Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve been told numerous times by friends not born here that small talk is 100% an American thing.

I’ve also been told Americans smile too much. It makes them uncomfortable lol

Talking about small talk seems like small talk to me.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve been told numerous times by friends not born here that small talk is 100% an American thing.

I’ve also been told Americans smile too much. It makes them uncomfortable lol

My brother in law grew up in Kenya the first 17 years of his life. Small talk is a VERY African thing there to the point of where you do not bring up what you need until your guest is leaving, and then you say “let me walk you home” and then have the discussion that you needed to have then. It’s fascinating how different cultures have different social norms.

• Like 1

My god is it hard losing a family pet. Especially one who as such a good pet. Last night around 7pm, our dog just collapsed. Thinking it was a seizure cause he has had them before. He went down like he was having one but he was just acting different through out the process. He tongue changed colors form pink to blue to pink a couple of times. We thought he might have pulled through but was still not looking good. We picked him up and put him in his spot. We thought maybe it was do to heat cause it was pretty hot in the evening and his coat was pretty thick. He spent al day inside in the AC but was outside with the wife and kids. So we were putting cold towels on him and put a fan on him. He thought he was slowly bouncing back. He was picking his head go and looking at us. He was more responsive when we touched him. Thought he would fall asleep and be better in the morning. Around 10pm after getting all the kids asleep. I come down stairs and check on him and he rolled over into one of his more comfortable typical positions. So I was hoping he was just getting ready to just sleep through the night. I’m in the bathroom and I have him what sounds like coughing up a hair ball and I come and check on him but it was him just convulsing. His breathing really slowed and I went and grabbed my wife, so we could say our goodbyes. This was the first time I truly lost a pet like this. It’s hurts. I went and got a box to put him in, in one of his beds. I laid him in the bed in the box and it took me forever to close it up and move. I just knew when I close the box I’m closing that chapter. Eventually did it an hour later and moved him to the basement so I can get him cremated. Couldn’t leave him up stairs and the kids find him or put him in the hot muggy garage, that just be wrong. 

really wish I had taken more pictures of him with the kids but in the moments when they play with him I never thought about it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

My god is it hard losing a family pet. Especially one who as such a good pet. Last night around 7pm, our dog just collapsed. Thinking it was a seizure cause he has had them before. He went down like he was having one but he was just acting different through out the process. He tongue changed colors form pink to blue to pink a couple of times. We thought he might have pulled through but was still not looking good. We picked him up and put him in his spot. We thought maybe it was do to heat cause it was pretty hot in the evening and his coat was pretty thick. He spent al day inside in the AC but was outside with the wife and kids. So we were putting cold towels on him and put a fan on him. He thought he was slowly bouncing back. He was picking his head go and looking at us. He was more responsive when we touched him. Thought he would fall asleep and be better in the morning. Around 10pm after getting all the kids asleep. I come down stairs and check on him and he rolled over into one of his more comfortable typical positions. So I was hoping he was just getting ready to just sleep through the night. I’m in the bathroom and I have him what sounds like coughing up a hair ball and I come and check on him but it was him just convulsing. His breathing really slowed and I went and grabbed my wife, so we could say our goodbyes. This was the first time I truly lost a pet like this. It’s hurts. I went and got a box to put him in, in one of his beds. I laid him in the bed in the box and it took me forever to close it up and move. I just knew when I close the box I’m closing that chapter. Eventually did it an hour later and moved him to the basement so I can get him cremated. Couldn’t leave him up stairs and the kids find him or put him in the hot muggy garage, that just be wrong. 

really wish I had taken more pictures of him with the kids but in the moments when they play with him I never thought about it.

Sorry to hear about that, tough losing any member of the family including pets.

Our 12 yo Border Collie mix went in yesterday to remove a large fatty tumor (cantaloupe size) from her left thorax but it turned out to be hemangiopericytoma, a cancer of blood vessels that originate at or near capillaries. It had been diagnosed as a fatty tumor for awhile so I don't think it's the aggressive type of hemangiopericytoma that quickly spreads throughout the lungs and other organs and ruptures causing a lot of internal bleeding but rather is the slow moving type that we will have to keep an eye on that it doesn't return to the area that it was removed. She is still bleeding so she isn't home yet but we are hopeful for a happy ending... but it's scary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

So sorry.  We lost one of ours in December and it was honestly harder than I could have ever imagined.  Legit cried every day for a week, and I’m not a terribly emotional person.

Not trying to make this about me, just saying I understand what you mean about it being harder than you imagine.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Sorry to hear about that, tough losing any member of the family including pets.

Our 12 yo Border Collie mix went in yesterday to remove a large fatty tumor (cantaloupe size) from her left thorax but it turned out to be hemangiopericytoma, a cancer of blood vessels that originate at or near capillaries. It had been diagnosed as a fatty tumor for awhile so I don't think it's the aggressive type of hemangiopericytoma that quickly spreads throughout the lungs and other organs and ruptures causing a lot of internal bleeding but rather is the slow moving type that we will have to keep an eye on that it doesn't return to the area that it was removed. She is still bleeding so she isn't home yet but we are hopeful for a happy ending... but it's scary.

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

AI is the single greatest threat to eliminate humanity. I don’t think people realize how fast this crap is evolving.

If that mfer can’t transition targets any quicker than that I’ll smoke its ***.  

thumb.jpg

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

Ah damnit that sucks. I just had to put my cat down last week it’s not easy. It seems harsh but sometimes buying a new pet is the best way to get over losing one. 

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ah damnit that sucks. I just had to put my cat down last week it’s not easy. It seems harsh but sometimes buying a new pet is the best way to get over losing one. 

Yeah, I get it. Since we traded Baker I've been watching a lot of Fantasy island, Webster and Different strokes to help me cope.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I wonder if their range is better though. They don’t need eyes to see us.

Actually as @LETSGOBROWNIES already stated, it would be super easy to outflank that robot. 

In a hand to hand scenario just outflank it and bull rush it targeting the rather high mounted gun. At most that robot is 200 lbs. Easily overturned. With very immobile legs that sucker isn’t righting itself. 

With a handgun I’m taking a couple shots at its head. If I don’t see any impact I take a few shots at the gun itself. If no impact see above. 

If I’m over watch I’m setting up 500 Yards downfield and putting it down quite handily. Those pitter patter feet make for severely easy spotting. 

But let’s be realistic. That model has plenty of flaws.  Extremely slow to acquire a target. When the target was acquired it was 10 yards away. No way we’re seeing a weapon with any surviveability in real world combat action. So this tech is years away. 

Also with the very slow response time I’d bet there’s a nerd with remote control behind this robot. 

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Also with the very slow response time I’d bet there’s a nerd with remote control behind this robot. 

I agreed with everything you said except this part.

I think it being slow means it’s more likely to NOT be remote controlled. It’s probably got a slow self processor. 

Boston Dynamics makes these things specifically so they can “learn.” Investors are not spending billions of dollars on something that still needs piloted, that’s what drones are for.