Gute: who are you starting at RB on Sunday

MM: Ty

Gute: I want you to start Jones

MM: The starting lineup is mine - Jones will get his 4 carries

Gute: I just traded Ty

MM: DOH !!

Gute going Moneyball on MM

LOL

After not following a directive by his coaches I seriously doubt Ty was in good standings with MM.

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"... trading Montgomery ends the three-back experiment, which was a waste of time. Now, Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams can split time with Jones getting most of the early-down work and Williams most of the third-down work. There is no third wheel there to complicate matters. There is no excuse for coach Mike McCarthy to ignore Jones now."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/10/30/silverstein-packers-put-house-order-pair-necessary-deals/1821324002/

This article is probably pretty close to the truth here.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

That was back in the days when the Packers were truly dreadful.  Looking back do you blame him?  The present Packers teams are nothing like those disasters.

But again, my personal belief is the notion that all players should want to play in Green Bay because of Aaron Rodgers is naive.

For a safety, being drafted by one of the worst defenses, to a team that when its successful is all about the QB, and when it fails is all about the defense, seems to me to be less appealing than going to a team like Minnesota that was building a dominant defense.

As Shanedorf pointed out, even Vernon Davis, who could have played with and benefitted from Brett Favre, didn't want to come here.  You don't typically hear about player preferences when they are drafted later, but I believe that any player has them.  Who was the Detroit lineman in last year's draft that didn't want to come to Green Bay because he was a fan of another nfc north team growing up and hated the Packers.  I could search it and find his name but it isn't worth the time.

Funny how Thrill! is willing to accept the statement that HHCD probably didn't want to play for McCarthy without comment, but gets bunched when I respond that my thought was he never wanted to be here.  Neither statement is anything more than opinion.

Lol at the articles saying he was bad and Packer fans also trying to justify this.. he was having a fine year. You guys got rid of cause he wanted out, end of story. And getting rid of a starter, with no one behind the guy what so ever, when you are trying to win the SB?? I didn’t know the Packer FO was thia dumb. My SB pick all year was Packers but officially changing to the Rams. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Lol at the articles saying he was bad and Packer fans also trying to justify this.. he was having a fine year. You guys got rid of cause he wanted out, end of story. And getting rid of a starter, with no one behind the guy what so ever, when you are trying to win the SB?? I didn’t know the Packer FO was thia dumb. My SB pick all year was Packers but officially changing to the Rams. 

Whatever.  

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

This article is probably pretty close to the truth here.

It entirely misses the way that we use our backs. For the last probably 5 years, we've run our running backs by drive. It works in combination with the no huddle.

Now, Montgomery was pissed the play before the idiotic return because he got pulled off of "his" drive for Jones. That was the first time in that game that we had swapped backs mid drive outside of getting into 3rd and longs. 

Maybe that's a sign of things to come. I doubt it though. Maybe Jones gets another drive per game, but it's not like Montgomery was carrying many snaps anyway.

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I presume you're a Raider fan? Not sure - but if so - I suggest you keep focus on the $hitstorm that they've become.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It entirely misses the way that we use our backs. For the last probably 5 years, we've run our running backs by drive. It works in combination with the no huddle. Now, Montgomery was pissed the play before the idiotic return because he got pulled off of "his" drive for Jones. That was the first time in that game that we had swapped backs mid drive outside of getting into 3rd and longs. 

Maybe that's a sign of things to come. I doubt it though. Maybe Jones gets another drive per game, but it's not like Montgomery was carrying many snaps anyway.

Exactly. I've got nothing against the guy (except for his LAR game return.....) - but he was a marginal contributor with our team.

Or to put it another way - IMO - the "send a message" had greater value to the team than he did.

We need to replace him somehow - protect ourselves from future injury at the position - but we can handle that easily enough. 

14 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"... trading Montgomery ends the three-back experiment, which was a waste of time. Now, Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams can split time with Jones getting most of the early-down work and Williams most of the third-down work. There is no third wheel there to complicate matters. There is no excuse for coach Mike McCarthy to ignore Jones now."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/10/30/silverstein-packers-put-house-order-pair-necessary-deals/1821324002/

Read somewhere on another site that the reason MM doesn’t use Jones more is because he can’t stand him for some reason. I’m talking on a personal level. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So you have watched more HaHa than all of us and the beat writers following the team? The guy was an average player who wasn't sticking around. We have to spend money in Free Agency and weren't getting a 4th for him in comp picks. Gute & the coaches have a plan in place and thought a 4th was more valuable than HaHa for 9 more games. This really isn't hard to justify from a FO perspective. 

I couldn't care less who you have picked for the Super Bowl. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I presume you're a Raider fan? Not sure - but if so - I suggest you keep focus on the $hitstorm that they've become.

Tanking for Bosa and rebuilding our defense with three first rounders is fine with me. 

I’m still gonna cheer for the Packers come playoff time but man this was an awful decision. It’s like telling the players “Hey, we don’t care that you guys are trying to win a SB, we will trade any starter who has a bad attitude”. 

Just now, Bignutz said:

Read somewhere on another site that the reason MM doesn’t use Jones more is because he can’t stand him for some reason. I’m talking on a personal level. 

Seems far more likely it has something to do with a lot of Jones drives ending in 3rd down sacks.

I really don't think Jones and McCarthy would communicate that much.

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It had more to do with the likelihood of him wanting an elite S money ($10M+) and his play not warranting it.  Is HHCD talented?  Absolutely, but he's also wildly inconsistent.  He regularly takes poor angles to ball carriers, pulls up way too often in coverage, and his effort is inconsistent at best.  In a best case scenario, he's a top 5 safety but that's more a statement about the level of S play in the NFL right now.  But he doesn't play consistently well enough to get that payday, and he was clearly ready to leave Green Bay.  Green Bay got a potential long-term asset out of a player who was going to walk in FA.  Definitely wouldn't call that a dumb move.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Exactly. I've got nothing against the guy (except for his LAR game return.....) - but he was a marginal contributor with our team.

Or to put it another way - IMO - the "send a message" had greater value to the team than he did.

We need to replace him somehow - protect ourselves from future injury at the position - but we can handle that easily enough. 

I think it has a lot less to do with "send a message" and more to do with the fact that there was very apparently going to be some bad blood between Montgomery and other players.

You had players blasting Montgomery in the press.

You had Montgomery telling the press that he was hurt that his teammates didn't have his back. 

I thought it was interesting that we didn't see Rodgers or anybody go over to Montgomery as he was sitting there after the play. That tells me a lot of people thought he was selfish rather than just having made a dumb play.

Personally, I always try to give a guy the BOTD. Easy to lose where you're standing as you stare into the sky for 4 seconds. But the players probably know better than me. I feel like both sets of guys probably have a point.

Just seems like it was time to get Monty out of there.

Archived