Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

I can't help but to keep thinking about this interview. The run we've been on is spectacular. He's delivered in everything he's done. I can't help but believe this is a team of destiny this year. Lamar may just ball out a little more and get us a ship this year. 

I just have this vision of SuperBowl week leading up to the game and them playing this clip where he says "they're going to get a SuperBowl outta me, belee dat" 

I can not wait for the playoffs to see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I can't help but to keep thinking about this interview. The run we've been on is spectacular. He's delivered in everything he's done. I can't help but believe this is a team of destiny this year. Lamar may just ball out a little more and get us a ship this year. 

I just have this vision of SuperBowl week leading up to the game and them playing this clip where he says "they're going to get a SuperBowl outta me, belee dat" 

I can not wait for the playoffs to see what happens. 

Y'all wanna know the best part of this season?

This isn't a "we're all in because our window is closing!" season. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, a growth year, a transition year.

Instead, we're an NFL powerhouse because we have Lamar Jackson. This ride is just getting started.

• Like 1

The Vick comp is low hanging fruit, but also shortsighted if we're being honest. We all know who Lamar most closely resembles from every other perspective besides that of athleticism. The insane drive and obsession to win, the natural leadership ability, the dedication to technical growth, the innate pocket presence, and the massive chip on their shoulder? You don't even have to say it. And Lamar wants to walk away from the game with even more glory than that man, it's scary.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

The Vick comp is low hanging fruit, but also shortsighted if we're being honest. We all know who Lamar most closely resembles from every other perspective besides that of athleticism. The insane drive and obsession to win, the natural leadership ability, the dedication to technical growth, the innate pocket presence, and the massive chip on their shoulder? You don't even have to say it. And Lamar wants to walk away from the game with even more glory than that man, it's scary.

The only way to comp Lamar is by combining players. Lamar = Gale Sayers + Joe Montana or something like that. As a rusher his comps are the most elusive backs of all time. As passer its tougher to find a comp, but Lamar is still developing that part of his game. For now its a QB that does his damage over the middle and hitting short range targets in stride. Good going through his progressions and makes sound decisions. Maybe right now it is Chad Pennington with a bigger arm and more arm angles. 

On 12/15/2019 at 7:01 PM, RavensfanRD said:

Didn't come right out and say he didn't have confidence, but it seem implied.

https://clutchpoints.com/ravens-news-terrell-suggs-now-with-cardinals-explains-why-he-left-baltimore/

@DreamKid @drd23

You want the young kids to build their own legacy right? Now you wanna come back after the fact. It was some audio on 105.7 the fan, but of course I don't know where to grab that at. The way he sounded made me seem it was more than what he's quoted as saying in the link above. But again, I'm all for him returning. Would be a decent upgrade.

Yeah I remember the initial article and interview that’s the takeaway I got as well. The way he hesitated before he spoke, all that, seemed like he felt disrespected by the fact that they didn’t offer him an extension and forced him to play out his deal before resigning him. We offered a good deal but he had already made up his mind, he said he also didn’t want to ask for Ray’s advice because he wanted to be “his own man” or something like that.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, sp6488 said:

but even the most optimistic of us didn't see this season going THIS well.

Are you not calling me a fan bro? 😂

Just kidding. I think most accused me of sipping the purple cup a little too much. I teetered between Lamar as the MVP and thinking there’s no way the NFL media wouldn’t vote another name over Lamar just to keep propping the “QB archetype”. But yeah I didn’t think he’d his these TD numbers. I think I predicted something like 38 total TDs, he’ll exceed that number for sure. I think I had us at 12-4/13-3 (I’ll have to recheck that thread) so we might exceed that, we’ll see how these next two weeks go.

But I agree with the idea that Suggs should’ve believed. Jimmy was all in on Lamar in last years playoffs which I loved. Suggs on the other hand never seemed to bridge that gap. He seemed too “old guard” so if he ultimately gets undressed in the playoffs and sees his final NFL game losing to the Ravens in the AFCCG... it’ll be just cause for his lack of belief in the ball club and what it stood for.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Are you not calling me a fan bro? 😂

Just kidding. I think most accused me of sipping the purple cup a little too much. I teetered between Lamar as the MVP and thinking there’s no way the NFL media wouldn’t vote another name over Lamar just to keep propping the “QB archetype”. But yeah I didn’t think he’d his these TD numbers. I think I predicted something like 38 total TDs, he’ll exceed that number for sure. I think I had us at 12-4/13-3 (I’ll have to recheck that thread) so we might exceed that, we’ll see how these next two weeks go.

But I agree with the idea that Suggs should’ve believed. Jimmy was all in on Lamar in last years playoffs which I loved. Suggs on the other hand never seemed to bridge that gap. He seemed too “old guard” so if he ultimately gets undressed in the playoffs and sees his final NFL game losing to the Ravens in the AFCCG... it’ll be just cause for his lack of belief in the ball club and what it stood for.

I am also of the belief that Suggs left because he didn't believe in Lamar. It's funny, that may have been the case last year. This year? He could be the exact reason players view us as THE destination spot in FA. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

With what's come out about the Jaguars' organization. I wonder if Yanny hitting FA is any more likely?

And while we'll 100% be paying some of our own homegrown players(and already have in some cases), would potentially signing Ngakoue instead of/over Judon send a weird message to the players? 

James Hurst and McPhee celebrated their birthdays today at 28 and 31 years old. Why did I have the understanding, that those two were several years older? If Hurst can keep up his play when called upon as he did against the Jets, we can have a solid solid backup for years and on a snap count cut in half compared to this year, McPhee could be a great veteran presence at outside linebacker for 2-3 more years.

Depending on what happens in free agency this year, we could see much less roster turnover than our previous years with all the pieces we have under contract and the possibilities that we extend cornerstones like Stanley, Chuck Clark, Humphrey, Bowser.

And yes, I an beginning to include Bowser into the group of players we seriously should consider extending before he hits his final year and free agency. Thats a big difference compared to my view on him when we went into the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

With what's come out about the Jaguars' organization. I wonder if Yanny hitting FA is any more likely?

And while we'll 100% be paying some of our own homegrown players(and already have in some cases), would potentially signing Ngakoue instead of/over Judon send a weird message to the players? 

1 minute ago, Danand said:

And yes, I an beginning to include Bowser into the group of players we seriously should consider extending before he hits his final year and free agency. Thats a big difference compared to my view on him when we went into the season.

To what Dan said, I think if we extend Bowser and pay him, then there would be no bad message sent to the players because it shows that we WILL invest in our LBers/pass rushers. So I think it might ultimately be viewed by them as a situation as with Eric Weddle where we have a leader along the defense that went to a PB, but we decided to go and get a more explosive option.

That said, Judon has been making a lot less of those “imbecile” type of “what was he thinking” type plays as the season went on while continuing to make the impact plays. I’m becoming more inclined to “consider” us resigning him, but it’ll depend on what he does come playoff time perhaps for me to feel more comfortable with him on that front.

• Like 1

Judon certainly improved in almost all areas this year and deserves the contract. Daniel Jeremiah often talks about if a player is a truck or a trailer and this is where I am concerned, that Judon is a trailer, hence not the guy who consistently wins his one-on-one matchup to make the play or help others make the play.

He is so well-rounded though, and a clean-up sack is still a sack, and if he makes 8-10 of them every year along with the rest of the plays he make, then he is worth a top contract for an outside linebacker. I don't think we are in a Vic Beasley situation, where he makes more sacks in one year and then fall off. Judon has so far been consistent in what he has done as well as the way he has improved.

As DMB mentioned, he has also removed the stupid plays and penalties that came with his play other years. We can't sign every single player to an extension, but getting Judon back, extending Bowser and having Ferguson as the 3rd option at outside linebacker with a talented rookie, out outside linebacking core looks pretty well.

We also have to factor in, that Jihard Ward has played much better than expected and stayed healthy as well.