Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I was only being half serious. As long as Harbaugh stops overdrafting Michigan players I'll be fine. 

I don’t know about over drafting but we do need a RB next season and if we don’t add one via FA, with Mitchell likely starting on PUP and Hill as our only RBs, Blake Corum has some Ray Rice and MJD to him. He’s familiar with the area having played HS for St Frances Academy in Baltimore.

I could absolutely see the Ravens targeting Blake Corum on day 2 of the draft.

• Like 1

For fun, here is the Harbaugh (Michigan) to Harbaugh (Ravens) pipeline:

2022: Ojabo (2nd) 
2021: Ben Mason (5th) 
2020: Bredeson (4th) 
2017: Wormley (3rd) 
2016: Willie Henry (4th) 

Wormley is probably the best player, followed by Bredeson. Both are low-end starter/backup quality. Hopefully Ojabo can put the injuries behind him in 2024 and beyond. 

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I could absolutely see the Ravens targeting Blake Corum on day 2 of the draft.

Corum, Keaton, Hill, That's a rb group that average  a height of 5'9 the ravens are physical team, having one undersized is fine but that being the whole core wouldn't be good, would just get someone like Braelon Allen 

52 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

For fun, here is the Harbaugh (Michigan) to Harbaugh (Ravens) pipeline:

2022: Ojabo (2nd) 
2021: Ben Mason (5th) 
2020: Bredeson (4th) 
2017: Wormley (3rd) 
2016: Willie Henry (4th) 

Wormley is probably the best player, followed by Bredeson. Both are low-end starter/backup quality. Hopefully Ojabo can put the injuries behind him in 2024 and beyond. 

Wow that's a pretty awful list of players.

6 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

Corum, Keaton, Hill, That's a rb group that average  a height of 5'9 the ravens are physical team, having one undersized is fine but that being the whole core wouldn't be good, would just get someone like Braelon Allen 

I don’t disagree with Braelon Allen as an obvious day 2 target. But Keaton Mitchell likely starts the season off on the PUP. Either way, as an explosive player coming off that injury, we can’t rely on him to be healthy.

So drafting Corum, having Hill, and adding a FA RB with some size like Derrick Henry would be a loaded backfield with a variance of rushing styles.

But yeah, Allen as a 19 year old who reminds me of Willis McGahee as a runner, should very much be on our radar.

43 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t disagree with Braelon Allen as an obvious day 2 target. But Keaton Mitchell likely starts the season off on the PUP. Either way, as an explosive player coming off that injury, we can’t rely on him to be healthy.

So drafting Corum, having Hill, and adding a FA RB with some size like Derrick Henry would be a loaded backfield with a variance of rushing styles.

But yeah, Allen as a 19 year old who reminds me of Willis McGahee as a runner, should very much be on our radar.

I agree with this Allen would be interesting but I think if we do sign Henry then I would avoid drafting any running back unless it’s with a late pick and obviously undrafted. With Henry, Hill, adding a back to back them up until Mitchelle is ready is all that’s needed. Maybe Gore Jr. with a late pick.

Also what people thoughts on Rice from USC? Might as well draft all the Jrs add Jenkins in there as well lol

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

I hate to be a negative nelly but Keaton Mitchell was injured 3 times this year. I'm not sure if it's wise to rely on him in the future. His cuts are so violent, I wonder about his long term ability to stay healthy. 

I personally never considered Mitchell a everydown back. He’s an explosive playmaker and I truly hope he does come back healthy at some point next season. We should hopefully have a stable of running backs that will allow Mitchell take get a few touches and make a difference.

9 hours ago, santiagomn8 said:

I agree with this Allen would be interesting but I think if we do sign Henry then I would avoid drafting any running back unless it’s with a late pick and obviously undrafted. With Henry, Hill, adding a back to back them up until Mitchelle is ready is all that’s needed. Maybe Gore Jr. with a late pick.

I don’t disagree, now when you say “Mitchell is ready” I don’t think Mitchell is to be relied upon. He’s small, has had injuries, and coming off a significant injury that not every back comes back from as explosive. While we look at ACL’s as not a big deal, we saw with JK Dobbins that it took him awhile to get back… and then he went down once again. Both have a similarly frenetic rushing style. So I look at Mitchell as injury insurance.

It’s not like we can fully rely on the fact that Justice Hill might also not go down with an injury.

Lastly from a roster construction standpoint, bringing in Henry and Corum would be the backup plan, similar to how in 2022 the Ravens wanted to go WR in the draft (and again I still feel like they made a mistake not trading up for Christian Watson but that’s neither here nor there)… and the backup plan was taking Kolar and Likely at TE.

Similarly if we fail to get an elite WR in this class, we won’t have the likely cap space to do much more than resign Aghalor, so doubling down on an elite rushing attack would be the other obvious direction.

Utilize more 21 and 22 personnel spread formations and run PA passes off it. Not Roman level splits, but more than this year. Whats more we could still go 3 WR sets and both Corum and Hill could run from those spread formations and be dual threat options. Having actual great to elite RB talents would make Lamar a serious weapon on rollouts that would put defenses in serious conflict between having to contend with an elite rushing attack, an elite rushing QB, and dynamic weapons like Likely, Andrews, Flowers, and Bateman running levels concepts off PA.

We know Lamar can thrive in both a pass and run first offense, both condensed and spread, so it’ll be about what offense is going to give the team the best strategy towards winning games with the roster construction limited by the cap constraints.

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t disagree, now when you say “Mitchell is ready” I don’t think Mitchell is to be relied upon. He’s small, has had injuries, and coming off a significant injury that not every back comes back from as explosive. While we look at ACL’s as not a big deal, we saw with JK Dobbins that it took him awhile to get back… and then he went down once again. Both have a similarly frenetic rushing style. So I look at Mitchell as injury insurance.

It’s not like we can fully rely on the fact that Justice Hill might also not go down with an injury.

Lastly from a roster construction standpoint, bringing in Henry and Corum would be the backup plan, similar to how in 2022 the Ravens wanted to go WR in the draft (and again I still feel like they made a mistake not trading up for Christian Watson but that’s neither here nor there)… and the backup plan was taking Kolar and Likely at TE.

Similarly if we fail to get an elite WR in this class, we won’t have the likely cap space to do much more than resign Aghalor, so doubling down on an elite rushing attack would be the other obvious direction.

Utilize more 21 and 22 personnel spread formations and run PA passes off it. Not Roman level splits, but more than this year. Whats more we could still go 3 WR sets and both Corum and Hill could run from those spread formations and be dual threat options. Having actual great to elite RB talents would make Lamar a serious weapon on rollouts that would put defenses in serious conflict between having to contend with an elite rushing attack, an elite rushing QB, and dynamic weapons like Likely, Andrews, Flowers, and Bateman running levels concepts off PA.

We know Lamar can thrive in both a pass and run first offense, both condensed and spread, so it’ll be about what offense is going to give the team the best strategy towards winning games with the roster construction limited by the cap constraints.

I see the logic behind this and wouldn’t really have any complaints if it worked out this way. For me I think drafting a running back in the first few rounds isn’t really needed especially in this team because we develop RBs well and also seem to always find a vet that can do wonders for us. If a RB is BPA in the 2nd or 3rd round by a decent margin I would say why not. I think if we extend Odell to keep him and avoid that dead money then I think WR priority goes down quite a bit but if he doesn’t come back then it becomes a huge priority. Someone like Troy Franklin or Emeka Egbuka would be my 1st round considerations.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hard for me to envision us surviving this year's HC vacancies with Mike Macdonald. Too many good spots are open for him not to leave.

I think it’s a coin flip. Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell, Jim Harbaugh I think are bigger targets. (I don’t think this is smart by other teams but I’m prom with that)

Panthers- Ben Johnson

Falcons- Bill

Chargers- Jim Harbaugh

Commanders- Bienemy

Patriots- Jerod Mayo

Raiders- Vrabel

Titans- Dan Campbell

41 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

I think it’s a coin flip. Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell, Jim Harbaugh I think are bigger targets. (I don’t think this is smart by other teams but I’m prom with that)

Panthers- Ben Johnson

Falcons- Bill

Chargers- Jim Harbaugh

Commanders- Bienemy

Patriots- Jerod Mayo

Raiders- Vrabel

Titans- Dan Campbell

Throw the Seahawks in there now, too.

16 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Throw the Seahawks in there now, too.

Ok modification I wanted to put Pierce for the Raiders but figured Vrabel would get a job so now

Raiders- Pierce

Seahawks- Vrabel

I will say I think we keep John Harbaugh until either he is done coaching or we start missing the playoffs without injuries being a factor ala Jackson going down. Do I think we can potentially have a coordinator that could have a similar deal that Decosta had absolutely but I think that also will depend on Harbaugh. I believe Ozzie Newsome deal was after 5 years Decosta was taking over so maybe at some point Harbaugh says “I got 2-3 years left in me” maybe he has already who knows. If Macdonald leaves I think Weaver deserves a hard look as for if Monken leaves maybe hire from within Hewitt or Higgins if not look outside the organization I think will be fine either way. Keeping everyone would be ideal