Would it matter if a running back led the league in TD catches?

Apparition

James White currently sits one off the league lead with 6. He's also about to get even more work with Sony Michel sidelined for a few weeks. But this isn't really about him. Suppose any RB pulled this off: what would it mean for the rest of the league, given its copycat nature? Would teams start drafting more players in the mold of Christian McCaffrey near the top of the draft? Would offensive schemes change more broadly to include more motion out of the backfield to exploit LB-on-RB mismatches, particularly in the red zone (which, by the way, are a big reason why White has had the success he has)? Would defenses start using more "moneybacker" type LBs to counter this?
Would anything change at all, or would it just be considered an outlier?

7 minutes ago, Starless said:

Suppose any RB pulled this off: what would it mean for the rest of the league, given its copycat nature? Would teams start drafting more players in the mold of Christian McCaffrey near the top of the draft?

I think this is happening and will continue to happen regardless. Receiving backs aren't a new idea, and one leading the league in TD catches would be more about how they're using him differently or just forcing it to him IMO. 

How have Whites scores come so far this year? Is it sustainable?

I for one would love it, but it would be hard these days I think. I've always had an issue with RBs who aren't real good pass catchers in the NFL, basically because I feel like RBs are some of the best athletes on the field most games and should be able to catch the ball ( I know its more about than just catching). When is the last time, if ever, a RB has lead the league in TD Receptions?

Nothing would change. The league is already trending towards RBs that can at least be serviceable pass catchers. Plus, TDs have always been an opportunistic and relatively flukey stat. 

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

How have Whites scores come so far this year? Is it sustainable?

With health, yes. It’s a combo of screens,  outs, and routes out of the backfield - nothing too flashy. I don’t think he’ll lead the league by season’s end, though. 

I don't think it would change anything. Teams already look for multi-dimensional running backs now more than ever. On top of that,  touchdowns are just as much about opportunity as skill. James White is good, but nothing close to a special player... He just plays in an offense that utilizes running backs out of the backfield well, especially in the Red Zone. Any number of backs could do what he's doing if given the opportunity.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

James White is good, but nothing close to a special player... He just plays in an offense that utilizes running backs out of the backfield well, especially in the Red Zone. Any number of backs could do what he's doing if given the opportunity.

I totally agree with you, but the timing here is impeccable.  lol

Patriots OC: James White a 'really special guy'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000977886/article/patriots-oc-james-white-a-really-special-guy

Fullbacks would probably lead my offense in passing TD's. Methodical offenses have a better chance of this occurring. But yeah, I could see it. The Patriots have mastered the art of picking defenders and getting their RB's into the end zone. It's a nearly unstoppable concept if drawn up correctly and executed with precision.

Archived