Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

17 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Also, we need to pass more to our RBs.

Agreed. Better designed screen passes. The fact that we attempted so few screen passes with so much interior pressure makes little sense to me. I feel like a TE bubble screen where we allow the pressure to come through up front and hit Hurst on a screen pass upfront would’ve been so money.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Based on what we saw yesterday, I am still voting for a Tyler Biadasz pick (but I always vote for olines). Negate pressure up the middle, and then add cornerbacks and wide receivers later.

I didn't imagine seth Roberts taking snaps away from Boykin but rather Chris Moore, Snead, Scott. Imo we should not "hinder" his development but rather rely less on him. 

Agreed. Had the same thought about interior OL assistance. Only I’m switching it up. I like Biadasz, but Cesar Ruiz is a dominant force upfront. I’ll elaborate  more in the draft thread though.

In terms of Chris Moore, Smart. That makes a lot more sense. Moore has proven he can get separation in this league and we can use him as a blocker, on jet sweeps, etc. Moore, Hollywood, and Snead should be our primary alignment if Andrews isn’t healthy. We can then rotate Hurst and Boyle. It’s still insane to me that Boyle is able to do a better job to get open than Hurst against zone coverage considering Hurst has more advanced athletic gifts. Has to be the football IQ that Hurst just doesn’t have as much of having played baseball.

That was a huge problem yesterday. Our normal zone buster is Andrews with Brown over the top, but without Andrews for most of the day, we were left with Lamar having to attempt more risky throws or pull it down for the run.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. Better designed screen passes. The fact that we attempted so few screen passes with so much interior pressure makes little sense to me. I feel like a TE bubble screen where we allow the pressure to come through up front and hit Hurst on a screen pass upfront would’ve been so money.

The Chiefs killed us on RB passes all game long. No idea why we don't attempt them. Good offenses abuse them until the D stops them.

And man, if that's the most we can get outta Hurst with a banged up Andrews, sheesh.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

We can then rotate Hurst and Boyle. It’s still insane to me that Boyle is able to do a better job to get open than Hurst against zone coverage considering Hurst has more advanced athletic gifts.

Not that it’ll matter because Hurst will be traded by 3pm. Maybe he’ll jive better with Ron Jeremy as his QB over in Jacksonville.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I wonder if we are going to see less from Miles Boykin. Didn't make the transition as easy as he seemed to in the pre season.

I brought this up last week and I think it still holds true that we should be looking hard at trading for Emmanuel Sanders. We need another pass-catching weapon to take the pressure off of Andrews and Hollywood and Boykin just isn't ready yet. 

• Like 1

I think we should look into trading a 4th/5th for Solomon Thomas. Our interior DL has no pass rush and while he’s been a disappointment for their scheme, it’s possible that he might look better within ours. Throw in the fact that McPhee is only on a rental deal, that Pierce’s deal is up after this year, and the situation isn’t like to get any better next season. Thomas at worst gives us insurance for the future and at best could realize his potential and become an IPR threat.

44 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I brought this up last week and I think it still holds true that we should be looking hard at trading for Emmanuel Sanders. We need another pass-catching weapon to take the pressure off of Andrews and Hollywood and Boykin just isn't ready yet. 

Could be worth exploring, as well as Von Miller. There’s no reason why our pass rushers should be as ineffective at reaching home as they are when we’ve faced two teams back to back that have been down OL. Other teams are abusing those guys.

I say the Broncos officially go into tank mode if they lose the next two games. They’ll bench Flacco and from there the firesale might begin. Try and convince ownership for one more complete rebuild.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Could be worth exploring, as well as Von Miller. There’s no reason why our pass rushers should be as ineffective at reaching home as they are when we’ve faced two teams back to back that have been down OL. Other teams are abusing those guys.

I say the Broncos officially go into tank mode if they lose the next two games. They’ll bench Flacco and from there the firesale might begin. Try and convince ownership for one more complete rebuild.

Maybe a fresh start is exactly what Von Miller needs. After all, it worked for Dumervil. 

30 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Eh, depends on what the Broncos would be seeking in such a deal. I think Chris Moore could be a great compliment to Brown and Andrews, given the opportunity - he saw only 7 snaps in week 2 compared to 44 for Willie Snead, 38 for Boykin, and 27 for Roberts. We forget, he looked like our best receiver towards the end of last season and at the start of the offseason. I get we invested high draft capital in Boykin, but we need to let our best players play.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Eh, depends on what the Broncos would be seeking in such a deal. I think Chris Moore could be a great compliment to Brown and Andrews, given the opportunity - he saw only 7 snaps in week 2 compared to 44 for Willie Snead, 38 for Boykin, and 27 for Roberts. We forget, he looked like our best receiver towards the end of last season and at the start of the offseason. I get we invested high draft capital in Boykin, but we need to let our best players play.

We're still pretending like Chris Moore is some hidden gem sitting on our bench who just hasn't gotten an opportunity? When will this end?!

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We're still pretending like Chris Moore is some hidden gem sitting on our bench who just hasn't gotten an opportunity? When will this end?!

I'm not saying I think he's some WR1 that has yet to fully realize his potential. I'm saying he's a capable receiver who has previously shown a connection with Lamar and has at times flashed upside, but constantly gets buried on the depth chart. Tell me how any part of that statement is inaccurate. Do I think he has more potential than Boykin? Probably not. Do I think he can be more of a contributor than Boykin in the present time and take some pressure off Andrews and Brown? I do.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm not saying I think he's some WR1 that has yet to fully realize his potential. I'm saying he's a capable receiver who has previously shown a connection with Lamar and has at times flashed upside, but constantly gets buried on the depth chart. Tell me how any part of that statement is inaccurate. Do I think he has more potential than Boykin? Probably not. Do I think he can be more of a contributor than Boykin in the present time and take some pressure off Andrews and Brown? I do.

This is the part that I think is inaccurate, because if it was true he wouldn't be buried on the depth chart at a position where literally nobody is showing anything besides Hollywood.

He constantly gets buried on the depth chart because he isn't good. Every year fans go "CHRIS MOORE BREAKOUT YEAR LET'S GO!" and then the season starts and he's nowhere to be seen. The way to get on the field is to practice well, and, well he apparently just doesn't practice well because he's never on the field. So either there's some grand conspiracy here with Harbaugh refusing to play him (even after meeting with him this offseason and telling him he's the guy), or Chris Moore is just not very good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is the part that I think is inaccurate, because if it was true he wouldn't be buried on the depth chart at a position where literally nobody is showing anything besides Hollywood.

He constantly gets buried on the depth chart because he isn't good. Every year fans go "CHRIS MOORE BREAKOUT YEAR LET'S GO!" and then the season starts and he's nowhere to be seen. The way to get on the field is to practice well, and, well he apparently just doesn't practice well because he's never on the field. So either there's some grand conspiracy here with Harbaugh refusing to play him (even after meeting with him this offseason and telling him he's the guy), or Chris Moore is just not very good.

You basically just said what I was going to rebuttal with. Chris Moore has shown flashes in actual games, but seems to constantly get buried on the depth chart for one of two reasons: he doesn't practice well/distinguish himself in practice or the coaching staff/front office simply value guys at the position who they've invested more $$$ in (draft picks/free agent signings). None of that outright means he can't contribute/be more of a contributor than the guys ahead of him on the depth chart; it simply means he hasn't been given the opportunity to do so (at least on a consistent basis).

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

You basically just said what I was going to rebuttal with. Chris Moore has shown flashes in actual games, but seems to constantly get buried on the depth chart for one of two reasons: he doesn't practice well/distinguish himself in practice or the coaching staff/front office simply value guys at the position who they've invested more $$$ in (draft picks/free agent signings). None of that outright means he can't contribute/be more of a contributor than the guys ahead of him on the depth chart; it simply means he hasn't been given the opportunity to do so (at least on a consistent basis).

And all I'm saying is that at this point in his career, that's on him, not anyone else because he's had ample opportunities to seize the moment and be that guy, but hasn't.