Fun Bye Week Game

moretti19

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Jonathan Franklin.

The "scat back" we've never had and could have always used in the passing game.

Rodgers would have loved his smarts and thus incorporated him into the offense. 

A damn shame.

omg I loved Franklin. It's such a shame what happened to him! I had the hugest draft crush on him.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

As far as busts go, the ones mentioned were all pikers. Rich Campbell takes home the cake. For a number one pick, gosh was he bad. 

Wrong. The Incredible Bust, Tony Mandarich is the guy with icing all over his face that made our team have pie all over theirs. 

The three HOFers drafted directly after him has to make him the worst. 

On the morning of the draft, Bart Starr informed **** Corrick, the Packers’ personnel director, that he was going to take Campbell and all but anoint him his quarterback of the future. The night before, Corrick was under the impression he had finally convinced Starr to select defensive back Ronnie Lott over Campbell if both were available. After the Packers took Campbell, who played at the University of California, Tampa Bay selected linebacker Hugh Green sixth and San Francisco grabbed Lott, who is now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, eighth. In the Packers’ draft room, when the Campbell pick was relayed to the NFL’s draft central, the team’s West Coast scout Lloyd Eaton turned to then assistant to the president Bob Harlan and muttered, “That’s a bad choice.” Harlan asked why. “He can’t play,” Eaton responded. Eaton had Campbell pegged perfectly. He played in seven games in four years, never advancing above third string.

There was a similar story where Starr ignored a Midwest scout who was begging Starr to take Montana

Those stories are fun, but not really worth any more than if you or I had said it.  I love how every few years Ron Wolf has pegged the 4 HOF players that could have been available and of course he was all over them at the time.  Meanwhile, in the real world, he took Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss, who kicked the **** out of us for years to come.  Why don't any of these old personnel guys ever have a wrong read on a player when they tell old stories? 

6 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

So, I'm going to throw a twist here. I remember back for the 2009 draft when the Packers snagged BJ Raji and then traded back up and I jumped up and down. We got our nose tackle and here comes our edge! I thought for SURE we were drafting Everette Brown (a player I was particularly high on). Then they say his name "Clay Matthews, Outside linebacker" -- I literally threw my remote at my TV and said WHAT THE F***, WHY THE FU** would you pass on Brown here? WTF ARE YOU THINKING?! I FU**ING HATE YOU TED! Then CM3 played his rookie season and I ate so much crow. Won't even lie. I'm pretty sure you can ask @Norm if he recalls that far back from our other site we used a long while back ago. I was pretty outraged. lolol.

I was disappointed when we took Randall.  I think I compared it to getting socks for Christmas, even if I needed socks, and asked for socks, it is still boring when your brother got a bike and the kid across the street got a remote control car.

I was also pretty disappointed when the Packers traded down initially this draft with Davenport, Edmunds, James, and Landry still on the board.  That was short lived when the terms of the trade was announced.  

I was particularly happy when we got HaHa Clinton-Dix.  I didn't think there was a chance that he fell to the Packers.  We needed S, he was the best S, and we got him.  I remember looking at the draft positions and trying to concoct a way for that to happen, but I always felt like I was being dishonest.  But the pieces fell, and we got my ideal pick.

12 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I always remember liking the idea of Aaron Rouse more than I liked Aaron Rouse.  There have been a few of these S-LB hybrid types that just aren't that good at football but they are always interesting to fans and front offices, because if it works...

Yeah, I thought of him (Rouse) as well. A third rounder, if i recall. Loved his length and size, but he was just too stiff to succeed (reminds me of Taylor Mays). You hit the nail on the head  about liking the idea of a guy like that. I was thought of him when the Packers drafted Kevin King (also 6'3", but a corner), but Kevin does have the athleticism and flexibility to play with that length.

Referring to another post by you, It was the 2005 CB, Mike Hawkins, I remembered (I forgot he was actually drafted). Ran a private 4.34 40 time, he had a troubled past, was always dinged up, and was not a physical player. Age and memory-blur had me mashing together him and Josh Hawkins (who WAS undrafted).

15 hours ago, Norm said:

I can't tell if it's that or who did you really like who let you down? It seems like it's going both ways, the latter is more "fun" than just, who sucked the most. That ****'s easy.

More of who you let down, most of us like to think we could be a GM so we all have our favorite guys.

16 hours ago, Norm said:

Yeah I didn't want Clay either and then the most negative guy ever came in saying he swore he was a future HOFer. I'm pretty sure you and I spent  a lot of time trying to convince people to not still worry about the last FSU pass rusher bust (someone help me, name evades me and too lazy to google) when it came to Brown. 

Jamal Reynolds.  10th pick of the draft.  Makes Fackrell look like one mean SOB.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yeah, I thought of him (Rouse) as well. A third rounder, if i recall. Loved his length and size, but he was just too stiff to succeed (reminds me of Taylor Mays). You hit the nail on the head  about liking the idea of a guy like that. I was thought of him when the Packers drafted Kevin King (also 6'3", but a corner), but Kevin does have the athleticism and flexibility to play with that length.

Referring to another post by you, It was the 2005 CB, Mike Hawkins, I remembered (I forgot he was actually drafted). Ran a private 4.34 40 time, he had a troubled past, was always dinged up, and was not a physical player. Age and memory-blur had me mashing together him and Josh Hawkins (who WAS undrafted).

Taylor Mays was just like Rouse.  I really liked Sean Richardson that we had from Vanderbilt.  Before he had to retire, it looked like he might fill that giant safety role.  Or maybe I just gave him a longer leash because he was a UDFA and not a draftee like Rouse or Mays.  Amazing what lowered expectations will do.

As for King, that mold has worked in the past.  The guy's name slips me, big corner that played for the Broncos I'm thinking 2003-06ish.  I think that guys in the 6'2-4 range typically either bulk up to play LB or play basketball.  

Archived