Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

On 12/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Ray Reed said:

Chargers won last night unfortunately, and they have the conference tie-breaker over us from what I saw on ESPN this morning, so if we end up tied with them, we get the 6th seed.

Their last two games are Rams and Broncos, so it's looking like we probably have to win out to get either the division or the 5th seed. A loss in the next two games likely* means we're the sixth seed, and most likely playing at one of KC/BUF/CIN in round 1, which hurts.

*The only caveat to this is if Buffalo beats Cincy, we lose to Pittsburgh, but manage to win the finale at Cincy. In that case we would claim the division. I just have a tough time seeing this Bengals team dropping two straight at home to end the year.

Edited by Ray Reed

22 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Said in a topic before, they said Lamar was fine and we never saw him again last year. I thought he'd be ready MAYBE for this Steelers game. That isn't the case, so we probably won't see him until playoff time which is fine. Even if we're playing for the division in week 20 or whatever the hell it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Odafe Oweh - “edge setter” 😂

This collapse of Oweh is utterly bizarre, one of the weirdest falls offs I've ever seen. His Rookie year wasn't just some hype job..... The kid was commanding double teams/extra attention, showcasing masterful snap timing, flashing monstrous athleticism every week, forcing TOs, making game altering plays, backside pursuit and outside contain was insane, all the analytics behind him were super promising. For a long stretch he was head to head with Parsons for DROY.

Keep in mind he was supposedly fighting through a shoulder injury most of last year too.

I know he lost Drew Wilkins and I know he took a ton of SAM reps throughout camp, but those two things aren't enough to explain a drop off of this magnitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

This collapse of Oweh is utterly bizarre, one of the weirdest falls offs I've ever seen. His Rookie year wasn't just some hype job..... The kid was commanding double teams/extra attention, showcasing masterful snap timing, flashing monstrous athleticism every week, forcing TOs, making game altering plays, backside pursuit and outside contain was insane, all the analytics behind him were super promising. For a long stretch he was head to head with Parsons for DROY.

Keep in mind he was supposedly fighting through a shoulder injury most of last year too.

I know he lost Drew Wilkins and I know he took a ton of SAM reps throughout camp, but those two things aren't enough to explain a drop off of this magnitude.

And you can't even tell me it's snap count issues any more. He's been hovering at 33% on average the past 5 straight weeks (lowest among our OLB's), and he still puts this **** on tape.

Dude is chalked this year. Hope he rebounds for year 3 because aside from our defensive system changing a little bit, he just looks AWFUL out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And you can't even tell me it's snap count issues any more. He's been hovering at 33% on average the past 5 straight weeks (lowest among our OLB's), and he still puts this **** on tape.

Dude is chalked this year. Hope he rebounds for year 3 because aside from our defensive system changing a little bit, he just looks AWFUL out there.

I just wish there was some logical explanation for why he's playing like this......

We've seen talented guys be up and down year to year, but this one is so odd. It's like he's a different person. 

I'm always of the opinion that talent doesn't just disappear. If a player displays a certain level of ability and isn't dealing with some or injury or getting too old- then they're always capable of returning to form. That goes for any of our guys(Lamar, Marlon, Andrews, etc), and Oweh is no different. It's on this coaching staff to get him back on the right trajectory. 

Bateman and Oweh looked like twin demons from that 21' 1st Round. Then we lose Rashod to injury and Odafe to this weird Sophomore slump. Just sucks.

Too many of our top players have looked like lesser versions of themselves this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

And to be fair, on the Drew Wilkins point - a lot of our other OLBs are playing just fine this year with the new guy coaching them. We picked up JPP off the street and he’s been more impressive than anyone expected. Houston has had some downright All-Pro performances early this year although he’s slowed a bit recently. Bowser has come back off an achilles and doesn’t seem to have missed a beat. It feels like Oweh is the only OLB who has regressed. 

Id be curious to go back to last year and see how many of his impact plays were due to him straight up beating his man vs. him making a play solely on hustle/pursuit. Because the only ones I can really think of where he legit “won” a pass rush and turned it into a sack we’re against IND and DEN last year. Felt like a lot of his other plays were him getting the QB after the QB ate a coverage sack or rolled out of the pocket and just ran out of real estate. Even when he was making plays last year, it felt to me like we weren’t seeing a legit pass rusher in the mold of a Suggs/Boulware, but more an athletic traits guy who was hustling himself into 2nd chance plays.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ray Reed said:

Chargers won last night unfortunately, and they have the conference tie-breaker over us from what I saw on ESPN this morning, so if we end up tied with them, we get the 6th seed.

Their last two games are Rams and Broncos, so it's looking like we probably have to win out to get either the division or the 5th seed. A loss in the next two games likely* means we're the sixth seed, and most likely playing at one of KC/BUF/CIN in round 1, which hurts.

*The only caveat to this is if Buffalo beats Cincy, we lose to Pittsburgh, but manage to win the finale at Cincy. In that case we would claim the division. I just have a tough time seeing this Bengals team dropping two straight at home to end the year.

I wouldn't rule out the Rams (or even the Broncos at mile high) beating the Chargers. Both happening is not >70% chance or anything. There's a scenario where both us and Cincy lose this coming week and they have nothing to play for the last week.*

A lot of scenarios still up in the air and some we are going to mis-predict.

* I'm wrong about this one, they would need to beat us to keep the division. It would have to be Cincy winning and us losing and chiefs winning and cincy not caring about the difference between #2 and #3 for them to not try in week 18.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Speaking of scenarios. There’s a scenario where we win the #3 seed after beating the Bengals in week 18 and then would have to face the Bengals the very next week in the wildcard round of the playoffs.

Not sure if the opposite is also true, but I doubt either team wants to see each other in back to back weeks.

Would be a brutal gauntlet for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-ravens-quarterback-lamar-jackson-on-track-for-return-20221229-7tcpdztjzbgethiigvmh3geybe-story.html

^Looks like someone from the Sun and/or the Ravens got to Mike Preston and told him to walk back his most recent string of fabricated dirt.

lmao that was quick. scene out of a tv show. "publish this or else"

18 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-ravens-quarterback-lamar-jackson-on-track-for-return-20221229-7tcpdztjzbgethiigvmh3geybe-story.html

^Looks like someone from the Sun and/or the Ravens got to Mike Preston and told him to walk back his most recent string of fabricated dirt.

i just don't understand what people have to gain by pushing this stuff. Do they realize the more they fabricate stuff about Lamar the more it'll just make him wanna leave?

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

i just don't understand what people have to gain by pushing this stuff. Do they realize the more they fabricate stuff about Lamar the more it'll just make him wanna leave?

Mike Preston doesn’t care. He knows there would be a new QB and he can always fabricate some more stuff then. Dude is such a trash reporter and has always been.

• Like 1