Pat Mahomes' Season in Perspective

onejayhawk

I'm not taking anything away from Mahomes, the kid is just sensational, but I can't help believe that his numbers and those being put by other QBs are considerably helped by the appaling rule changes in favour of the offense these last few years.  You can't touch the QB, and you can't flatten the receivers anymore, so DEs are putting on the brakes and so are the DBs, and it's all leading to what the NFL want - a potential touchdown fest at every game.  I have said this before on this forum, but this may be the year that 'offense wins championships' begins as the rules are not allowing the defenses to play winning football.  I think the Chiefs have enough talent on offense, coupled with the rule changes, for them to go far in the playoffs this year.

Yeah, I think we'll get perspective on how good Mahomes' season was in a couple years. If this is the new standard, or just a great year for QB's.

Not taking anything away from him. He's the best QB to come out in the past 4 years talent wise and he is putting it all together on the field.

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Tell me about it lol.  I bring that season up every time someone tries to claim that Culpeper was only successful because of Moss

I had a Top 50 QB seasons of all time on the old forum, had Culpeppers ‘04 season I think like #19. Definitely an overlooked season with ‘04 Manning which I ranked at #2.

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Tell me about it lol.  I bring that season up every time someone tries to claim that Culpeper was only successful because of Moss

Culpepper wasn't just a product of Moss, but if Moss was healthy that full season Culpepper's season probably ends up as good as Peyton's.

On 08/11/2018 at 3:35 AM, onejayhawk said:

If you look at previous monster seasons--Marino 84, Manning 04 and 13, Brady 07--they all had two WR going off. Mahomes is the only one with a TE going ballistic. That said, some of Brees' best work was with Graham and Sproles combining for 1800 yards. 

Well, Gronk's had multiple years over 1000, including a 1300 yard and 17 TD season. Wasn't in 07, of course, but would you count that?

On 11/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, uk9erfan said:

I'm not taking anything away from Mahomes, the kid is just sensational, but I can't help believe that his numbers and those being put by other QBs are considerably helped by the appaling rule changes in favour of the offense these last few years.  

OK let's just stop there and get this excuse machine shut down.

Forget about past records. 

Relative to all the other quarterbacks in the league benefitting from these new rule changes this season, through week 8 Mahomes has thrown for more touchdowns and more yards than any other quarterback.

1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

OK let's just stop there and get this excuse machine shut down.

Forget about past records. 

Relative to all the other quarterbacks in the league benefitting from these new rule changes this season, through week 8 Mahomes has thrown for more touchdowns and more yards than any other quarterback.

Hello mate, not sure what you mean as I did say Mahomes and those being put up by other QBs, not just Mahomes himself.  And I did say he was sensational :)  There's no doubt about that.

18 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, Gronk's had multiple years over 1000, including a 1300 yard and 17 TD season. Wasn't in 07, of course, but would you count that?

No.

'07 really stands out in Brady's career. Of course, that was the Moss season, plus he had 100 catches and 1000 yards from Welker. The third receiver was Dante Stallworth, another WR. 

This week, Mahomes "only" throws two TD passes under a ton of pressure. The OL played well against Cleveland but gave up 5 sacks today. 

J

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You're basing this off 10 games?

Yeah, Im still not convinced that Mahomes is better or going to be better than Wentz or Goff, maybe even a healthy Jimmy G. 

This Chiefs offense is an absolute machine. Put Mahomes in this Philly offense and he isn't doing better than Wentz.

Gonna be a lot who don't agree with me but hey Idgaf.

To put in perspective just how much easier it is to play QB right now, consider that before this season there were THREE individual QB seasons in history with a 70+  comp %. Two being Drew Brees.

Off the top of my head last I checked there were I believe 9 QBs that were completing 70% of their passes or better. 

Archived