Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I would be on board with this, but I just don't see it in the teams future. I feel they're gonna blow it up with most of the contracts coming off the books for '23. Houston and Calais are in straight ring chasing mode. With the current uncertainty surrounding LJ8, do we really think they'll come back here with the unknown? I don't see it.

We would presumably be looking to sign Lamar before such decisions become relevant. What’s more, we have Lamar on the franchise tag. So that gives us the ability to negotiate with him further.

I think the media is blowing the Lamar contract thing out of proportion. I don’t think Lamar is the type to sit out over that. If he were, he would’ve sat out to ensure he got his deal in the first place.

So if we look at it that way, then really nothing changed and Lamar still wants to be here and as long as we get a deal done, all will be well with the Ravens world.

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Only legit holes on the roster are at WR & CB. I wouldn't place any limits on what we can do in 23'. Even if we trade Lamar it's not like Huntley will be our starter. We'll find someone better and all the picks we'd get from a Lamar deal would let us go crazy. Plus, Roman will be gone.

I'm not worried about it. Calais is under contract too, so unless we cut/trade him or he retires he'll be back.

Yeah and I can almost guarantee he returns considering he’s so close to his childhood goal. 1 sack away.

I think we go into next season leaving all this drama behind us and then it can really be our year next season to make some noise. I think we’re still one of the more talented teams in the league and with Lamar we’ve got a chance. He just needs and the team just needs to make sure he makes it through the entire season.

With these weapons, I never seriously thought this would be the year. I say resign Justice Hill and keep our RB stable in play.

Then add the requisite talent and depth at WR and corner and get this going.

I'd imagine announcement on Harbaugh and Roman's futures will be pretty soon. I truly believe it was up to Harbaugh that he would bring Roman back but I suspect even he knows that's too radioactive a move to make when his own long-term security isn't necessarily guaranteed. 

General offseason prediction for me: Harbaugh stays, Roman goes. Frank Reich in as the new OC. Lamar is franchised, threatens to hold out, and is traded around draft day. Rather than blowing it up, Bisciotti opts for the treadmill team/stopgap route and we end up with Derek Carr, Geno Smith, or Jimmy Garappalo at QB. We end up a 'competitive' 8-10 win team again next year and out in the wild card round if we make the dance at all. 

Kyle Hamilton’s improvement throughout the season was fun to watch. 

He became a legit difference maker the last month+ of the season.

Hopefully he continues that trajectory and we have legit All Pro talent at LB/CB/S for the next 6-7 years with Roquan/Marlon/Hamilton

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Apparently Roman’s contract is up this year? At least someone said that on twitter. So we may not even get an official firing announcement if that’s the case, just no news on renewing his contract lol

We extended him after 2019 but I cannot find a single thing on Google that tells me what his contract is or how long the extension in 2019 was for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Hopefully he continues that trajectory and we have legit All Pro talent at LB/CB/S for the next 6-7 years with Roquan/Marlon/Hamilton

Hamilton started out as a BPA luxury in our minds, but quickly became a necessity during the season. His ability to not only slide into but also provide impact from multiple spots within the defense proved invaluable. Special player who lived up to the hype and lofty comps given to him. Crazy thing is he's still just 21 YO too, dude will be younger than a bunch of our 23' Rookies. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

You mean ANOTHER All pro talent at safety. Marcus Williams is 26 and under contract for 4 more years. There's a great foundation there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Lamar is franchised, threatens to hold out, and is traded around draft day. Rather than blowing it up, Bisciotti opts for the treadmill team/stopgap route and we end up with Derek Carr, Geno Smith, or Jimmy Garappalo at QB. We end up a 'competitive' 8-10 win team again next year and out in the wild card round if we make the dance at all. 

Bleh. I have more faith in the team than that. Bisciotti knows that the fans don't want to watch this team with a QB situation like that. IF we do go the trade Lamar route, (which I'm on record saying I don't believe will happen), we need to go in on a rookie contract QB. The roster is too good to keep that pick haul for the future without having a QB. Need to make a jump up like a Trey Lance, Goff, Wentz trade.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Bleh. I have more faith in the team than that. Bisciotti knows that the fans don't want to watch this team with a QB situation like that. IF we do go the trade Lamar route, (which I'm on record saying I don't believe will happen), we need to go in on a rookie contract QB. The roster is too good to keep that pick haul for the future without having a QB. Need to make a jump up like a Trey Lance, Goff, Wentz trade.

Yeah if we’re not signing Lamar it needs to be because we think, for some reason, he’s just not good enough to give guaranteed moneys to. And that’s the case then we need to find someone that has the potential for us to give said money to.

If we’re going to pay Carr $30m than I’d rather pay Lamar $50m. Otherwise let’s just pay a rookie $1m and see if we can maximize that rookies window years unlike what we did for Lamar.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We'll see. I hope you're right. But the organizational philosophy really seems to be that the playoffs themselves are just a crapshoot so the goal is just to be competitive enough to make the dance and then see what happens from there. The million dollar question is really just whether Bisciotti thinks 2 playoff wins in 10 years is just a function of bad luck or whether it speaks to real problems in the team's approach/strategy. If he believes that it's just a function of us getting less lucky bounces than we used to, then I see no reason why he'd risk cratering the team with an unknown QB when there's probably veteran options out there who can get us to wild card weekend. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

18 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

We'll see. I hope you're right. But the organizational philosophy really seems to be that the playoffs themselves are just a crapshoot so the goal is just to be competitive enough to make the dance and then see what happens from there. The million dollar question is really just whether Bisciotti thinks 2 playoff wins in 10 years is just a function of bad luck or whether it speaks to real problems in the team's approach/strategy. If he believes that it's just a function of us getting less lucky bounces than we used to, then I see no reason why he'd risk cratering the team with an unknown QB when there's probably veteran options out there who can get us to wild card weekend. 

I agree with that philosophy to some level, but like @diamondbull424said, I don't see much of a difference in playoff odds for this team with Carr at $30M vs a rookie. Even in the short term, this can be a playoff team with a developing QB. The offense isn't really set up to gain that much from an immobile veteran, either.

29 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with that philosophy to some level, but like @diamondbull424said, I don't see much of a difference in playoff odds for this team with Carr at $30M vs a rookie. Even in the short term, this can be a playoff team with a developing QB. The offense isn't really set up to gain that much from an immobile veteran, either.

Agreed. For me it’s simple sign Lamar or trade him to the Texans and draft either young and Stroud depending on who the team likes better 

Not that I have any sort of reasoning to think he will be available other than circumstance, but Mike Evans I believe would be a perfect trade candidate for the Ravens to target.

Hes only got $14.5m due for the 2023 season, he’s on contract, he’s not considered to be one of the more drama type WR options. He’s gritty, one of the best blocking WRs, has the ideal catch radius for Lamar, he’s got a SB win, has shown great leadership and he’s only 29; so giving him a 3 year extension should presumably still allow us to get the last few prime years he has left before we can expect a steep decline. Lastly he’s been one of the more durable WR options through the years as well.

I’m more a fan of grabbing Evans and giving him an extension, which I presume would be in that $20m-25m/year range. That would be a veteran I can get behind the team being aggressive to acquire. I wouldn’t give up a 1st, but I’d be willing to do a 3rd this season and a future pick that could become a 2nd. Plus perhaps a 3rd day pick in either year to sweeten the deal.

Get a deal done with Lamar, draft JSN or Jarrett, trade Chuck Clark for more draft ammo; add OL talent, add CB talent.. and add a new OC and see where that takes us next season.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not that I have any sort of reasoning to think he will be available other than circumstance, but Mike Evans I believe would be a perfect trade candidate for the Ravens to target.

Hes only got $14.5m due for the 2023 season, he’s on contract, he’s not considered to be one of the more drama type WR options. He’s gritty, one of the best blocking WRs, has the ideal catch radius for Lamar, he’s got a SB win, has shown great leadership and he’s only 29; so giving him a 3 year extension should presumably still allow us to get the last few prime years he has left before we can expect a steep decline. Lastly he’s been one of the more durable WR options through the years as well.

I’m more a fan of grabbing Evans and giving him an extension, which I presume would be in that $20m-25m/year range. That would be a veteran I can get behind the team being aggressive to acquire. I wouldn’t give up a 1st, but I’d be willing to do a 3rd this season and a future pick that could become a 2nd. Plus perhaps a 3rd day pick in either year to sweeten the deal.

Get a deal done with Lamar, draft JSN or Jarrett, trade Chuck Clark for more draft ammo; add OL talent, add CB talent.. and add a new OC and see where that takes us next season.

I more lean towards Hopkins than I do Evans but have a similar outlook. 

Lock Lamar up after bringing Reich in as OC. 

As far as WR goes, I'm good with having Bateman, D Hop, Duvernay as that core. Maybe a FA signing like Jarvis Landry or DJ Chark. A player along those lines. Draft a speedy WR if we can. 

If there's a CB talent round 1, that's where we go. I'm going to be pounding the table all off season about Joey Porter Jr. This guy gets it and he plays like a Raven and definitely has the pedigree. 

I'm not opposed to bringing Peters back in the same role we had for a guy like Jimmy Smith. Peters is self aware and knows his play has dipped a bit and seems to like playing for the Ravens. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 2