2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

On 12/20/2018 at 12:38 AM, Mojoman said:

How does Brandon Jones at Texas and alohi Gilman at ND compare to the other safeties like thornhill and rapp?

I don't think Gilman is a draftable prospect.

Brandon Jones is a tremendous athlete with a good frame, but he's absolutely terrible IMO. Always out of position, struggles to make routine tackles, and just isn't very talented outside of what he has physically. I would say he's a very late draft pick and someone that can play special teams with the hopes he develops long-term.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, ClutchDJ said:

Nasir Adderley is the 2nd best Safety in this class after Deionte Thompson. LOVE his game.

Here did you hear about him?  Does have an impressive highlight tape that is for sure.  Really impressed with him in coverage and his range, breaks on the football like a CB but can hit like a safety.  Gives really standout effort also, would be curious what he looks like in a live game all game not just hightlights of his career.  Is one to look into more that is for sure, nice call.  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Here did you hear about him?  Does have an impressive highlight tape that is for sure.  Really impressed with him in coverage and his range, breaks on the football like a CB but can hit like a safety.  Gives really standout effort also, would be curious what he looks like in a live game all game not just hightlights of his career.  Is one to look into more that is for sure, nice call.  

Ledyard & the Draft Network guys. Can’t find a flaw in his game.

55 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

didn't see anything special in his NDSU tape. any other tape you recommend ?

The 2018 NDSU tape?  Watched that and sure he did not have many amazing plays but his footwork in coverage is pretty impressive I must say.  And damn he takes on blocks like a linebacker despite not being all that big, kid just stands up most blockers and that is really impressive  I feel, especially for a coverage type safety like him.

4 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Ledyard & the Draft Network guys. Can’t find a flaw in his game.

Yeah in coverage there is a lot to like about him and his footwork is solid.  Seems to have tons of range but is clearly against a lesser competition level. His return skills are very impressive as well and show some of his explosive athletic ability.  Combo in coverage and as a tackler he is a complete safety.  If he works out well at the combine he could be drafted with the other top safeties in the draft no question.

PS Troy Reeder LB is on Delaware the Penn State transfer lead the team in tackles I see, 131.  Good to see for him, I liked him early on when he was on Penn State, have not seen him recently might need to take a look at him as well.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

PS Troy Reeder LB is on Delaware the Penn State transfer lead the team in tackles I see, 131.  Good to see for him, I liked him early on when he was on Penn State, have not seen him recently might need to take a look at him as well.

he's been getting some attention. Could get drafted late, definitely going to be on some teams lists as a PFA at a minimum

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Really impressed with him in coverage and his range, breaks on the football like a CB but can hit like a safety.  Gives really standout effort also, would be curious what he looks like in a live game all game not just hightlights of his career

He played corner a few years ago before moving to safety. The UDBlueHens youtube account has a handful of full games available or you can just search "delaware football vs" and that will pull up the same list of videos.

Essang Bassey from Wake had another excellent day. He's not my top rated CB, but he's most certainly my favorite. The dude makes playing WR look impossible out there. He's not a great athlete nor is he very big, but the dude knows how to jar passes out at an elite level. He's also got fantastic instincts in coverage and anticipates routes very well. It'd be a lie to call him a great tackler, but he's more than adequate in that regard. He's going to be a high end #2 for someone methinks.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:37 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Essang Bassey from Wake had another excellent day. He's not my top rated CB, but he's most certainly my favorite. The dude makes playing WR look impossible out there. He's not a great athlete nor is he very big, but the dude knows how to jar passes out at an elite level. He's also got fantastic instincts in coverage and anticipates routes very well. It'd be a lie to call him a great tackler, but he's more than adequate in that regard. He's going to be a high end #2 for someone methinks.

I honestly think he could be a better S than CB in the league. I think he could be an adequate CB2 for a team, but he could really excel as a center fielder. Awesome ball skills & good feet. He also appears to be better in off coverage than on. I believe a move to S could really accentuate his strengths.

15 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

I honestly think he could be a better S than CB in the league. I think he could be an adequate CB2 for a team, but he could really excel as a center fielder. Awesome ball skills & good feet. He also appears to be better in off coverage than on. I believe a move to S could really accentuate his strengths.

He's too damn good in man coverage to play S. He does play a lot of off coverage, but it's off man. And on 3rd down and short, he played a ton of press man and has excelled. He's elite at defending quick slants and quick outs. He sticks to the WR like glue and is somehow always in front of the WR on their route. He's also got excellent CB technique when it comes to staying on the back arm of the WR to jar the football out if they get their hands on it. Sure he could play S, but why? He will have no problems whatsoever playing CB in my opinion. If the CB experiment fails, sure they can move him. But I'd be shocked if he was drafted to play S.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Can we talk more about Taylor Rapp?

He's good, but kind of boring to talk about. He's an extremely sound tackler that takes consistently good angles to the ball carrier. Seems like a great leader out there. Struggles a little bit to cover in the deep half and even in the underneath curl zones at times. Not effective in man coverage. I think he's a halfway decent athlete and could become more than adequate in coverage, but he doesn't seem comfortable there and it's clearly not his role in that Washington defense.

He excels at bringing guys to the ground and never getting roasted. He's never horribly out of position or anything, but I don't view him as a pure centefielder as he doesn't glide effortlessly out there. There is space to be had from WR's when he's in coverage, but it's rare that he lets something get in behind him for a big play. Washington's defensive scheme (and Rapp) were good at baiting QB's by disguising coverage and his best plays in coverage were a result of some bad decisions made by QB's.

I really like Taylor Rapp as a football player. I don't know where I want to play him in the NFL to be honest. He'd actually be pretty good in Seattle's cover 3-heavy scheme as a possible Kam Chancellor replacement.

Right now I have Rapp as a late 2nd-early 3rd round pick despite his coverage limitations. As of right now, he's my 2nd rated S behind Jaquan Johnson and ahead of Johnathan Abram.

Archived