On the other hand. Our defense was holding the Saints offense to fourth downs for most of the game. If one stop goes right and we get them in a 4th and short and we get the stop, we get excellent field position.

But the way our defense was trending down (when the Saints hurry up quick huddle 3rd down attack became relevant), it’s not a bad idea to just end the game with our offense that just marched down the field on a Saints defense and why not take advantage why they’re reeling??

4 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Anyone saying go for two are "teh stoopids"

We're at home and for the most part hell an certified points ripper at bay. Why would you be dumb and go for two at home?

We may be at home, but the Saints scored 3 times in the 4th quarter and our defense seemed gassed. Its a gamble, but we have a great threat in both Jamal and Collins in the red zone. We have some tall possession tight ends - there are opportunities to go with the momentum and catch a saints defense off guard. As I said, they where pointing fingers at eachother on the final drive. Everyone who has played knows, that there is a lot going on inside those helmets when the finger pointing starts and it is easier to be on tilt.

Flacco's conversation with Mark Andrews in that Wired Clip was interesting. It's easy to forget that Brown, Crabtree, Snead, Andrews, and Hurst are ALL 1st year players with the offense. We're watching them work out their chemistry with Joe every week. During the Titans game Rich Gannon pulled up a graphic showing the Big 3's(Brown-Crabtree-Snead) production and talked about how this is the most a group of pass catchers has produced with a new QB & Team since the 2007 Patriots

Archived