• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

3 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Not really, QB is the most important/valuable position so it is only natural that most of them would be QB's. It would be stupid if that WASN'T the case. 

In a league where 23 quarterbacks have a passer rating of 90 or higher, I'm not sure the position is quite as important as it was 2-3 years ago, although obviously the very upper echelon QBs give their team a big advantage. But a defensive player that creates as much havoc for an opposing offense as Donald does is extremely rare and a great interior pass rusher is probably the rarest thing in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

In a league where 23 quarterbacks have a passer rating of 90 or higher, I'm not sure the position is quite as important as it was 2-3 years ago, although obviously the very upper echelon QBs give their team a big advantage. But a defensive player that creates as much havoc for an opposing offense as Donald does is extremely rare and a great interior pass rusher is probably the rarest thing in the NFL.

Oh it is extremely easy to pass the ball in the modern NFL the average is ~95. And there appears to be a level of saturated decent QB play, it is still the most important position. But yeah I generally agree with what you said, if there was a year where a defensive player wins, I think if Mahomes and Brees faultered then it could be him. 

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I still have Brees by a hair in this. Mahomes faced the worst defense in the league, Brees played the best. It's super super close, like if I had to do a 1-100 rating scale for MVP it's like 97.5 for Brees and 97 for Mahomes.

Against top 10 defenses: 

Mahomes: 298 yards per game, 3.6 TD per game, 122 QB Rating, 32 PPG, 3-0

Brees: 206 yards per game, 1.75 TD per game, 110 QB Rating, 27 PPG, 3-1

Archived