Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

If it's the latter (coaching staff valuing guys they've invested more money in), how is that on him?

Because there's no proof that it's the latter? He's lost out to low-value FA's in the past, and now he's losing out to draft picks. We invested a 3rd round pick into Boykin and a 4th into Chris Moore - why wasn't he being favored earlier in his career then?

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because there's no proof that it's the latter? He's lost out to low-value FA's in the past, and now he's losing out to draft picks. We invested a 3rd round pick into Boykin and a 4th into Chris Moore - why wasn't he being favored earlier in his career then?

Uh....since he's been drafted, he's been playing behind:

2016: Steve Smith (FA), Mike Wallace (FA), Perriman (1st Round Pick), Kamar Aiken (900 yards & our leading receiver the previous year)

2017: Mike Wallace (FA), Jeremy Maclin (FA), Perriman (1st Round Pick)

2018: John Brown (FA), Snead (FA), Crabtree (FA)

2019: Brown (1st Round Pick), Boykin (3rd Round Pick), Snead (FA)

Do you see a pattern here...?

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Uh....since he's been drafted, he's been playing behind:

2016: Steve Smith (FA), Mike Wallace (FA), Perriman (1st Round Pick), Kamar Aiken (900 yards & our leading receiver the previous year)

2017: Mike Wallace (FA), Jeremy Maclin (FA), Perriman (1st Round Pick)

2018: John Brown (FA), Snead (FA), Crabtree (FA)

Do you see a pattern here...?

Yes? He can't get on the field no matter who he's behind - whether it be free agents or 1st round picks, or 3rd round picks. If he was flashing in practice and producing consistently when on the field in games, he'd get on the field more. Apparently he's not.

It's the same reality I've come to accept with Tyus Bowser.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yes? He can't get on the field no matter who he's behind - whether it be free agents or 1st round picks, or 3rd round picks. If he was flashing in practice and producing consistently when on the field in games, he'd get on the field more. Apparently he's not.

It's the same reality I've come to accept with Tyus Bowser.

I'm not saying practice isn't an issue (neither of us truly knows whether or not it is), but it would be disingenuous to say irregardless of how he performs in practice, the organization isn't more vested in guys they have more dollars tied to - as has been the case since Moore has been in Baltimore. Like, did Perriman deserve all the chances that he got (repeatedly)? Absolutely not, but they needed to give significantly more rope to their 1st round pick compared to their 4th round pick.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm not saying practice isn't an issue (neither of us truly knows whether or not it is), but it would be disingenuous to say irregardless of how he performs in practice, the organization isn't more vested in guys they have more dollars tied to - as has been the case since Moore has been in Baltimore. Like, did Perriman deserve all the chances that he got (repeatedly)? Absolutely not, but they needed to give significantly more rope to their 1st round pick compared to their 4th round pick.

I've already forgotten about the Perriman experience, but didn't we essentially give up on him after year 2?

But anyways moral of the story here IMO is that if Chris Moore had something to offer, someone would've seen it by now. 

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Have to win at least next 2/3, preferably all 3 but winning 3 division games in a row is tough.

If we play sound and fundamental football. There's no reason we shouldn't be 6-1 headed into the bye. 5-2 worst case scenario with Seattle being our biggest challenge coming up. 

Browns, Pit, CIN, Seattle. 

That's favorable. Then we get the Patriots at home following the bye. Tough matchup. 

3 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Sure doesn't feel this way.. 

If I'm interpreting that metric correctly, it seems to speak to percentage of total snaps in which we have prevented open receivers (meaning its a aggregate valuation). Which makes sense. If you look back at our 3 games, it's been large chunk plays (e.g. the 83 yarder to Hardman) that have gashed our defense. On a play-to-play basis, we haven't been horrible defending the pass, at least not by this measure. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you give up 300+ yards on 10 plays or 30, so I personally wouldn't put too much stock in this metric.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

If I'm interpreting that metric correctly, it seems to speak to percentage of total snaps in which we have prevented open receivers (meaning its a aggregate valuation). Which makes sense. If you look back at our 3 games, it's been large chunk plays (e.g. the 83 yarder to Hardman) that have gashed our defense. On a play-to-play basis, we haven't been horrible defending the pass, at least not by this measure. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you give up 300+ yards on 10 plays or 30, so I personally wouldn't put too much stock in this metric.

Seemed like KC had dudes running wide open on every play but maybe that's just me. Didn't matter if it was 40 yards down the field or 5 yards down the field or at the LoS, we weren't close to covering anyone.

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Sure doesn't feel this way.. 

Maybe the numbers reflect that way due to us playing that Miami offense. They had some receivers running open on occasion, but with how poor their OL was I’m sure they didn’t typically have enough time to “run open” and thus it’s worked to inflate our numbers to look better than what they should look.

So as we play more teams with competent offenses these numbers will regress towards the mean.

I know we love our deep shots and we throw the most downfield in the league (saw some tweet that we are 4% above 2nd most), but I think we need to tone it down going forward. Also, I think we need to pound the ball until the defense shows they can stop it. That first drive against the Chiefs was perfect then we started to get away from it for some reason.

Chiefs also took away Brown/Andrews. Looks like that spread the ball around argument reared it's head this week.

Nitpicky, but just thoughts.

Edited by M.10.E