• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Gurley is better relative to his peers, but Goff is more difficult to stop and impactful. The Broncos did the opposite strategy. They let Gurley run wild and dropped into coverage to stop the passing attack. They still lost, but they're the only team to hold us under 29 points.

Eh. I think most people would agree that if you take Gurley out of the game, as best you can obviously, you have a better shot. Rams fans have been banging the table for Gurley as MVP and not Goff. I feel like that’s pretty telling.

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

To be honest, I think Brees is every bit the QB that Manning was. Brady is on another level, as he should be. Manning never had under a 1% INT rate either.

Well, I think you're kind of confused. Brees simply has not earned the right to be mentioned with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Those two dominated the NFL in ways that arguably haven't been seen before and may never be seen again from that position. Brees has the edge in the rate of his completions, and he will probably end up having more longevity than Peyton,(yet to be seen 100%) but otherwise he isn't really on the same level. 

But I'm getting a little off-topic. Go check out my more detailed post about it in the Brees vs Manning thread in Comparisons. 

But more on topic, I think Gurley deserves to be in the conversation. He's on pace for 2,159 total yards and 25 touchdowns. If he keeps up this pace, he should at least sort of challenge Brees for it. 

35 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Eh. I think most people would agree that if you take Gurley out of the game, as best you can obviously, you have a better shot. Rams fans have been banging the table for Gurley as MVP and not Goff. I feel like that’s pretty telling.

Telling in the sense that Gurley was putting up monster numbers and was our only shot at a MVP. Ask any Rams fan if an injury to Goff or an injury to Gurley would be more significant for our chances this year. You know what answer you'll get. Gurley's injury largely took him out of the KC game. What happened? The Cardinals sold out to stop Gurley. They lost 34-0. Don't try these mental gymnastics to justify the lack of credit Goff gets. Us Rams fans know better.

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Telling in the sense that Gurley was putting up monster numbers and was our only shot at a MVP. Ask any Rams fan if an injury to Goff or an injury to Gurley would be more significant for our chances this year. You know what answer you'll get. Gurley's injury largely took him out of the KC game. What happened? The Cardinals sold out to stop Gurley. They lost 34-0. Don't try these mental gymnastics to justify the lack of credit Goff gets. Us Rams fans know better.

The Cardinals suck. Of course it’s easier to replace a HB than a QB, that has nothing to do with this discussion. Completely irrelevant. You’re moving the goal posts.

I think Goff is a great QB, I was one of the few people who didn’t crap on him after his rookie season. 

22 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

The Cardinals suck. Of course it’s easier to replace a HB than a QB, that has nothing to do with this discussion. Completely irrelevant. You’re moving the goal posts.

I think Goff is a great QB, I was one of the few people who didn’t crap on him after his rookie season. 

Which young QB under 27 would you take over Goff? 

1 hour ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Well, I think you're kind of confused. Brees simply has not earned the right to be mentioned with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Those two dominated the NFL in ways that arguably haven't been seen before and may never be seen again from that position. Brees has the edge in the rate of his completions, and he will probably end up having more longevity than Peyton,(yet to be seen 100%) but otherwise he isn't really on the same level. 

But I'm getting a little off-topic. Go check out my more detailed post about it in the Brees vs Manning thread in Comparisons. 

But more on topic, I think Gurley deserves to be in the conversation. He's on pace for 2,159 total yards and 25 touchdowns. If he keeps up this pace, he should at least sort of challenge Brees for it. 

What you said about Brees isn't fair.  He hasn't earned the right to be mentioned with Brady and Manning?  If anyone has earned the right to be mentioned with those two, it's Drew Brees.

The biggest issue with both Jared Goff and Todd Gurley is that they play on the same team.  They're the only two MVP candidates that have that issue and that's important because they take votes away from each other and you have people who question who the MVP of that team actually is. 

3 minutes ago, canucks9314 said:

Brees right now. I would go Goff over both Gurley and Mahomes probably for second place.

Also, perhaps a bit of a homer pick but Wilson deserves to be on the poll at least.

I hope you're not talking about Russell Wilson.

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Lol nobody predicted the Chiefs to have 5 wins. Universally I saw most with the Chiefs at 8-9 wins and most had the Saints at 10-11 wins. 

This is largely irrelevant, since it's because most people thought Mahomes would struggle in his first year starting whereas everybody already knew how good Brees was. You don't get bonus points for being underrated preseason.

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

What you said about Brees isn't fair.  He hasn't earned the right to be mentioned with Brady and Manning?  If anyone has earned the right to be mentioned with those two, it's Drew Brees.

I mean, if there is anyone from this era that has earned that right, it is him, but I don't think anyone has so he hasn't either

For what it's worth I consider him a better player than Aaron Rodgers

47 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

The Chiefs don't. I'm not moving the goal-posts. This is what you claimed:

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

You just admitted that if you literally take Goff out of the game, it hurts the Rams more. We already saw the Rams score 54 points against the third best team in football with Gurley barely in the game-plan due to an injury. That injury took Gurley out of the game. The Rams offense had no issues. The Broncos did the opposite. They let Gurley run wild and took Goff out. The Rams offense did have some issues.

There's absolutely no support for the claim that you have a better shot taking Gurley out of the game in order to force Goff to beat you with his arm. Yet, you just defended that silly take. Which makes my point for me.

Archived