Should the Packers move on from Mike McCarthy?

TheBitzMan

I have a suggestion.  Fire Mike McCarthy and then hire Mike McCarthy.  God you guys.  Be careful what you wish for.  We already have a very good HC.  I understand the frustration we had a lost season last year.  This year also not so great.  Last year Aaron was gone.  This year Aaron is playing on a bad leg.  It's not MM it's Aaron.  Team is making good progress.  Pettine is turning the Defense around.  On Offense they are OK but not great.   A lot of this is because of Aaron.  Give him major credit for playing through the injury but it is clearly affecting his play.  MM had the team ready to go.  We have had a few bad breaks this year.  Is what it is.  Firing the HC is not the answer IMO.  If they were coming out flat like that first half of the opener  I'd be on board.  The team is playing hard.  MM has not lost them.  Listened to Aaron's presser see no problems there.  Barring a complete collapse I'd like to give him at least another season to turn this thing around.  

26 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I have a suggestion.  Fire Mike McCarthy and then hire Mike McCarthy.  God you guys.  Be careful what you wish for.  We already have a very good HC.  I understand the frustration we had a lost season last year.  This year also not so great.  Last year Aaron was gone.  This year Aaron is playing on a bad leg.  It's not MM it's Aaron.  Team is making good progress.  Pettine is turning the Defense around.  On Offense they are OK but not great.   A lot of this is because of Aaron.  Give him major credit for playing through the injury but it is clearly affecting his play.  MM had the team ready to go.  We have had a few bad breaks this year.  Is what it is.  Firing the HC is not the answer IMO.  If they were coming out flat like that first half of the opener  I'd be on board.  The team is playing hard.  MM has not lost them.  Listened to Aaron's presser see no problems there.  Barring a complete collapse I'd like to give him at least another season to turn this thing around.  

W1 - Came out flat

W2 - played well for majority of game

W3 - Came out flat

W4 - one of the worst teams in league

W5 - came out flat

W6 - came out fine, then stagnant

W8 - defense good, offense stagnant until late. Player goes rogue loses us the game. 

Tell me how we haven't come out flat in the majority of the games this year? In the games we didn't our offense was stagnant for the majority of the game.  You can say that is Aaron's fault and some of it is, but guess what? Rodgers is going anywhere. That means MM is out or we just do this dance one year from now. People have been having this antiquated scheme conversations going on 2 years now. I think it is time for a new age OC to take the helm. DeFlippo and Pettine would be a heck of a combo. Have Petting be the HC of the defense and let DeFlippo handle the offense. This offense can only get better. 

Blitz you have a new GM, new Defensive coordinator, and a new Offensive coordinator.  Lot of changes.  Aaron has not played to his usual standards.  BECAUSE HE IS INJURED.  Not to hard to understand.  Guy is physically limited and unable to practice.  This makes a difference.  Can't just pretend it doesn't have an impact.  So you hire a new HC.  I would say this would set the team back at least a year as everyone has to learn a new system.  Whatever we can disagree.  I'll admit I was wrong on Capers.  Defended him up until his last year when I finally had enough.  You guys may very well get your wish.  Depends on the balance of the season.  Right now think the fire MM crowd is premature.  Unless he loses the team (which he hasn't) I still favor giving him another year to turn it around.   Lot of knowledgeable guys around here disagree.  My opinion on it for what it's worth which is not much.

Just now, Kenrik said:

Can we stop talking about coaching changes in the trade deadline thread?

@RobDemovsky
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on possibly being traded before tomorrow's deadline: "I've got about 24 hours and then we can talk." When asked if he'll be talking here or somewhere else, he said: "I don't know, you guys might be surprised." https://

Ha ha gets a contract extension and stays in GB.  That would be a surprise.

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Blitz you have a new GM, new Defensive coordinator, and a new Offensive coordinator.  Lot of changes.  Aaron has not played to his usual standards.  BECAUSE HE IS INJURED.  Not to hard to understand.  Guy is physically limited and unable to practice.  This makes a difference.  Can't just pretend it doesn't have an impact.  So you hire a new HC.  I would say this would set the team back at least a year as everyone has to learn a new system.  Whatever we can disagree.  I'll admit I was wrong on Capers.  Defended him up until his last year when I finally had enough.  You guys may very well get your wish.  Depends on the balance of the season.  Right now think the fire MM crowd is premature.  Unless he loses the team (which he hasn't) I still favor giving him another year to turn it around.   Lot of knowledgeable guys around here disagree.  My opinion on it for what it's worth which is not much.

I'm not in favor of firing MM. Dont see him as "the issue" but if you do - you elevate Philbin - and your gold. Or you go with Pettine with Philbin calling the plays. Speed bumps all removed and you consider more long term changes in the off season - when everybody else does it with minimal negative effect.

5 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Can we stop talking about coaching changes in the trade deadline thread?

@RobDemovsky
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on possibly being traded before tomorrow's deadline: "I've got about 24 hours and then we can talk." When asked if he'll be talking here or somewhere else, he said: "I don't know, you guys might be surprised." https://

I mean, technically Mac could be traded at the deadline...

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

And if Rodgers is injured again next year, you give MM another extra year? I'm not on the "Fire MM" bandwagon, just curious.

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

And if Rodgers is injured again next year, you give MM another extra year? I'm not on the "Fire MM" bandwagon, just curious.

Absolutely!  They should continue doing the same things, expecting different results.  This ensures our beloved Green Bay Football Packers will continue snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

30 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

Yes.  If your franchise QB goes down you are normally screwed.  OK OK Philly exception to the rule.  I hope the Packers pull it together and win the Superbowl this year.  Laugh all you want they are healthy and have a chance.  Be curious how many people will be calling for MM's head then.  What would it take for you guys to want to keep MM?  Win the division?  Win a playoff game?  Win a Divisional game and advance to the NFC championship?  Or is nothing short of a Superbowl win enough?  Season isn't over people.

Answer these two questions:

1:  If the Packers miss the playoffs this year, should they replace Mike McCarthy?

2: If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year, should they replace Mike McCarthy?

Then answer this 3rd question:

If the answer to the first two questions is different, is it too early to answer the question of this thread?

42 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Answer these two questions:

1:  If the Packers miss the playoffs this year, should they replace Mike McCarthy?

2: If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year, should they replace Mike McCarthy?

Then answer this 3rd question:

If the answer to the first two questions is different, is it too early to answer the question of this thread?

Maybe so. I don't bother doing it in season. I don't want to get stuck with interim Mike Pettine after this year. I think Mac probably wants out as much, if not more, than internally we want him gone. Just my feeling. I would if I was him

Here’s an article suggesting Mac could be a candidate for the Browns job, along with Riley, McDaniels, Harbaugh, Toub, etc.  Riley is an interesting prospect as it would reunite him with his former pupil, Mayfield.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-coaching-candidates-lincoln-riley-mike-mccarthy-jim-harbaugh-top-list-after-hue-jackson-fired/

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Here’s an article suggesting Mac could be a candidate for the Browns job, along with Riley, McDaniels, Harbaugh, Toub, etc.  Riley is an interesting prospect as it would reunite him with his former pupil, Mayfield.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-coaching-candidates-lincoln-riley-mike-mccarthy-jim-harbaugh-top-list-after-hue-jackson-fired/

The masochist in me wants to see McCarthy take over for the Browns and lead them to a Super Bowl win in the third year while Rodgers has to shrug at why the super duper young offensive guru can't get him to take what the defense gives him. 

Archived