Week 8: Saints (5-1) at VIKINGS (4-2-1)

swede700

Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?

• 0 - 245 yds (his average vs. the Vikings in the playoffs)
    • 246 - 312 yds
    • 313+ yds

Thielen said he’s “disappointed in myself” and Diggs said his mistake “will wrack my brain until we see them again.” When you throw in Laquon Treadwell‘s unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the Saints’ fumble recovery and his failure to bring in a fourth down pass, it makes for a bad night across the board for the Minnesota wideouts.

“This one stings, because we left a lot of plays out there,” Treadwell said, via the Pioneer Press. “We let the team down. We know that, and we’ve got to bounce back.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/29/vikings-receivers-feel-they-let-the-team-down-on-sunday-night/

Last night was the first game I've watched live all season long...and despite the loss, I was pleased with how well the defense played despite all the injuries...but I was extremely disappointed at how the offense played.  While I can't certainly blame Cousins for the INT (although I did initially, until I saw the replay), I was still disappointed at how long he was holding the ball...and confused at why he never threw the ball away on that "almost" fumble, since he clearly had the time to do so.  That was a rookie QB play, not a 6-7 year veteran play.  He should know better and I expect better.  I was also confused with some of the play-calling.  I didn't mind the idea to go for it on 4th and 1...and I don't blame Treadwell for the missed catch, since it was a hotly contested ball, but I thought it was an absolutely awful play-call which never should have been made.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Last night was the first game I've watched live all season long...and despite the loss, I was pleased with how well the defense played despite all the injuries...but I was extremely disappointed at how the offense played.  While I can't certainly blame Cousins for the INT (although I did initially, until I saw the replay), I was still disappointed at how long he was holding the ball...and confused at why he never threw the ball away on that "almost" fumble, since he clearly had the time to do so.  That was a rookie QB play, not a 6-7 year veteran play.  He should know better and I expect better.  I was also confused with some of the play-calling.  I didn't mind the idea to go for it on 4th and 1...and I don't blame Treadwell for the missed catch, since it was a hotly contested ball, but I thought it was an absolutely awful play-call which never should have been made.  

Cousins isn't an elite QB. He's fringe top 10. He has flaws. Redskins fans have said much of the same regarding Cousins lack of pocket awareness.

I also questioned why MN went for it on 4th down but the playcall was even worse.

8 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

-Another thing that baffles me.....we're moving the ball pretty great during the first half. Thielen fumbles. And the offense is putrid until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter during garbage time. Is it the Vikings going away from what works or is is the opposing defense adjusting well at half?

It's funny....we were moving it well, but fans were complaining that we abandoned the run. I think we started the second half trying to reestablish the run (thereby making fans happy, you'd think), and now the complaint is that the offense stalled.

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Has anyone else been disappointed in the way DeFilippo has been utilizing the TE?

It seems that Rudolph has been used more as a checkdown/emergency outlet, rather than as a down field weapon. And given Rudolph’s terrible ability to block, there’s just no point in having him stay in to block. We should never see Kyle Rudolph engaged one on one with a defensive end. 

Coming from Philadelphia, I figured we’d see a lot more of Rudolph down field with Flip as OC. 

Me. If this is how they are going to use him, they can't afford that contract.

IMO, this is not close to a SB team right now. I admit, I fell for the pre-season hype, and now they just look like an above average team. 

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Me. If this is how they are going to use him, they can't afford that contract.

IMO, this is not close to a SB team right now. I admit, I fell for the pre-season hype, and now they just look like an above average team. 

I agree that I don't think it's a SB team right now, but they may surprise me in the 2nd half of the season...we'll just have to see.  I think they are certainly a playoff team, but a SB-caliber team?  Not right now...that may have to be 2019.  I think the lack of cohesiveness/experience of the offensive unit (with the OC) may just be too much to overcome this season.  

One major difference between last year and this year is I believe hardly any of the injuries we've dealt with are season-enders. Hughes and Easton are it for guys we expected to contribute. Get healthy and get on a roll to end the year. I'd rather be hot in December and January than in September and October. It's a big reason why so many Wild Card teams have made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Just now, Klomp said:

One major difference between last year and this year is I believe hardly any of the injuries we've dealt with are season-enders. Hughes and Easton are it for guys we expected to contribute. Get healthy and get on a roll to end the year. I'd rather be hot in December and January than in September and October. It's a big reason why so many Wild Card teams have made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Good point. I also think that they have the talent that it offense and difference plays up to their abilities at the same time they could go on a run

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Good point. I also think that they have the talent that it offense and difference plays up to their abilities at the same time they could go on a run

I agree.

Seems like we're a team that can rattle off a few wins, lose a game we should have won, rattle off a win, lose one or two.

I think we can beat any team in the league (We barely lost to a 7-0 Rams team....we could/should have beat the 6-1 Saints) but we're capable of blowing a very winnable game at the same time.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Cousins isn't an elite QB. He's fringe top 10. He has flaws. Redskins fans have said much of the same regarding Cousins lack of pocket awareness.

I also questioned why MN went for it on 4th down but the playcall was even worse.

Yes.

There is a reason why Washington replaced him with Alex Smith.

There is also a reason why Kansas City replaced Alex Smith with Pat Mahomes. Namely, Mahomes is the real deal. If the Vikings hadn't traded a first-rounder to the Eagles to get Sam Bradford, Mahomes might be a Viking right now. At least the Vikings would have been in a position to trade up and get him.

30 minutes ago, milanb said:

Yes.

There is a reason why Washington replaced him with Alex Smith.

There is also a reason why Kansas City replaced Alex Smith with Pat Mahomes. Namely, Mahomes is the real deal. If the Vikings hadn't traded a first-rounder to the Eagles to get Sam Bradford, Mahomes might be a Viking right now. At least the Vikings would have been in a position to trade up and get him.

Might not have needed to trade up if Shaun Hill was starting the entire season.

Archived