Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Doesn't matter, is all for show IMO. China does not currently have the required amphibious shipping to move all of that equipment to Taiwan in a timeline that would allow them to actually invade successfully. They have the air transport for a decent amount of troops and light tanks. They need the amphibious shipping for the heavy equipment and troops in sufficient quantities to pull it off.  Is why I said 2-3 more years it will be different as then they will have the capacity. Any "invasion" they tried to pull off now would be a failure for them and as it is all about saving face here in Asia they won't do it.

I have spent the last 12 years studying this scenario for my job so feel pretty confident in my analysis and that of others that assess it similarly. 

But I guess anything is possible in the strange world we live in today.

Edited by pscottdai
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Whelp

Pelosi arrived.

In the off chance China does something stupid here....America could really use a ally who is a bit on the crazier end. They need a bear jew type of Ally and Im not sure if the UK/France/Canada are cutting it if things go down.

8 hours ago, pscottdai said:

Doesn't matter, is all for show IMO. China does not currently have the required amphibious shipping to move all of that equipment to Taiwan in a timeline that would allow them to actually invade successfully. They have the air transport for a decent amount of troops and light tanks. They need the amphibious shipping for the heavy equipment and troops in sufficient quantities to pull it off.  Is why I said 2-3 more years it will be different as then they will have the capacity. Any "invasion" they tried to pull off now would be a failure for them and as it is all about saving face here in Asia they won't do it.

I have spent the last 12 years studying this scenario for my job so feel pretty confident in my analysis and that of others that assess it similarly. 

But I guess anything is possible in the strange world we live in today.

Without commenting any further on the matter in particular, I'll add the reminder that the world is a stage and that all is not as it appears, that enemies can secretly be allies, to follow the influence/$$$. But that's all @vagueTayne will say.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

kiss-my-butt-mr-potato-head.gif

I just had to throw the smooch on the end so he doesn’t think that I think the moderation of the same 8 dudes who’ve been here for 15 years is pointless and at best results in the last 10% of posters jointing the other 90% who’ve found somewhere else to socialize online.

I definitely wouldn’t want anyone to think that’s my stance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just had to throw the smooch on the end so he doesn’t think that I think the moderation of the same 8 dudes who’ve been here for 15 years is pointless and at best results in the last 10% of posters jointing the other 90% who’ve found somewhere else to socialize online.

I definitely wouldn’t want anyone to think that’s my stance.

Having civil non partisan discourse/civil conversation about current events worldwide that have been on the brink since WWII is something else huh?

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Having civil non partisan discourse/civil conversation about current events worldwide that have been on the brink since WWII is something else huh?

Yeah but if we do that then we’re just like all of the other wildly successful platforms that have huge user bases instead of our cozy, oddly specific one here.  And who wants that?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:14 AM, MWil23 said:

Yep! Long story short he now has to ask for suggested donations and isn’t allowed to publicly advertise. 

Update (if you care): talked to the agent today and told her your friends story. She said that she knows exactly what the HOA tried to pull and the area that it usually happens in a place called Hideaway Hills. Was that it by chance?

Also, Ive spoken to about 9 different banks, small and large, about loan info on a secondary home/vacation home mortgage. Gawt dayum are rates/down payment requirements sky high. Not only are rates on a secondary home mortgage like 6-7% right now, but apparently they passed a federal law earlier this year that almost combines second home/investment property loans. 

Many of the banks I talked to said there is a mandatory 20-25% down payment and 7% interest rate. One I talked to was at 10% down and 5.7% interest, but still, 10% down on a 250-300k rental property is massive.

At the end of the day, one bank we talked to suggested because rates are sky high, to take out the equity we have in our primary residence in a line of credit and use that as a down payment so that we can hit the 30-40k down without it coming straight out of our pockets/savings. It sounds great and we do have around 100k in equity in our home, Im just not sold on taking 30-40k of that and using it as a down payment on a second home.

Is that smart to do or stupid to do?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Update (if you care): talked to the agent today and told her your friends story. She said that she knows exactly what the HOA tried to pull and the area that it usually happens in a place called Hideaway Hills. Was that it by chance?

Also, Ive spoken to about 9 different banks, small and large, about loan info on a secondary home/vacation home mortgage. Gawt dayum are rates/down payment requirements sky high. Not only are rates on a secondary home mortgage like 6-7% right now, but apparently they passed a federal law earlier this year that almost combines second home/investment property loans. 

Many of the banks I talked to said there is a mandatory 20-25% down payment and 7% interest rate. One I talked to was at 10% down and 5.7% interest, but still, 10% down on a 250-300k rental property is massive.

At the end of the day, one bank we talked to suggested because rates are sky high, to take out the equity we have in our primary residence in a line of credit and use that as a down payment so that we can hit the 30-40k down without it coming straight out of our pockets/savings. It sounds great and we do have around 100k in equity in our home, Im just not sold on taking 30-40k of that and using it as a down payment on a second home.

In my opinion, I’d highly recommend doing your homework but starting your own LLC if you’re going to use equity on a HELOC for your home to do it. It’s not bad to do per say, as long as you have a plan to pay it off soon/have your rental cover the second mortgage, HELOC payment, cleaning fees, and an emergency fund for that property if something breaks, and that’s all before you’re talking profit.

I used a HELOC to purchase my land but paid it off after sale of my house a few months later.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It’s not smart or stupid, it’s just leveraging the hell out of yourself.

If you can rent the place out and make money, it’s a good deal.  If the house has issues, doesn’t rent as well as you’d hope, overhead is more than expected, etc., can you cover the nut?

That said, the amount of money you have in equity isn’t a real thing until you sell.  You pull 50k out now and the housing market tanks or even just dips, and now all of a sudden you may be lucky to keep yourself in the black. 

• Like 1