WEEK 8 GB vs LAR post game discussion (L 27-29)

squire12

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think you shop the guy for a day or two and then if you don't find a taker you send the guy packing.  We don't need players freelancing out there, and he's not good enough to get away with that kind of stuff.  

Ya know.....I'm not an "angry....send a message" kinda guy - and I DONT like our depth at RB with just AJ and Jamaal - but this $hit's gotta stop.

We were right there yesterday. That game was ours to win. People can micro-coach every play call every play executed - but we were right there with the best in the league - at the end when it counted - till 88 went rogue and put us in a hole.

I'm sure there are a few other guys on this team who've done it and continue to. CM3, AR to name a few. With that said the whole thing will depend on conversations between coach and player. Yes it sucks and really sucks but something like this can bring this team together to rally around Ty and see that they are extremely capable of playing good football and can beat anyone road or home. My optimistic view anyway.

8 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

McCarthy is the "player" source here, tossing him under the bus because only an idiot would not tell his player to stay in the endzone. (I'm kidding, sort of)

I'm not sure how sarcastic this is? the Story states he was instructed to keep it in the endzone and down it and everyone knew that was the call.

4 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

McCarthy is the "player" source here, tossing him under the bus because only an idiot would not tell his player to stay in the endzone. (I'm kidding, sort of)

I wondered about that ... out of character for McCarthy to call out a player .. he just rarely does that.  My first instinct was that McCarthy was covering for himself or for Ron Zook.  I don't think that's the case though, as it really does seem that Montgomery went a big rogue out there.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wondered about that ... out of character for McCarthy to call out a player .. he just rarely does that.  My first instinct was that McCarthy was covering for himself or for Ron Zook.  I don't think that's the case though, as it really does seem that Montgomery went a big rogue out there.

Did you guys read the story? It's not "one" player or coach. It is multiple.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not sure how sarcastic this is? the Story states he was instructed to keep it in the endzone and down it and everyone knew that was the call.

I was kidding. McCarthy would have to be pretty dumb to be the source for that. TyMont already went rogue once who's to say he wouldn't again after he is benched or cut. 

The source has to be someone on defense because they would've been the ones see Montgomery get upset after being pulled. My guess would be a combination of Daniels/HaHa/CMIII. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I know .. was just saying that my initial reaction prior to reading the story was that McCarthy was on a CYA mission.

MM doesnt throw his players under the bus - meaning, he doesnt (or cant) use them to CYA. He might not rant and rave to the liking of some fans - but most he does publicly is say a player "has work to do" or "just has to do his job" or "isnt playing for some reasons...dot dot dot dot"

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

To which story are you referring? 

The one Pugger posted a link to.  It was also posted in a tweet earlier

26 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

It must be a US sports kind of thing, you don't see players in other sports getting cut for one mistake, you think a goalkeeper gets cut in soccer for not making a routine save or a striker misses an open net and ends up losing the game? Or if a player ignores his coaches tactics?  No, it's very likely he plays next week.

I think ultimately you see how it settles down after a few days, see what Montgomery's demeanour is like and if he shows remorse and if his teammates rally behind him or if there is lingering animosity. 

If the decision is made to keep him on the roster then you use this as a way of lighting a fire under Montgomery and use it as motivation, that's what great coaches would do and McCarthy tells us he is a highly successful head coach who gets the best out of his players.

This doesn't sound like a routine mistake.  Fumbling the ball is a routine mistake.  Taking the ball out of the endzone in that instance and then fumbling was an exceptional mistake

3 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

The one Pugger posted a link to.  It was also posted in a tweet earlier

This doesn't sound like a routine mistake.  Fumbling the ball is a routine mistake.  Taking the ball out of the endzone in that instance and then fumbling was an exceptional mistake

Agreed.  It speaks to football being a team sport, and a player's self interest should be above the interest of the team.  Teams win when players focus on doing their job- big or small- accept the role that is given and do their best with focus and discipline.

It was a selfish response by Montgomery.  He put himself above the team.  

Adds new meaning to the phrase "do your job".

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

If you haven't read it yet, it's going to make you even more mad:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980254/article/rodgers-doesnt-get-chance-at-hollywood-ending

Yep.  Montgomery should be traded or cut.  He provides nothing that we need.  The only thing that sucks is the team who would give the most for him is the team we play right after the trade deadline. 

Archived