65 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Thielen Rank As A WR?

• Best in the NFL
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 15
    • Product of Keenum and Cousins.

2 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Every game this year? Look what he is on pace for. Are you really going to say he hasn't looked like a tier 1 receiver this year?

If you want to argue that other guys have done it over more seasons, then sure you might have an argument that he hasn't earned it vs. other guys. But he's arguably been the best WR this year.

He's been the best and most consistent. But there have been other guys who have been consistent, though perhaps not at a 100 YPG level... And the 13 targets per game certainly help as it would give him the most targets a WR has ever seen in a season. He would be only the 3rd WR to eclipse 200 targets, the others being 2016 Julio Jones amd 2002 Marvin Harrison. I am in no way saying that Thielen hasn't been great (he's far and away been the best in the league this season and no one else is even close) but he's clearly not Tier 1 yet.  

Top 10, closer to being inside the top 5 than being outside the top 10.

I personally just don't see how you can rank him over AB, Julio, Hopkins, Green or OBJ, not yet anyway. These 5 are all in their prime in the midst of what have been almost unprecedented careers, in one way or another (of course we can attribute a chunk of that to the ever increasing pass happy rule changes). Thielen's having a hell of a season, so is Hill, and they had good 2017s too, but it will take more than that to dethrone those "big 5" WRs for me.

Michael Thomas, Thielen, Hill and Evans are all knocking on that door though.

Top 10. Mostly just because of the crazy amount of talent at WR right now. He's in the same realm as Hill, where his performance this year is definitely top 5, but you just can't vault him up there over guys who have been doing the same thing for years.

And then the one criticism I will offer, with Theilen's production so far, is it's coming on an unheard of amount of targets. I don't have today's numbers, obviously, but coming into the week he was on pace for the most targets in a single season in NFL history (on pace for 211.)

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

You don't seem to know what Tier 1 actually is if you think 130 yard games are Tier 1. Tier 1 games would be 180+ yards and/or Multiple Touchdowns. He's only done that once. He's been consistent as all hell but there hasn't been a game where you would say "Man, the Vikings are ONLY in this game because of Adam Thielen and Adam Thielen only." That's tier one play. I can cite MULTIPLE games for Jones, Beckham, Hopkins and Brown doing that.

So it's ok for a tier 1 receiver to have multiple bad games and then have a monster game so his overall stats look good? I just want to get the definition straight.

If a receiver has a 3 game stretch of 50 yards 0 tds, 50 yards, 0 tds and then a 200 yard game with 2 TD's how is that necessarily any better than a guy who week in and week out gives you 100 yards tossed in with a couple TD's? 

Edit: I do have to nitpick here. While I have Julio Jones as the top WR right now

I can cite MULTIPLE games for Jones

The man hasn't been able to catch TD's in the past 2 years + this season. from the 2016 season to now he is tied for 54th in receiving TD's with 9.

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

He's been the best and most consistent. But there have been other guys who have been consistent, though perhaps not at a 100 YPG level... And the 13 targets per game certainly help as it would give him the most targets a WR has ever seen in a season. He would be only the 3rd WR to eclipse 200 targets, the others being 2016 Julio Jones amd 2002 Marvin Harrison. I am in no way saying that Thielen hasn't been great (he's far and away been the best in the league this season and no one else is even close) but he's clearly not Tier 1 yet.  

He get's so many targets because he's an amazing route runner and get's open all the time.;)

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Top 10, closer to being inside the top 5 than being outside the top 10.

I personally just don't see how you can rank him over AB, Julio, Hopkins, Green or OBJ, not yet anyway. These 5 are all in their prime in the midst of what have been almost unprecedented careers, in one way or another (of course we can attribute a chunk of that to the ever increasing pass happy rule changes). Thielen's having a hell of a season, so is Hill, and they had good 2017s too, but it will take more than that to dethrone those "big 5" WRs for me.

Michael Thomas, Thielen, Hill and Evans are all knocking on that door though.

That's fair. Having consistency over multiple years does cement you over up and comers. 

I love Thielen and he's maybe my favorite player to watch today, but I think he's not as good as the numbers he's putting up. Being most productive doesn't always mean the best or close to it. I think teams are more afraid of Diggs because every time that guy catches the ball it's danger time. I wouldn't put him in the same tier as guys who have proven to be the consistent #1 options over many seasons despite whatever the other team throws at them.

16 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

So it's ok for a tier 1 receiver to have multiple bad games and then have a monster game so his overall stats look good? I just want to get the definition straight.

If a receiver has a 3 game stretch of 50 yards 0 tds, 50 yards, 0 tds and then a 200 yard game with 2 TD's how is that necessarily any better than a guy who week in and week out gives you 100 yards tossed in with a couple TD's? 

Edit: I do have to nitpick here. While I have Julio Jones as the top WR right now

The man hasn't been able to catch TD's in the past 2 years + this season. from the 2016 season to now he is tied for 54th in receiving TD's with 9.

Except you act as if those guys do/have done that when they typically do not. They've consistently put up yardage every week and then explode for a big game every once in a while. The one time they've gotten targets at the level Thielen has gotten they were 1800 yard receivers.

15 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

1) Brown

2) Julio

3) Tyreek Hill

4) Thielen

5) Hopkins

6) OBJ

7) AJ Green

Something like that. Granted these are all VERY different players and capable of having a claim to best WR in the league at any point.

Naw Hopkins and OBJ are above Thielen.

Thielen is probably top 4-8. There’s really not that much difference between the receivers outside of Julio/Brown/OBJ and maybe Green and Nuk. Thielen has had a ridiculous amount of targets, but he also has a fairly high catch percentage. I do agree that Thielen benefits from Diggs being game planned on, but he also makes absurd catches and is as clutch as any receiver in the league. His attitude might argue he is a better overall player than Brown and OBJ. He never complains and will literally do whatever it takes to help the team. So, with that in mind the only other receivers I would consider over Thielen would be Julio/Nuk/Green. From a pure skill perspective Thielen is in the 4-8 range right now. 

Archived