Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just want to make it known that I was a huge fan of the Ravens targeting Derrick Henry, he’s still a difference maker and I think him on this squad would’ve been absolutely amazing, with him our RB situation would be far more explosive.

Dude still has the juice clearly and he’s still a freak. That would’ve been an excellent trade for the playoff run especially.

Henry definitely could be a Raven next season, would be a great fit and he can join the Florida boys making up the Ravens… guy plays like a Raven and likely won’t cost too much. You know Ozzie Newsome will absolutely be looking to recruit him to the squad.

Me too. 

What this team (and by team I mean by Lamar) affords running backs would really let a plus running back shine in an extraordinary way. People who look at Gus Edwards YPC numbers and think he is a plus RB are off base. The contract given and accepted by him, the multiple attempts to demote him behind Dobbins and Mitchell, the fact that he was playing in a meaningful week 18 game all point to the fact that he's definitely a guy that could be improved on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Me too. 

What this team (and by team I mean by Lamar) affords running backs would really let a plus running back shine in an extraordinary way. People who look at Gus Edwards YPC numbers and think he is a plus RB are off base. The contract given and accepted by him, the multiple attempts to demote him behind Dobbins and Mitchell, the fact that he was playing in a meaningful week 18 game all point to the fact that he's definitely a guy that could be improved on.

Who else were we going to play in week 18? Melvin Gordon, who fumbled once on 8 total snaps? Justice Hill 100% of the time? He was playing because he had to.

I'm fine with picking Henry up on a Gus Edwards type of deal but overpaying or trading for him at this point is a mistake.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Who else were we going to play in week 18? Melvin Gordon, who fumbled once on 8 total snaps? Justice Hill 100% of the time? He was playing because he had to.

If he was valued highly. They would 100% have kept Melvin Gordon in over him.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

If he was valued highly. They would 100% have kept Melvin Gordon in over him.

By this same logic none of our starting OL matter then. Like do you see where this breaks down? Melvin Gordon is literally a fumbling machine. Even though the game doesn't matter, playing Gordon is borderline malpractice.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm fine with picking Henry up on a Gus Edwards type of deal but overpaying or trading for him at this point is a mistake.

If Gus was truly a difference maker, no way we don’t choose to move up a PS running back.

If Gus were Saquan Barkley, unless there were incredibly playing incentives to be had, we’re not playing him.

Gus since his injury has been JAG status and absolutely needs to be improved upon. His ball carrying all season has also been problematic, it’s only the last two weeks that it’s resulted in fumbles.

Edited by diamondbull424

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

If Gus was truly a difference maker, no way we don’t choose to move up a PS running back.

If Gus were Saquan Barkley, unless there were incredibly playing incentives to be had, we’re not playing him.

Gus since his injury has been JAG status and absolutely needs to be improved upon. His ball carrying all season has also been problematic, it’s only the last two weeks that it’s resulted in fumbles.

Gus isn't a difference maker, but neither is Derrick Hennry. They're basically the same player but Henry has more breakaway speed and is way more expensive.

Gus’s strength play real well as a downhill/1 cut runner which mesh really well with the read option which it certainly seems like we are trending away from. He’s pretty consistent and I’m happy to have him but it seems like we need a back with a little more juice and recieving ability. 

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gus isn't a difference maker, but neither is Derrick Hennry. They're basically the same player but Henry has more breakaway speed and is way more expensive.

Did you not watch the Titans game? Derrick Henry is the best player on that Titans offense and was the biggest reason the Jags couldn’t stop their offense. He salted the clock plus presented explosive plays.

Defenders were making legit business decisions with him and they constantly do.

He’s a legitimate threat that you have to worry about… also breakaway speed at that size is part of the thing that makes Henry a difference maker, so you literally can’t take that away from him. It’s what makes him such a freak. Give him a crease and he can make a house call. Pair that with Lamar and he could be a 5.5 ypc type guy.

In terms of expensive, at 30 years old how much do you think he’s actually going to get on his next contract? Had they traded for him they likely would’ve had to pay only about $3-4m for him… and that’s also likely the type of AAV Henry sees moving forward on probably a two year deal.

A 2 year, $6m deal with incentives that could push it to $10m if he balls out… which is Gus Edwards money.

14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Did you not watch the Titans game? Derrick Henry is the best player on that Titans offense and was the biggest reason the Jags couldn’t stop their offense. He salted the clock plus presented explosive plays.

Defenders were making legit business decisions with him and they constantly do.

He’s a legitimate threat that you have to worry about… also breakaway speed at that size is part of the thing that makes Henry a difference maker, so you literally can’t take that away from him. It’s what makes him such a freak. Give him a crease and he can make a house call. Pair that with Lamar and he could be a 5.5 ypc type guy.

In terms of expensive, at 30 years old how much do you think he’s actually going to get on his next contract? Had they traded for him they likely would’ve had to pay only about $3-4m for him… and that’s also likely the type of AAV Henry sees moving forward on probably a two year deal.

A 2 year, $6m deal with incentives that could push it to $10m if he balls out… which is Gus Edwards money.

If we can get him for Gus money then sure. Otherwise, he's also the only player in NFL history with like 20 touches and 0 yards or something like that.

Also, to put it in perspective, this was by far the worst year of Gus' career and he still finished .1 YPC below Derrick Henry this year.

I'm just not a fan of current Derrick Henry. I think he's extremely overrated. He needs to get to the 3rd level of a defense before he's effective, otherwise he's just a 2-3 YPC guy which is the same as Gus, but I've seen Gus be more effective against LB's than Henry is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we can get him for Gus money then sure. Otherwise, he's also the only player in NFL history with like 20 touches and 0 yards or something like that.

Also, to put it in perspective, this was by far the worst year of Gus' career and he still finished .1 YPC below Derrick Henry this year.

I'm just not a fan of current Derrick Henry. I think he's extremely overrated. He needs to get to the 3rd level of a defense before he's effective, otherwise he's just a 2-3 YPC guy which is the same as Gus, but I've seen Gus be more effective against LB's than Henry is.

The issue i have here is for a long time and especially this year everyone knew Henry is getting the ball. Not just that but he was the ONLY rb getting the ball. So do I think he’s a game changer anymore no but if he comes at a reasonable 2 year deal I wouldn’t be against it at all. This team would have Henry, Hill, Mitchelle. They can spread the carries, keep everyone fresh especially Henry and I think he could be an easy upgrade to Edwards. (Mind you I like Edwards) I will say this is the quintessential Decosta move

Also imagine teams seeing Lamar and Henrybin the backfield who is getting the ball? This could be a game changer.

Edited by santiagomn8
Need to add more
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, santiagomn8 said:

The issue i have here is for a long time and especially this year everyone knew Henry is getting the ball.

This is a great point. Henry was the focal point of that offense that everyone know they needed to stop and stop him early and before he got a full head of steam. They could “take off” on the plays he wasn’t in the game. Not in the sense of not having to worry about other Titans RBs being solid (this season) but in the sense of from a mentality standpoint.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He needs to get to the 3rd level of a defense before he's effective, otherwise he's just a 2-3 YPC guy which is the same as Gus

I’d argue second level. You want to get Henry at the LOS before he picks up steam. If he gets to the LB level, there are a number of LBs that will also make business decisions. That won’t happen in the AFCN, but across the other teams, Henry will intimidate.

And getting to the second level with Lamar at QB is going to be a boon Henry hasn’t historically been able to afford. He’s also got the kind of breakaway speed that Gus never had, even now Henry’s breakaway speed is probably at the point that Gus had at the peak of his speed.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If Gus were running in Tennessee, I’d be willing to put a lot of money on the fact that he runs under 4.0 YPC… and this knowing that Gus’ YPC this season would look better if not for all the 1 yard scores he vultured. I just see Henry as the engine while Gus has never been that.

Now would I love to get a truly elite RB option? Sure. But based on what I’ve watched of the NFL draft prospects so far, I have not seen that stud RB option in the draft. So unless EDC is willing to pay big money for Saquan Barkley, it’ll be unlikely we see that guy in our backfield.

EDIT: But yeah I don’t think Gus is worth Gus money anymore, he’s moving towards the minimum while Henry is worth Gus type money. So I think we agree that we shouldn’t be paying Henry franchise RB money, I don’t think that he will have a market for that kind of money though so I believe that’s sort of a moot expectation.

Edited by diamondbull424

10 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

John Harbaugh is wasting time at the National Championship game rather than grinding tape. 

Meh. I disagree. 1) Supporting his brother is a big deal and you’d want him to be there for that, but more relevantly 2) this is a big moment and game, it’s high pressure atmosphere, it’s the competition that can only be matched and surpassed by NFL playoff football. 

So even using this “break” for rest, Harbaugh is still spending it consumed with football and competition and around guys making plays and feeling the energy, the highs, and lows. This is the kind of “break” that can only benefit his coaching as he comes back to practice, especially for a motivating CEO style head coach like he is. This is the kind of break that can infuse additional energy and edge into our already motivated squad. It can inspire him with strategies and playcalls.

So no, I completely disagree. This is far better than him locking himself in a basement for a week analyzing film on opponents we don’t even know who we will face.

So yeah, IMO there is a lot to be gained in him being there.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. I disagree. 1) Supporting his brother is a big deal and you’d want him to be there for that, but more relevantly 2) this is a big moment and game, it’s high pressure atmosphere, it’s the competition that can only be matched and surpassed by NFL playoff football. 

So even using this “break” for rest, Harbaugh is still spending it consumed with football and competition and around guys making plays and feeling the energy, the highs, and lows. This is the kind of “break” that can only benefit his coaching as he comes back to practice, especially for a motivating CEO style head coach like he is. This is the kind of break that can infuse additional energy and edge into our already motivated squad. It can inspire him with strategies and playcalls.

So no, I completely disagree. This is far better than him locking himself in a basement for a week analyzing film on opponents we don’t even know who we will face.

So yeah, IMO there is a lot to be gained in him being there.

I was only being half serious. As long as Harbaugh stops overdrafting Michigan players I'll be fine. 

• Like 1