Pat Mahomes' Season in Perspective

onejayhawk

Through nine games PM II is on pace for 5154 yards passing and 52 TD. In history, there have bee nine 5000 yard seasons and two 50 TD seasons.

To put that in perspective, Drew Brees is on pace for 4153 yards and 32 TD. Mahomes' pace would yield the best season of Brees' HoF career. It would be comparable to Brady's 4800 yard, 50 TD, 16-0 season. Only Peyton Manning's first year in Denver is clearly better, 5407 yards and 55 TD. 

This is one of the all-time seasons and most NFL followers are just starting to notice. 

J

He's absolutely had a fantastic season.

What I will say is I'm curious as to how good he will be when the Chiefs don't have ridiculous talent at the skill-positions.

Alex Smith still put up really good numbers in this offense last year, and honestly I would imagine that even QB's like Dak, Keenum, Trubisky and Flacco would have pro-bowl years if they were inserted into the Chiefs offense.

That isn't to say Mahommes isn't playing very well and won't be a good/great QB in the future.

I just am curious to how he will do once he doesn't have Hunt/Hill/Kelce/Watkins as weapons. We've seen a lot of young QB's look like stars when they have a ton of offensive talent around them (Carr, Dak, etc.) and then become average/medicore once the talent falls off.

I do think that Mahommes looks better than Carr or Dak ever did, but my point still stands.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Through nine games PM II is on pace for 5154 yards passing and 52 TD. In history, there have bee nine 5000 yard seasons and two 50 TD seasons.

To put that in perspective, Drew Brees is on pace for 4153 yards and 32 TD. Mahomes' pace would yield the best season of Brees' HoF career. It would be comparable to Brady's 4800 yard, 50 TD, 16-0 season. Only Peyton Manning's first year in Denver is clearly better, 5407 yards and 55 TD. 

This is one of the all-time seasons and most NFL followers are just starting to notice. 

J

Brees is on pace for more like ~4700 yards and 36 TDs, 2 INTs.  I suspect you didn't realize he's played 8 games instead of 9.

But still, point stands.  Mahomes is having a great year.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

What I will say is I'm curious as to how good he will be when the Chiefs don't have ridiculous talent at the skill-positions.

Well the good news for Mahomes is the ridiculous talent you're referring to was drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds respectively.  Maybe not so hard to find replacements when the time comes.  If you can't see the difference between his production and Alex Smith's I don't know what to tell ya.

46 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

Well the good news for Mahomes is the ridiculous talent you're referring to was drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds respectively.  Maybe not so hard to find replacements when the time comes.  If you can't see the difference between his production and Alex Smith's I don't know what to tell ya.

You obviously completely missed the entire point of what I said.

I didn't say there is no difference between what Smith did last year and Mahommes this year.

My point is that the Chiefs skill players are so good that it would make even an average to mediocre QB look like a Pro-Bowler.

And I'm not really sure what your 3rd-5th round point is? Tyreek Hill is ridiculously talented, he's the fastest player in the game. He only fell that late because of the domestic violence incident. All of these talented players (Hunt, Hill, Kelce) were already proven commodities before this season.

By your logic Antonio Brown, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Tom Brady aren't talented because they were taken in late rounds.

58 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Brees is on pace for more like ~4700 yards and 36 TDs, 2 INTs.  I suspect you didn't realize he's played 8 games instead of 9.

But still, point stands.  Mahomes is having a great year.

Good catch. 

I think it's sick that as good as Brees has been, as good as Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have been, Mahomes 2018 season would be the best of (arguably) their respective careers. We will not even talk of about those that were before the offenses opened up. I will only say that in week 10 Mahomes may break a 54-year-old team record for TD passes in a season. 

J

13 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Good catch. 

I think it's sick that as good as Brees has been, as good as Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have been, Mahomes 2018 season would be the best of (arguably) their respective careers. We will not even talk of about those that were before the offenses opened up. I will only say that in week 10 Mahomes may break a 54-year-old team record for TD passes in a season. 

J

mix of incredible supporting cast, andy reid at HC, a talented arm, and defenses not allowed to play defense anymore. imagine '84 marina, or even 04' peyton/07' brady offenses playing right now. there are no great defenses anymore like the 2000s ravens/steelers/bucs. mahomes' impressive season is more of the times changing, and I think more QBs will put up similar numbers more regularly. or, perhaps this season is like 2011 where the defenses had to adjust all year and will get better.

17 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

You obviously completely missed the entire point of what I said.

I didn't say there is no difference between what Smith did last year and Mahommes this year.

My point is that the Chiefs skill players are so good that it would make even an average to mediocre QB look like a Pro-Bowler.

And I'm not really sure what your 3rd-5th round point is? Tyreek Hill is ridiculously talented, he's the fastest player in the game. He only fell that late because of the domestic violence incident. All of these talented players (Hunt, Hill, Kelce) were already proven commodities before this season.

By your logic Antonio Brown, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Tom Brady aren't talented because they were taken in late rounds.

I think just through the eye test alone, Mahomes would do well, obviously not this well, but still be a top-5 QB on the ascension. He checks every box, has no issues with his mental processing, cannon arm and good mobility allow him flexibility that other QB's don't have which elevates his surrounding cast as well ala Rodgers.

He's special even on an average team.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Alex Smith still put up really good numbers in this offense last year, and honestly I would imagine that even QB's like Dak, Keenum, Trubisky and Flacco would have pro-bowl years if they were inserted into the Chiefs offense.

That isn't to say Mahommes isn't playing very well and won't be a good/great QB in the future.

I just am curious to how he will do once he doesn't have Hunt/Hill/Kelce/Watkins as weapons. We've seen a lot of young QB's look like stars when they have a ton of offensive talent around them (Carr, Dak, etc.) and then become average/medicore once the talent falls off.

I do think that Mahommes looks better than Carr or Dak ever did, but my point still stands.

I think hed still be great without the talent at receiver. Last year he gave our 2nd TE and our 3rd/4th WR career games against Denver.

You could say Denver played with backups too, but there were starters out there. 

His stat sheet didnt look great because We leaned on the run on the goal line.

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

J

That’s stat wise. 2004 Manning was a better season than 2013

10 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think just through the eye test alone, Mahomes would do well, obviously not this well, but still be a top-5 QB on the ascension. He checks every box, has no issues with his mental processing, cannon arm and good mobility allow him flexibility that other QB's don't have which elevates his surrounding cast as well ala Rodgers.

He's special even on an average team.

I remember seeing some stat about the majority of his targets all being 2+ yards open. i.e. he makes few contested throws because his receivers always have separation.

Archived