Week 8: Saints (5-1) at VIKINGS (4-2-1)

swede700

Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?

• 0 - 245 yds (his average vs. the Vikings in the playoffs)
    • 246 - 312 yds
    • 313+ yds

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Thielens fumble and the int really killed us

Defense was solid. I'm surprised they didn't go after Hill more but he must have played solid

The defence played surprisingly well considering Rhodes was out and Hill and Kearse started.  But we KNEW that The Saints would adjust at halftime, and be almost unstopable in The 2nd Half.  We absolutely HAD to build a 10-14 point lead at Halftime, to make them need to pass more in The 2nd Half.  Had Thielen's fumble not occurred, the extra point not been missed, and The Vikings not ended up having to settle for a FG when they had ample chance to get a TD in The 1st Half, and they won the turnover battle in The 2nd Half by at least 1, they'd have come away with the win.  But winning was a lot to ask with Rhodes and Cook out, and The OL beat up.  I hope The Vikings can grab a guard (who can be a decent starter replacement, and possible future starter) from a team that knows it is out of the playoff race, before the trade deadline.

12 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I think he may be fine but he's a project. Don't think he was supposed to play this year and red shirt and get some strength.

No doubt about that.  The Vikings shouldn't have neglected their OL so much, and, at the same time, been so unlucky to have so many OL injuries, that he was forced to learn on the fly, before he's really strong enough to hold his own vs. the bulkier and stronger veterans he often faces.  Long-term, he should be a terrific run blocker, and adequate or better pass blocker. 

33 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Playing vs. tougher teams, while having injuries to key players is most of the reason, I would say.

I'd say difficulty favors the away schedule. 

New Orleans (H) and LA (A) are comparable. 

Green Bay, Philly and NYJ (Away) are tougher than San Francisco, Arizona and Buffalo (Home).

Has anyone else been disappointed in the way DeFilippo has been utilizing the TE?

It seems that Rudolph has been used more as a checkdown/emergency outlet, rather than as a down field weapon. And given Rudolph’s terrible ability to block, there’s just no point in having him stay in to block. We should never see Kyle Rudolph engaged one on one with a defensive end. 

Coming from Philadelphia, I figured we’d see a lot more of Rudolph down field with Flip as OC. 

Home and watching the TV version of the game. Some final thoughts before moving on....

-I had no idea how horrid our clock management was during the 4th quarter. We were playing like we were up 14 rather than down 14. Short passes/runs, huddling up for 25 seconds. We were 3 scores behind and a true comeback was unlikely but at least pretend you're trying to come back.

-Defense deserved that win. Take out the extremely short field after the fumble and the pick 6 and the stats look better. However, absolutely no pressure in the 2nd half. 

-Why can't we cover running backs? Every week, we get gouged by running backs catching swings out of the backfield. It's an automatic 6 yards at minimum every time.

-Another thing that baffles me.....we're moving the ball pretty great during the first half. Thielen fumbles. And the offense is putrid until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter during garbage time. Is it the Vikings going away from what works or is is the opposing defense adjusting well at half?

-The play call on the 4th & 1 at the 45 was horrible. I get throwing the ball when you have to ELITE WRs but the ball goes to Treadwell? RUN THE BALL or punt it and make them go 80 yards instead of 45. We can all appreiciate being aggressive but you don't risk giving an elite QB a short field where one 8 yard pass puts them in good FG position. I'm fine doing that against a Darnold/Rosen/Allen but not a HOF QB.

-It bugs me we cowered into the second half with 30 seconds and 2 timeouts left. An $84 million QB with two elite receivers. We desperately needed momentum at that time. Pass the ball on first and 2nd down. If that doesn't work, run the ball on 3rd, get some time off the clock and punt it deep. Make them go 85 yards in 12 seconds. Absolutely mind-boggling why they just decided to go into half with no momentum. Even if you don't get the field goal....at least you're building momentum with potentially a couple medium range completions. 

-Kirk.....I dunno. He has the Favre syndrome where he'll break your heart. The INT wasn't all on him (Diggs just randomly stops running and if he keeps running, it's at least a highly contested ball). That sack/near fumble was mind boggling. Go down or throw it away, dude.

-Thielen must dip his hands in Stick 'Em every series. That catch over the back of the DB was sensational. It sucks that his 8th straight 100 yard game is tainted by that game costing fumble.

-I really really REALLY want a tight end who can open up the field. Love Rudy but I'm fairly over him at this point. Good hands but declining speed and no YAC.

-Doubt it was shown on TV but the Saints were running up and down the sideline flicking off fans and taunting them all game. And how is it OK that after a turnover, 20 guys can run from the sidelines, onto the field, and head to the endzone to taunt fans? 11? Sure. But how can guys come off the sidelines to do it?

-Next 3 games will be a buzzsaw. Division games are never easy and we have 3 in a row with Detroit, Chicago, and Green Bay. Need to take 2 of the 3 at minimum.

-We were running the ball somewhat decently in the first half yet we STILL don't use any play-action? 

-Why don't we roll Kirk out of the pocket?

-Holton Hill is going to be a player in this league. He went right after Thomas and held his own. I can EASILY see him as the nickle with Rhodes & Hughes. I'm now a big fan. He'll be a player who we look at 4-5 years from now and say "And he went undrafted?!"

9 hours ago, Robb_K said:

The defence played surprisingly well considering Rhodes was out and Hill and Kearse started.  But we KNEW that The Saints would adjust at halftime, and be almost unstopable in The 2nd Half.  We absolutely HAD to build a 10-14 point lead at Halftime, to make them need to pass more in The 2nd Half.  Had Thielen's fumble not occurred, the extra point not been missed, and The Vikings not ended up having to settle for a FG when they had ample chance to get a TD in The 1st Half, and they won the turnover battle in The 2nd Half by at least 1, they'd have come away with the win.  But winning was a lot to ask with Rhodes and Cook out, and The OL beat up.  I hope The Vikings can grab a guard (who can be a decent starter replacement, and possible future starter) from a team that knows it is out of the playoff race, before the trade deadline.

Really, just kick the field goal and go into the half up 17-10. That might be enough to set us up for the win.  The fumble changed everything.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

4-3-1 doesn’t look all that great. But it does put things into a bit better perspective when you realize that two of your losses were by teams with a combined one loss on the season. 

Still only a half game out of first in the NFC North and have only played one divisional game to date. I think the next three weeks will be pivotal with 2 of 3 division games at home.

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No reason not to go 3-0 with the next three. 

All 3 of the other teams in our division are very beatable. We get two at home and the other coming off of our bye week. No excuses. 

At Chicago is going to be difficult, as it always is. Green Bay coming here won't be easy either. I could see 1-2 during this stretch just as easy as 3-0.

Archived