• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My bad. I thought you were asking about the Chiefs. They contained him well as a receiver, but he was having his way with them as a runner. Trying to argue the Saints took him out of the game is a silly argument. It's quite easy to prove one way or another that they didn't. His rushing numbers clearly show they didn't. This isn't the homer hill worth dying on. You and I both know what forced the Rams to abandon the run, and it wasn't the Saints defense.

I mean Gurley had one 24 yard run and was very well contained on the rest of his runs. I'm not on any homer hill. The Saints contained Gurley. They completely shut him down as a receiver which is no easy task and outside of his one big run, he did nothing in the ground game. 

Gurley had runs of 2, 5, 14, 8, 4, 0, 3, 0, 0, 24, 5, 2, and 1. His big 24 yard run was late in the 3rd. Take that 24 yard run out and he averaged 3.7 YPC on 12 carries. He was very well contained. I dislike the "take out the biggest run argument" because obviously yards are yards, but I think this shows that Gurley wasn't just tearing the Saints up on the ground like you're implying. 

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean Gurley had one 24 yard run and was very well contained on the rest of his runs. I'm not on any homer hill. The Saints contained Gurley. They completely shut him down as a receiver which is no easy task and outside of his one big run, he did nothing in the ground game. 

Gurley had runs of 2, 5, 14, 8, 4, 0, 3, 0, 0, 24, 5, 2, and 1. His big 24 yard run was late in the 3rd. Take that 24 yard run out and he averaged 3.7 YPC on 12 carries. He was very well contained. I dislike the "take out the biggest run argument" because obviously yards are yards, but I think this shows that Gurley wasn't just tearing the Saints up on the ground like you're implying. 

It doesn't. You took out his longest run, and he still averaged close to 4 yards per carry. The Saints weren't "containing" Gurley on the ground. He averaged over 5 yards per carry. You're climbing the homer hill and approaching homer mountain.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It doesn't. You took out his longest run, and he still averaged close to 4 yards per carry. The Saints weren't "containing" Gurley on the ground. He averaged over 5 yards per carry. You're climbing the homer hill and approaching homer mountain.

I'm sorry, besides one big run, keeping Gurley below 4 YPC is absolutely containing him. He's the best HB in the league, and one of the best players in the league period. You can't ask for any better play when it comes to Gurley, you know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. What do you think of containing somebody as? 1.5 YPC with 10 yards total? Gurley got his biggest run of the game when the Saints were in nickel protecting a lead. They contained him. Point blank, end of discussion. Ignore the context if you want but its laid out right in front of you, if you choose to ignore it thats not on me.

Gurley had a nice 1st drive, but was largely a non-factor after that. Just under 50% of his rushing output occurred on that 1st drive, but there were several other drives where it was still an even/1 score game, but the Rams didn't want to stick with him. Here's a list of all the drives for the Rams in that game and Gurley's rushing output by drive:

2nd Drive- 2 carries for 4 yards

3rd Drive- 0 carries

4th Drive- 1 carries for 3 yards

5th Drive- 0 carries

6th Drive- 0 carries

7th Drive- 1 carry for 0 yards

8th drive- 3 carry for 29 yards (24 yard carry)

9th Drive- 1 carry for 2 yards

10th Drive- 1 carry for 1 yard

This doesn't factor in the Rams trying to utilize Gurley's versatility in the short passing game with 7 more catches for 11 yards.

2 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Difficult to believe Brees has thrown like nine jillion passes this season, but only two INT's. Incredible, just incredible. 

Actually, when you look at pass attempts this season, Brees is not throwing in bulk like many would have you think. He has thrown 356 passes this season, ranking for 17th overall. Compare that to Big Ben who has thrown the most pass attempts this season, 472. But it isn't like 356 is a small number, it's just that Brees has been insanely efficient in 2018. That he is 17th in attempts and almost 9 YPA (ranking 5th among QBs in that stat) shows to how well he is really doing. As well as the TD to INT ratio and completion percentage.

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

Actually, when you look at pass attempts this season, Brees is not throwing in bulk like many would have you think. He has thrown 356 passes this season, ranking for 17th overall. Compare that to Big Ben who has thrown the most pass attempts this season, 472. But it isn't like 356 is a small number, it's just that Brees has been insanely efficient in 2018. That he is 17th in attempts and almost 9 YPA (ranking 5th among QBs in that stat) shows to how well he is really doing. As well as the TD to INT ratio and completion percentage.

Stats are weird. For example, Ryan Tannehill has a better QB rating than Tom Brady. 

But only two INT's after 11 games? Brees gets my MVP vote. 

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm sorry, besides one big run, keeping Gurley below 4 YPC is absolutely containing him. He's the best HB in the league, and one of the best players in the league period. You can't ask for any better play when it comes to Gurley, you know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. What do you think of containing somebody as? 1.5 YPC with 10 yards total? Gurley got his biggest run of the game when the Saints were in nickel protecting a lead. They contained him. Point blank, end of discussion. Ignore the context if you want but its laid out right in front of you, if you choose to ignore it thats not on me.

You don't get to pick and choose which runs count. That's not "context." It's cherry-picking. Anyone who isn't in the process of dying on homer mountain knows what a stupid argument it is. That argument is especially stupid when he goes from 5.2 YPC to 3.7 YPC once you cherry-pick what counts. If you're going to do that, his YPC better drop to basically nothing. Otherwise, it just makes your "context" look even more foolish.

P.S. The Rams run 95% of their plays out of 11 personnel. Gurley is almost always rushing against nickel defenses. More "context" that doesn't mean a thing to anyone who understands football.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

You don't get to pick and choose which runs count. That's not "context." It's cherry-picking. Anyone who isn't in the process of dying on homer mountain knows what a stupid argument it is. That argument is especially stupid when he goes from 5.2 YPC to 3.7 YPC once you cherry-pick what counts. If you're going to do that, his YPC better drop to basically nothing. Otherwise, it just makes your "context" look even more foolish.

P.S. The Rams run 95% of their plays out of 11 personnel. Gurley is almost always rushing against nickel defenses. More "context" that doesn't mean a thing to anyone who understands football.

Good to know! So the Saints contained while Gurley while almost always being in nickel defense, thats extraordinary. Im sorry but if you don't consider Gurley having 4.1 yards per touch on 19 touches contained, I don't know what to say. For a guy of his caliber thats absolutely containing him, without a doubt. I haven't checked but I'll take a wild stab and say it was his lowest yardage game of the season. 

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Good to know! So the Saints contained while Gurley while almost always being in nickel defense, thats extraordinary. Im sorry but if you don't consider Gurley having 4.1 yards per touch on 19 touches contained, I don't know what to say. For a guy of his caliber thats absolutely containing him, without a doubt. I haven't checked but I'll take a wild stab and say it was his lowest yardage game of the season. 

Gurley had 7 rushes for 36 yards at the 7:35 mark in the second quarter with the Rams down 21-14. The Rams didn't run the ball again until the 5:26 mark in third quarter due to the hole they were in during that period. Gurley averaged 5.1 yards per carry while the game was close in the first half. He then averaged 5.3 yards per carry while the Rams were digging out of the hole in the second half. 

The Saints had no answer for him on the ground. The only thing that "contained" Gurley was the 35-14 hole. Continue your cherry-picking. I should have taken the advice I gave Rocky and not bothered with Saints homers.

P.S. Your wild stab is wrong.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Gurley had 7 rushes for 36 yards at the 7:35 mark in the second quarter with the Rams down 21-14. The Rams didn't run the ball again until the 5:26 mark in third quarter due to the hole they were in during that period. Gurley averaged 5.1 yards per carry while the game was close in the first half. He then averaged 5.3 yards per carry while the Rams were digging out of the hole in the second half. 

The Saints had no answer for him on the ground. The only thing that "contained" Gurley was the 35-14 hole. Continue your cherry-picking. I should have taken the advice I gave Rocky and not bothered with Saints homers.

P.S. Your wild stab is wrong.

They certainly had an answer for him besides that 24 yard run, as I've shown you very clearly. He averaged 4 yards a touch against them, do you not think thats containing? You also keep pretending I'm some giant Saints homer, I have no horse in this race. Both teams are in the NFC and don't effect me in the slightest. You're correct, seems like the Cardinals held him to a lower yardage mark. 

I think you're confusing "containing" and "shutting down". I've asked like 3 or 4 times now, you don't think Gurley going for under a 100 yards total and averaging 4 yards per touch on 19 touches isn't being contained? That certainly meets the qualifying marks for me. 

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Bro, you're not fooling anyone.

I’m not? I’m a Patriots fan, I feel like I’ve been vocal that I have a soft spot for the Saints, I frequent the area pretty often to visit family but I wouldn’t consider myself a Saints fan. Certainly don’t have the bias I have for them that I have for the Patriots.

You want to cling to this instead of just having a legit discussion with me, it’s completely childish. Do I need to ask for the 5th time or will you answer my question?

Archived