Pat Mahomes' Season in Perspective

onejayhawk

Mahomes is having a great season but I think Goff season is very interesting. He is on pace for 5006yds passing 40/12. Most people probably doesnt know that because so much of the focus is on what Gurley is doing. His passing yards would be only 148yds fewer than Mahomes BUT he also has Gurley on pace for 1543yds rushing 21tds (2186 total yards from scrimmage with 28tds). So basically Goff is doing what he is doing with another player who is having historical season. Btw have we every seen an 5000yd passer and a 1500yd rusher on the same team? Better yet a QB with 40+ passing tds and a RB with 20+ rushing tds?

Again I think the season Mahomes is having is special but it feels like its the Mahomes show where as Goff is having a big season sharing the spotlight with Gurley. I think its easier to have a big season when the spotlight is all on you. Like LeBron is Cleveland and now with the Lakers. Its hard to have a big season when another player is having a big season on the same team. Like Steph is with KD. Thats why its hard for KD or Steph to win an MVP now. Steph has to go out there and 51pts just like he did against the Wizards and every game besides 3 he dropped at least 30pts. He has to do that just to even get mentioned as a top 3 MVP candidate because its hard. I just look at Goff and say he has to go out there and outplay Rivers, Cousins, ARod, and pass for more yards against Brees and help lead the Rams back from 21pts on the road to give the Rams a shot when Gurley wasnt as effective. Goff has to go out there and be the only player in NFL history to have 3 straight games of completing 70% of his passes to go along with 350+yds passing. If not then all the focus is on Gurley. So I just think what Goff is doing is very interesting. I cant wait for Week 11 MNF when Mahomes v Goff happens. I think its going to be better than Brady v ARod because its on a neutral site.

I'll be more curious if he can keep up this kind of play in the postseason. Chiefs will probably get a first round bye. So for three games, at least one at home, can Mahommes continue the dominance leading the Chiefs to a Super Bowl championship? Or will the offensive magic succumb to the honored tradition of "defense wins championships"? 

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

You can make the case Manning had a better season in 2004, based on peripheral numbers like Y/A, but the record stats came from 2013.

J

or you could've just watched both of the seasons first hand. '04 was dominance. '13 was beating up bad teams and throwing bubble screens/pick plays.

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

or you could've just watched both of the seasons first hand. '04 was dominance. '13 was beating up bad teams and throwing bubble screens/pick plays.

I did watch him in '13 and that is not a fair evaluation. The thing about '13 is that the magic faded as the year wore on.

Still, you make a fair point. I am prepared to accept that PM was better in '04 but did not throw as often. 

As a footnote, I will point out that Mahomes sometimes goes by PM II. 

J

16 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Mahomes is having a great season but I think Goff season is very interesting. He is on pace for 5006yds passing 40/12. Most people probably doesnt know that because so much of the focus is on what Gurley is doing.

The yardage is right, but they played 9 games and it looks like you doubled his td/ints. Still on pace for something like 35/10. Still MVP numbers, but will likely fall short of Mahomes.

1 minute ago, KellChippy said:

The yardage is right, but they played 9 games and it looks like you doubled his td/ints. Still on pace for something like 35/10. Still MVP numbers, but will likely fall short of Mahomes.

Yeah I was doing all of it in my head so you are right about the tds and ints. I do think Mahomes is going to win but again its going to be interesting to see down the stretch if the gap closes on Mahomes or not. 

He's exactly what we needed. Reid needs a gunslinger to push the ball.down the field to open up the short game. Only this one has Favre-like arm talent, leading to one of the best seasons of all time so far.

With his ability to extend the play all he's gotta do is wait for somebody to get open, and he can rifle it to him. Crazy thing is he still makes rookie mistakes, still needs to get experienced. He's got a great football iq so the more reps he gets the better he can be.

but you can see where his background really is helping him become great. playing short stop gave him hip flexibility, accuracy and foot quickness. Air Raid allows him to operate out of the shotgun with ease. He's mr. cool back there but also very competitive. Complete class act off the field. His leadership has rubbed off on the whole team and they've gained his personality.

lots of fun to watch, can't wait to see what's next.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:10 PM, blizofoz45 said:

Well the good news for Mahomes is the ridiculous talent you're referring to was drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds respectively.  Maybe not so hard to find replacements when the time comes.  If you can't see the difference between his production and Alex Smith's I don't know what to tell ya.

If it’s not hard to find replacements more teams would have that kind of talent 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, stl4life07 said:

Most people probably doesnt know that because so much of the focus is on what Gurley is doing. His passing yards would be only 148yds fewer than Mahomes BUT he also has Gurley on pace for 1543yds rushing 21tds (2186 total yards from scrimmage with 28tds). So basically Goff is doing what he is doing with another player who is having historical season. 

You're aware that Kareem Hunt is having a very good season in his own right? (On pace for 1,768 TYFS and 22TDs).

Hunt's season is not as good as Gurley's season - much like how Goff's season isn't as good as Mahomes' season.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, Bolts223 said:

He's absolutely had a fantastic season.

What I will say is I'm curious as to how good he will be when the Chiefs don't have ridiculous talent at the skill-positions.

Alex Smith still put up really good numbers in this offense last year, and honestly I would imagine that even QB's like Dak, Keenum, Trubisky and Flacco would have pro-bowl years if they were inserted into the Chiefs offense.

That isn't to say Mahommes isn't playing very well and won't be a good/great QB in the future.

I just am curious to how he will do once he doesn't have Hunt/Hill/Kelce/Watkins as weapons. We've seen a lot of young QB's look like stars when they have a ton of offensive talent around them (Carr, Dak, etc.) and then become average/medicore once the talent falls off.

I do think that Mahommes looks better than Carr or Dak ever did, but my point still stands.

What young QB's have you seen look like stars like this? None. Derek Carr's first year starting: 58% completion, 3200 yards, 21/12 TD to INT. DaK was 67%, 3667 yards, 23/4 TD to INT. Those are good for 1st year QB's no doubt, but come on, he's having one of the absolute best QB seasons EVER for ANY QB, regardless of talent around him or years in the NFL. He's projected of throwing for 66%, 5157 yards, 52 TD and 12 INT with a 116.7 Rating. That's insane! Andy Reid has had some serious talent on his offenses and has never had a QB with anything close to these numbers. Alex Smith played with basically the same line and the same talent and had a good season last year but wasn't close to this type of season. 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, stl4life07 said:

Mahomes is having a great season but I think Goff season is very interesting. He is on pace for 5006yds passing 40/12. Most people probably doesnt know that because so much of the focus is on what Gurley is doing. His passing yards would be only 148yds fewer than Mahomes BUT he also has Gurley on pace for 1543yds rushing 21tds (2186 total yards from scrimmage with 28tds). So basically Goff is doing what he is doing with another player who is having historical season. Btw have we every seen an 5000yd passer and a 1500yd rusher on the same team? Better yet a QB with 40+ passing tds and a RB with 20+ rushing tds?

Jared Goff is on pace for 5006 yards, 36 TD 11 INT. That's a very good year, but he's not the best player on that offense and he won't likely finish with the best stats. I don't think the Rams are the best team either, but they are in the conversation. Running Backs, even ones that have historic seasons, often don't win the MVP. Priest Holmes had 2 season that were better than Gurley's pace and lost to QB's. Chris Johnson had a 2006 yard season and got snubbed to a Manning 4500 33/16 season. 

If the NFL MVP vote was now it would probably go Mahomes, Brees, Gurley in that order and Gurley is probably pretty far behind Mahomes and Brees.

Recent NFL MVP

2017 Brady (13-3) 66.3, 4577, 32/8 102.8 Rating

2016 Ryan (11-5) 69.9 4944 38/7 117.1 Rating

2015 Newton (15-1) 59.8 3837 35/10 99.4 Rating (636 rushing yards/10 rushing td)

2014 Rodgers (12-4) 65.6 4381 38/5 112.2 Rating

2013 P. Manning (13-3) 68.3 5477 55/10 115.1 Rating 

2012 A. Peterson (10-6) 2097 Rushing Yards 6.0 y Y/A, 12 Rushing TD 217 receiving yards, 1 TD (Beat Manning 68.6, 4659, 37/11)

2011 Rodgers (14-1) 68.3 4643 45/6 122.5 Rating

2010 Brady (14-2) 65.9 3900 36/4 111.0 Rating 

Archived