Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

20 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I want the record to reflect right now that no matter what happens, if I blame Lamar for anything from this point on this season I want everyone to just quote this post and tell me to STFU.

Been rumors that Lamar isn’t exactly attacking his rehab like a guy who plans to get back within the 1-3 week diagnosis for the PCL. Zach Wilson returned in 2-3 from same injury I believe. If Lamar misses this week and next week and potentially jeopardizes the playoff situation after missing 6 weeks with a foot bone bruise last year when any win would have gotten us in the playoffs...i’m definitely going to hold it against him lol

People completely dismissed the Skip Bayless inside source earlier this year who said Lamar was falling asleep in meetings, etc. just because it was Bayless, but it seems like there's something there. Idk. Guy does miss more practice from being sick than any guy I've ever seen and he's 5 years in. And if this PCL lingers longer than it's supposed to that's 2 injuries in successive years that took him longer than anticipated to come back from.

I don't think Lamar is blameless in this weird standoff between him and the front office. Just because he's clearly the best player on his team doesn't mean he isn't also making some poor decisions himself. But when it comes to Lamar people for some reason need it to be black and white...completely binary. It can both be entirely true that the FO has hampered his success with how they've built the team (they have) and that he also hasn't exactly approached this year the way he should have from a preparation/performance standpoint.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Been rumors that Lamar isn’t exactly attacking his rehab like a guy who plans to get back within the 1-3 week diagnosis for the PCL. Zach Wilson returned in 2-3 from same injury I believe. If Lamar misses this week and next week and potentially jeopardizes the playoff situation after missing 6 weeks with a foot bone bruise last year when any win would have gotten us in the playoffs...i’m definitely going to hold it against him lol

People completely dismissed the Skip Bayless inside source earlier this year who said Lamar was falling asleep in meetings, etc. just because it was Bayless, but it seems like there's something there. Idk. Guy does miss more practice from being sick than any guy I've ever seen and he's 5 years in. And if this PCL lingers longer than it's supposed to that's 2 injuries in successive years that took him longer than anticipated to come back from.

I don't think Lamar is blameless in this weird standoff between him and the front office. Just because he's clearly the best player on his team doesn't mean he isn't also making some poor decisions himself. But when it comes to Lamar people for some reason need it to be black and white...completely binary. It can both be entirely true that the FO has hampered his success with how they've built the team (they have) and that he also hasn't exactly approached this year the way he should have from a preparation/performance standpoint.

I mean I feel u but at the same time he is the winningest qb at the age of 25 and he has missed 10 games and didn’t start the first 9 of his career…. and this is with a team that was 4-5 and on a 3 game losing streak when he took over…. I kno we are far removed from that but it is painfully clear that he is the difference in winning in losing for this team majority of the time… I look at it like this… in year 5 I believe he feels there isn’t much he could prove to this team that they don’t already kno… Especially considering they did the bare minimum in the sense of offensive weapon additions to help his play.. he has won 2 out of every 3 games he has played like he always does and the team has struggled without him like we always do… if we feel we can do better without him let’s just blow it all up now and get something for him and do a quick rebuild.. Lamar deserves better than what we have done for him… it just is what it is 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I mean I feel u but at the same time he is the winningest qb at the age of 25 and he has missed 10 games and didn’t start the first 9 of his career…. and this is with a team that was 4-5 and on a 3 game losing streak when he took over…. I kno we are far removed from that but it is painfully clear that he is the difference in winning in losing for this team majority of the time… I look at it like this… in year 5 I believe he feels there isn’t much he could prove to this team that they don’t already kno… Especially considering they did the bare minimum in the sense of offensive weapon additions to help his play.. he has won 2 out of every 3 games he has played like he always does and the team has struggled without him like we always do… if we feel we can do better without him let’s just blow it all up now and get something for him and do a quick rebuild.. Lamar deserves better than what we have done for him… it just is what it is 

I definitely agree with you here.

I just think it's worth pointing out that it isn't always the "evil FO sabotages completely innocent and bereft of any blame QB; offers him insultingly low $" situation that most people are repeating ad nauseum at this point. I think it's totally reasonable to believe everything you stated above, while also believing that Lamar hasn't exactly handled everything well/played to his expected ability on his end the last 2 seasons or so. That's pretty much where I stand

Edited by Ray Reed

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

I just think it's worth pointing out that it isn't always the "evil FO sabotages completely innocent and bereft of any blame QB; offers him insultingly low $" situation that most people are repeating ad nauseum at this point. I think it's totally reasonable to believe everything you stated above, while also believing that Lamar hasn't exactly handled everything well/played to his expected ability on his end the last 2 seasons or so. That's pretty much where I stand

I feel u.. last year was supposed to be the year… if we were healthy I think we woulda won it all.. we loss our rbs and secondary and Stanley never made it back healthy… The way the team was constructed.. had we stayed  relatively healthy ( meaning instead off losing all our rbs just losing 1 or instead of losing all our starting corners we don’t lose em at all lol) we would made a strong push because we actually had very complimentary weapons outside if we had our running backs… But that window has shifted and now we have Sammy…. DJax instead of Hollywood and Dmarc Rob instead of Bateman… and hill will probably be the return man with proche as punt returner… our oline is better though so maybe Lamar can get it done… but we shall see… 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I feel u.. last year was supposed to be the year… if we were healthy I think we woulda won it all.. we loss our rbs and secondary and Stanley never made it back healthy… The way the team was constructed.. had we stayed  relatively healthy ( meaning instead off losing all our rbs just losing 1 or instead of losing all our starting corners we don’t lose em at all lol) we would made a strong push because we actually had very complimentary weapons outside if we had our running backs… But that window has shifted and now we have Sammy…. DJax instead of Hollywood and Dmarc Rob instead of Bateman… and hill will probably be the return man with proche as punt returner… our oline is better though so maybe Lamar can get it done… but we shall see… 

It’s worth noting too that Vegas has us as 7.5 favorites currently against Atlanta and usually with injured QBs they don’t post the spread until final injury reports...so it would seem Vegas thinks he’s playing this week? Interesting. Hopefully he does but I don’t think he’s practiced since the injury so I would doubt it. Worst case he needs to come back against Pittsburgh though 

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Meh. I’d be falling asleep within a Roman led team meeting too. Especially after no WR wants to come play within his garbage offense, they trade away my BF who hates the system and was arguably the best homegrown WR in franchise history, and then as opposed to paying me for grinding through all my designated years they don’t pay me my long term deal and they don’t nab me a new weapon.

This is the only year where Lamar has very visibly been going through the motions so I doubt it’s just a “he plays video games and is lazy thing” and moreso that he’s a new dad and this organization doesn’t care to invest in him, so why should he invest in them. They’re treating him like a hood booger and not like other organizations are treating their franchise signal callers.

I’ve been 25 and this organization’s hubris is astounding to believe they could a) not pay him and b) not give him weapons and then c) think he wouldn’t respond in some type of way. Lamar’s response is about as professional a response that one can have to this type of “commitment” from an organization with what he’s accomplished.

EDIT: And this isn’t designed to be an attack on your opinion if it comes across that way, more of a rant on this organization.

Theyre literally telling this dude “don’t worry about what social media says and just play ball” but then when you don’t pay him what other dudes are getting then it comes across as “shut up and dribble.”

I understand being pragmatic, but this is the going rate and if they wanted a lower rate, they should’ve signed him before the Watson deal. As Shannon Sharpe says, yesterday price isn’t todays price and todays price won’t be tomorrow’s. If the Ravens were smart they would’ve just gotten this deal done while Lamar was on injury hiatus.

Edited by diamondbull424

As a side note, I really do wonder who goes on in our offensive meeting room, particularly when it comes to watching film of our passing plays.

For example, everyone watch this play (go to the 0:24 time mark): 

Please, for the love of GOD, tell me what the **** is our QB supposed to do on this play when THIS is what he sees when he's at the top of his drop:

z29DIfM.png

WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE?! WHAT IS THE DESIGN?! WHAT IS THE GOAL?!

I mean, clearly Andrews and Duvernay are supposed to be setting picks but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS THIS?!

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Please, for the love of GOD, tell me what the **** is our QB supposed to do on this play when THIS is what he sees when he's at the top of his drop:

z29DIfM.png

WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE?! WHAT IS THE DESIGN?! WHAT IS THE GOAL?!

I mean, clearly Andrews and Duvernay are supposed to be setting picks but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS THIS?!

What’s more because the play comes in late and we need to rush the snap, the QB doesn’t have time to read the defensive coverages to see what might be available short.

If Pat Ricard were faster, that’d be a good quick option to attack, but he’s a FB and with not being able to read the coverage before the snap, Huntley has no chance to identify the quick read.

This play had no chance. This is the kind of play that puts your QB to sleep and where the solution is simply to execute better.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

What’s more because the play comes in late and we need to rush the snap, the QB doesn’t have time to read the defensive coverages to see what might be available short.

If Pat Ricard were faster, that’d be a good quick option to attack, but he’s a FB and with not being able to read the coverage before the snap, Huntley has no chance to identify the quick read.

This play had no chance. This is the kind of play that puts your QB to sleep and where the solution is simply to execute better.

I also want to screen shot the INT that Huntley threw against the Browns on that slant play on 3rd and 15. The one where Duvernay tries to set a pick on a guy 8 yards down the field and the guy just steps in front of him. 

Huntley executes the play perfectly, puts the ball right where it should go but since Duvernay can't set a pick on a guy 8 yards down the field (and again, why should he reasonably be expected to do this????) it's thrown right at a defender. Furthermore, we're throwing a SLANT TO 35 YEAR OLD DESEAN JACKSON IN TRAFFIC.

Like, the way these plays are drawn up and who they're drawn up for is just straight up ridiculous. 

Lastly, to your point about everything being rushed, I think it was the 1st 4th-down play to Proche that we failed to convert on where it was exactly that. We broke the huddle with 7 or so seconds, got to the line, had to rush everything, then failed to convert because EVERYTHING was rushed out of the huddle. Huntley doesn't have time to see the coverage, the motion guy is rushed, the entire play is rushed.

But nah, Greg Roman just thinks we need to execute better. I'd be falling asleep in those meetings too having to watch this crap and be insulted by him telling me we just need to execute what he's calling better. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. I’d be falling asleep within a Roman led team meeting too. Especially after no WR wants to come play within his garbage offense, they trade away my BF who hates the system and was arguably the best homegrown WR in franchise history, and then as opposed to paying me for grinding through all my designated years they don’t pay me my long term deal and they don’t nab me a new weapon.

This is the only year where Lamar has very visibly been going through the motions so I doubt it’s just a “he plays video games and is lazy thing” and moreso that he’s a new dad and this organization doesn’t care to invest in him, so why should he invest in them. They’re treating him like a hood booger and not like other organizations are treating their franchise signal callers.

I’ve been 25 and this organization’s hubris is astounding to believe they could a) not pay him and b) not give him weapons and then c) think he wouldn’t respond in some type of way. Lamar’s response is about as professional a response that one can have to this type of “commitment” from an organization with what he’s accomplished.

EDIT: And this isn’t designed to be an attack on your opinion if it comes across that way, more of a rant on this organization.

Theyre literally telling this dude “don’t worry about what social media says and just play ball” but then when you don’t pay him what other dudes are getting then it comes across as “shut up and dribble.”

I understand being pragmatic, but this is the going rate and if they wanted a lower rate, they should’ve signed him before the Watson deal. As Shannon Sharpe says, yesterday price isn’t todays price and todays price won’t be tomorrow’s. If the Ravens were smart they would’ve just gotten this deal done while Lamar was on injury hiatus.

It didn't come across that way, you're good. I definitely get the frustration...I feel a lot of it too. Feel like this has just been botched across the board and its frustrating to watch play out. It also doesn't help that we have, what...1 playoff win since 2014? It's not like this is the 2008-2014 "win multiple playoff games a year" days. The org is losing the benefit of the doubt with this stuff for most people and deservedly so

• Like 1

Yeah man… I really think Lamar has checked out and I honestly can’t say I blame him… We played hard ball with a guy that has been this era of ravens football in a way that we never played with Ray Lewis… Lamar is part of a generation that takes things personal in a way that makes separating business and feelings nearly impossible… Now I’m not saying this isn’t fixable but I don’t think it’s a clear path to common ground… Motivation is a huge part of a humans devotion to a particular task… At this point I don’t see where motivation would come from for Lamar as it pertains to the Ravens… Like I’ve said in multiple previous posts we as a organization have this “smartest guy in the room” mentality… and we have had a ton of success doing things the “Raven” way… Lamar is my favorite offensive player of all time collegiate or pro… but sadly I’m reluctant to believe he will be a Raven for much longer.. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Yeah man… I really think Lamar has checked out and I honestly can’t say I blame him… We played hard ball with a guy that has been this era of ravens football in a way that we never played with Ray Lewis… Lamar is part of a generation that takes things personal in a way that makes separating business and feelings nearly impossible… Now I’m not saying this isn’t fixable but I don’t think it’s a clear path to common ground… Motivation is a huge part of a humans devotion to a particular task… At this point I don’t see where motivation would come from for Lamar as it pertains to the Ravens… Like I’ve said in multiple previous posts we as a organization have this “smartest guy in the room” mentality… and we have had a ton of success doing things the “Raven” way… Lamar is my favorite offensive player of all time collegiate or pro… but sadly I’m reluctant to believe he will be a Raven for much longer.. 

You speak of motivation, let me play Devil's Advocate here. Let's say we paid Lamar a fully-guaranteed deal and let's also say that right now he's feeling no motivation. Where would the motivation be coming from if he got his deal, in this scenario?

He just got paid. Roman is still here. No receivers. What's he playing for?

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You speak of motivation, let me play Devil's Advocate here. Let's say we paid Lamar a fully-guaranteed deal and let's also say that right now he's feeling no motivation. Where would the motivation be coming from if he got his deal, in this scenario?

He just got paid. Roman is still here. No receivers. What's he playing for?

Honestly I think u can deal with Roman as Lamar if you’ve already got paid… He isn’t a guy that comes off disloyal.. He seems like a guy that feels his loyalty is being taken for granted… it all started with the false narrative that Lamar felt he didn’t deserve to be paid because he hadn’t won a championship yet… to bisciotti voicing his opinion on the Watson deal and his stance on contracts when it didn’t even need to be addressed at that point… to the leaking of the supposed offered contract by the Ravens… it’s like the front office has been painting a narrative time and time again all while Lamar has been quiet and done things strictly as professional as he could have been asked.. it’s only so much u can take until it gets to a point where u don’t feel ur best interest is at heart…

• Like 1