NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Taking a deeper dive into Barrett's season thus far and how he can become a more efficient scorer. On the season he's scoring 22.7 ppg on .420 FG | .333 3FG | .625 FT with a .491 TS% and .469 eFG%. If he can simply improve as a shooter his game and his efficiency are going to skyrocket. 

So far this season he has taken 37 two-point jumpers with 34 of those attempts being unassisted, off the dribble pull ups. So roughly one-quarter of his offense is being generated off the bounce in the mid-range. He's currently only shooting 27% on these attempts but has massive room for improvement in this area. If he were to improve his efficiency to around 40% it would do so much for his game and ability to score. 

Additionally, he has shot 42 three-pointers with 39 of those attempts being assisted, catch and shoot opportunities. These attempts account for roughly one-third of his offense. He's currently shooting 33% on these attempts which is worlds better than he was as a shooter even last season and he still has a lot of room for improvement here as well. If he were to improve his efficiency here to around 38% it would also do so much for his game as well. 

His FT shooting could also be much better especially because he's a player that's going to get to the line a lot. He's currently a 62.5% ft shooter but you'd like to see him get into that 75-80% range. 

At the end of the day, the two main things hurting his efficiency are his mediocre mid-range game and slightly-below-average 3 point catch and shoot game. If he improved to be a 40% shooter in the mid-range, 38% shooter from deep, and a 75% FT shooter he'd be a much more efficient scorer and those aren't even huge jumps. 

He's far from a finished product but his main weaknesses are two things that can be improved by getting reps in the offseason and working on his game. He's the star child of Canadian basketball and a guy that has steadily improved so I have faith in RJ as a prospect. 

His biggest problem with his percentages is shot selection and mentality.  Even in the UK game and other parts of games I have seen, he makes horrible decisions and takes contested shots instead of finding an open man.  Its a mentality thing, and its hard to change IMO.  Seems simple but he doesn't seem to have a high IQ on the court.  He ballhogged in every game I have seen and constantly takes it 3 on 1.  It can be fixed but he is not a guy I would want on my team at the next level as a top pick.  Scoring doesn't seem to be hard to find, especially inefficient scoring.  He was a unicorn in HS, is still more athletic and bigger than 90% of college players but will be on an even playing field at the next level.  He will be decent, but I don't see super star in him.

The quality of opponents hasn't been good but RJ Barrett has been great these past couple of games. He's letting the game come to him and not forcing the action as much, shown much better 3pt shooting(still needs to work on those free throws), done a great job playmaking and has been more engaged defensively.

He's done a tremendous job of responding from the criticism after the Gonzaga game and shown why he is still one of the top draft prospects. He just has to show he can play the same way once conference play starts.

14 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

The quality of opponents hasn't been good but RJ Barrett has been great these past couple of games. He's letting the game come to him and not forcing the action as much, shown much better 3pt shooting(still needs to work on those free throws), done a great job playmaking and has been more engaged defensively.

He's done a tremendous job of responding from the criticism after the Gonzaga game and shown why he is still one of the top draft prospects. He just has to show he can play the same way once conference play starts.

The last three games he's averaging 25.0 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 4.0 apg on 67% FG and 58% 3FG. 

Lol this place is wild.

I'm not a huge believer in RJ as a superstar at the next level and I'm basing that off everything I've seen of him so I absolutely could be wrong but its not just the however many games of college bball.  Highlights aren't everything but I never was crazy impressed with his highschool highlights in comparison to the success he had which makes me question his ceiling at the highest levels.  I don't hate what I've seen from RJ at duke but I wanna see who steps up during conference play for Duke before I really adjust my opinion on those guys.  At the same time I think its absolutely possible that he gets to a Jimmy Butler type level at the NBA and he should still be a top 5 pick and probably top 3.  I just liked Cam and Zion more than RJ going into the season and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Edited by grubs10

On 12/9/2018 at 9:16 AM, beekay414 said:

Since the Maui invitational, Duke has played Indiana, Stetson, Hartford and Yale. 

Am I supposed to change my mind based on that stretch of games? 

Let's also stop beating a dead horse. That conversation ended a long time ago.

I was talking to the poster above you. 

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

how is morant's defense?

He's got the athleticism to have enormous upside on that end but he's still a work in progress. He's still learning. Give him until his 2nd NBA contract and he'll be a top notch perimeter defender.

EDIT - That all assumes that he wants to be a good defender. The tools are there, he just needs to progress. 

Edited by beekay414