Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Playing around with the playoff machine a little, seeing a couple of other relevant games this week:

- We should also be rooting for the Raiders on Thursday against the Chargers, so that their playoff hopes are still alive when they face Miami next week and don't roll over. 

- If the Saints beat the Chiefs this week, it  creates space for an unlikely scenario where the Bills take the coveted 1 seed w/ a 3 way tie at the top of the AFC at 13-3 if the Chiefs somehow lost in Week 17. Unlikely to happen but would maximize the odds of the Bills going full strength against the Dolphins in Week 17. So... go Saints. 

Good points, but it's really hard to predict how hard teams are going to play late in the season. For instance the Dolphins beat the Pats in week 17 when the Pats had everything to play for and the Dolphins season was done. For that reason, next week's game between the Dolphins and Pats will be interesting. I know Belichick wants revenge for last year, even though they are pretty much out of the race. 

• Like 2

As injuries to our CB room continue to mount and force desperation moves, remember- Darious Williams was ours. The Marcus Peters deal has worked out for us, no doubt. However the whole Rams poaching another top flight young Rookie deal CB from us thing... definitely removes some of the shine from that move though.

Oh, and Zach Sieler was ours too....

Two rare and big blunders during the DeCosta era. Can't tell you how much this bothers me lol. Both players flashed at cornerstone positions and we just gambled too much with them. Live and Learn for EDC with these two young rising names.

Edited by DreamKid

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Did Williams or Sieler ever flash when they were here though?

Yeah, I was going to say, I didn't even remember Williams was on the team until he started having a good year. And Sieler was the prototypical great in practice, but non existent in games player when he saw the field for us. Tough to lose them for sure, but it's all in hindsight.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, I was going to say, I didn't even remember Williams was on the team until he started having a good year. And Sieler was the prototypical great in practice, but non existent in games player when he saw the field for us. Tough to lose them for sure, but it's all in hindsight.

Strong disagree. Playing the slash and stash game with young, super athletic players who flash at key/pillar positions is always going to be a high risk move.

Sieler tested out as a super athlete pre draft and was a beast during his first preseason, one of the top Rookie DI's league wide. Forced us to cut (former 3rd Round Pick)Carl Davis. Then in year 2 he was 50/50 with Vet Chris Wormley for the starting spot at 5T as confirmed by Wink and Harbaugh. Even after a preseason where he got limited time because we were playing guys like Willie Henry deep into the 4 quarter- trying to jump start said bum's failing career, Sieler had pressures in limited time during the Reg season and almost got a Sack against the Bengals for us in 2019 too.

Williams, another great athlete, was a stud in practice who would occasional flash in preseason games. He made the roster initially, but was cut when Jimmy Smith returned. We obviously thought we could stick him back on the practice squad but it didn't work out. The Rams noticed him flashing against their WRs in our joint practices and preseason game(same time they noticed Kenny Young), then poached him when he became available.

Williams was cut because we had an abundance of talent at CB and Sieler was cut because the new team philosophy was to go as light as possible at DI(Wormley was literally the only non NT we kept to finish the year). DeCosta thought he could keep both in his back pocket on the PS, but it didn't work out.

I'm not an all knowing billi IQ football scout genius by any stretch(My multiple ranting posts about DeAndre Hopkins becoming a sure fire bust prove as such), but there's a reason I wasn't happy about either of these players hitting waivers. 

When you have young players who aren't getting starting reps, there's only so many hints you can get as to their future potential. College Tape, Age, Displayed/Knowable Work Ethic, Measurables, Athletic Profile/Potential, Practice Success, Preseason/Limited reps, etc. Sieler and Williams didn't fall short in really any area. It's all about projection. If your system for determining which players to keep comes down to only retaining those who immediately look and perform like future 10 year NFL starters, you'll never fill a 53 man roster. You need to take and act upon what's given.

This stuff happens. You're not going to hook every big fish that comes through your doors, I mean we had James Harrison chilling on our PS for a bit. These two instances just really suck. I mean Sieler was Ozzie's final draft selection. The lore alone on that is incredible lol. And even with our depth at the time, DeCosta knows better than to ever violate the holy NFL tenant of "Never cut a CB who displays talent".

Also this is the clearly the repercussion for having a Preseason dynasty(and those dumb joint practices) lol. MFs pay too much attention to your deep depth on the All-22 😡.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Did Williams or Sieler ever flash when they were here though?

Williams def flashed in pre-season, but then again so did guys like Omar Brown

Can't say I recall Sieler doing much except for the odd play here or there, but as a physical freak from a small school, it would be normal for him to have a longer transition period from college to the pros

58 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The #DawgPound🤢🤢*Cringe* is very upset still at the JK tweet and all of it's ripples. This guy Ryan is sharing screenshots like it's going to reverse the results of the game. Let it go.

They're angry little dweebs. I don't agree with trash talking someone with a concussion but it's a big boys game 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The #DawgPound🤢🤢*Cringe* is very upset still at the JK tweet and all of it's ripples. This guy Ryan is sharing screenshots like it's going to reverse the results of the game. Let it go.

They literally nominated a guy who attacked another player with his helmet during a game as their Walter Payton man of the year lmao

• Like 3

Gentlemen...

We have to root our balls off for NE and PIT the last 3 weeks of the season.

Feels gross but it must be done.

NE plays MIA (who we can't have win out), and PIT plays IND + CLE (both of whom we can't have win out...or to say, we can't have both win out).

If MIA, CLE, and IND all win out, we're sitting at home at 11-5 with a +100 point differential.