Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

No game down the stretch will be particularly easy, but that away game at the 49ers stands out to me as the biggest hurdle between going undefeated and securing the #1 seed.

Realistically, if we were to go all the way this year, the game against SF could be a preview of LVIII.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Bengals looked like they had a good shot to win the game even before the injury, but nonetheless a really unfortunate injury for Lawrence. Hopefully it's relatively minor and he can be back for the end of the season. Still of the mindset I want us to face teams at their best and not just take easy wins into the playoffs.

Overall, this was basically best case scenario for a bye week with virtually every team chasing us losing, outside of the Dolphins. Ravens control their fate with 5 games left on the season now.

No game down the stretch will be particularly easy, but that away game at the 49ers stands out to me as the biggest hurdle between going undefeated and securing the #1 seed.

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

It was nice seeing Cincy pull off the upset.  Browning did not look like a third string QB.  Hated seeing Lawrence go down.  Feels like we're in Bizarro World with Lamar Jackson healthy while half of the other AFC QBs are injured. 

Yeah, it sucks and if we win it this season all the QB injuries would likely be used to discredit both the Ravens defense and Lamar’s ring, I’m sure.

But that’s talk of ifs and maybes for down the road. But yeah, playing the Jags at their best would’ve been a nice test. That said, we’ve had to play with our backup the last couple years and made playoffs, and were the top seed (or at least led the AFCN) prior to Lamar going down, so these other teams have no excuses IMO.

I’ve said it before, but the 49ers are the only team in the NFL that scare me. They’re basically the Browns defense with that front 4, but they’ve got more talent top to bottom and are efficient. Even if we win in the regular season, they’re the team I’d least like to see in the postseason.

• Like 2

I know it's basically a lock that Anthony Weaver is the next man up but if McDonald does leave for a head coaching job then I think getting Brandon Staley in as his replacement would be a great fit -- it went wrong for him as a head coach but he was a rising star on the defensive side of the ball with a creative approach that I think meshes well with what McDonald has brought to the defense (IIRC, one of the hallmarks of Staley's 2020 Rams defense was him being on the forefront of the shift towards two-high safety looks). And for Staley's part, going to a stabile organization that prioritizes defensive excellence where he can also get the equivalent of an Ivy League head coaching education from an elite CEO-type coach in Harbaugh is just about the best possible platform for him to rebuild his reputation and be more prepared if/when he becomes a head coach again. 

Alternatively, I hope folks look at Staley's run with the Chargers after being the young hotshot defensive genius candidate and decide to ignore McDonald during this hiring cycle, but that's just wishful thinking at this point - there's no chance he doesn't get offers and the only chance at bringing him back is if Bisciott, Harbaugh, and McDonald all agree on a coach-in-waiting deal and he's willing to wait like EDC was. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

So, so happy we didn’t trade for him. Dude is cooked

Apparently, he was on his way to Baltimore, but the Owner vetoed the trade. Can't remember who said it on twitter. And if that's the case, sounds like the Titans owner did us a huge favor. Also, we never needed him in the first place. The Gus disrespect will always send me!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, AngusMcFife said:

I wonder if the Ravens will hold back some play calls vs. the 49ers since we don't need the game and they would be a very difficult SB opponent. Might want to keep some of those in reserve. 

Especially since McDaniel the following week is a Shanahan disciple himself and would likely know exactly how to counteract the ways in which we attack the 9ers - especially when we’re on defense 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, Ray Reed said:

So, so happy we didn’t trade for him. Dude is cooked

On 12/18/2023 at 10:10 AM, RavensfanRD said:

Apparently, he was on his way to Baltimore, but the Owner vetoed the trade. Can't remember who said it on twitter. And if that's the case, sounds like the Titans owner did us a huge favor. Also, we never needed him in the first place. The Gus disrespect will always send me!

On 12/18/2023 at 1:51 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I have never felt more vindicated in a hot take than this one.

He wasn’t running like this at the beginning of the season. He might be cooked, but personally I get the sense that he’s quiet quitting. He had a trade lined up to a contender and it was shot down out of spite.

I think if he were here, he’s likely running harder and looks closer to what he’s looked the past couple seasons. He’s definitely not 2019 Henry any longer, but I think he will surprise next season.

One things certain however is that the Titans owner is a fool. Opportunity cost. The Titans weren’t going anywhere and he kept his GM from acquiring valuable draft compensation to improve the teams future outlook.

• Like 1