Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, santiagomn8 said:

I think it’s a coin flip. Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell, Jim Harbaugh I think are bigger targets. (I don’t think this is smart by other teams but I’m prom with that)

Panthers- Ben Johnson

Falcons- Bill

Chargers- Jim Harbaugh

Commanders- Bienemy

Patriots- Jerod Mayo

Raiders- Vrabel

Titans- Dan Campbell

Dan Campbell? He's not leaving the Lions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, santiagomn8 said:

I think it’s a coin flip. Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell, Jim Harbaugh I think are bigger targets. (I don’t think this is smart by other teams but I’m prom with that)

Panthers- Ben Johnson

Falcons- Bill

Chargers- Jim Harbaugh

Commanders- Bieniemy

Patriots- Jerod Mayo

Raiders- Vrabel

Titans- Dan Campbell

My guess:

Panthers- Todd Monken
- This is going to be the least desirable coaching position due to David Tepper being a hothead and firing numerous coaches in his short span as an owner.

Monken isn’t the typical head coach candidate, however he’s shown leadership ability, he’s had success in college and was able to build an offense in a collaborative fashion that allowed Lamar to thrive and feel involved in the process.

The Panthers will likely feel like they’re settling on Monken, however this might turn out to be an underrated hire. Many seem to like him and he’s got experience in the pros and college, so I can see him having little issues with building a stronger than expected coaching staff. The Panthers sunk far too much into Bryce Young to not give him a HC that can spearhead an offensive gameplan that best positions him to develop and win more games next season. 

Falcons- Bill Belichick
- The reports have this as a mutual place of interest. Where there’s smoke there might be fire. Bill is strategic and I could see him liking the idea of going into what is probably the weakest division in football. He can have personnel and coaching control if he wants wants it. Also what better place to win a Super Bowl with then Atlanta where he was a part of stealing the Falcons glory and being on the winning side of their all time collapse. He’d go from villain to hero.

Chargers- Dan Quinn
The biggest issue with the Chargers wasn’t talent but a lack of mentality. Quinn’s a leader of men and would build a strong defense, you’d have to like the idea of him providing structure to a team that lacks it.

The Chargers isn’t an unattractive job, but after failing with the young and inexperienced coach, a veteran coach that has had success in the league is someone that should be able to maximize their talent and compete in a quality division.

Commanders- Jim Harbaugh
Jim strikes me as the kind of guy who most wants to embrace the challenge of doing something many find to be improbable, while restoring programs that have struggled mightily and he wants to bring them back to their former glory.

The Commanders/Skins had some quality teams in the past and seem to have an ownership group that wants to build a program. Harbaugh has shown that he has that history. He’s done it with rebuilding Stanford, the 49ers, and then Michigan. Restoring the Commanders to glory, being close to his brother and thus family, plus the NCAA cracking down on him are all reasons I could see him jumping to the NFL for the Commanders.

When you think classic Skins teams you think strong rushing attack and good defense, Harbaugh would add those attributes as they rebuild the image of their franchise towards stability. The interviews with Ravens coaches show they have an interest in that Harbaugh tree, so it only makes sense that their top candidate might just be Jim himself.

Patriots- Mike Vrabel
Theres too much smoke for this to not seem true. The Titans owner released him because he wouldn’t seemingly commit to the Titans long term. Some felt he was interested in going back to the Patriots. So Occam’s razor and all that jazz.

Raiders- Antonio Pierce
I feel like they have to give him at least another year due to how effective he was as an interim HC. The guys were clearly playing inspired ball and he nearly led them back into the playoffs. Best case scenario they have their guy, worse case scenario they struggle mightily under him, they tank, and they have the type of pick where they can get their QB in the top 3-5 picks of the draft. So I see signing him as an absolute win.

Titans- Anthony Weaver
Weaver fits the personality of that Titans franchise. It feels like Weaver would be up to the challenge and more than that’s he’s got connections across the league and could likely bring in a quality OC to give a shot at developing Will Levis as the Titans likely focus on building back up their defense and OL. I can also see Amy Adams Strunk embracing a minority hire in this process.

Seahawks- Ben Johnson
Carrol retiring was somewhat of a surprise, I think the adviser role he’s moving into might mean the Seahawks want to go after a young coach that may or may not be entirely ready yet, but can be guided along and advised by a HOF caliber coach in Carrol as the new HC gets acclimated to the role. For Johnson Carrol’s fiery nature will be similar to what he’s got in Dan Campbell and so would be a welcome fit for himself I’d imagine. Lastly they’re a stable organization that would likely be an attractive destination for him to go and feel like he’s not in the NFL coaching blender.

The more I think about it I believe Mike MacDonald is as good as gone. After the *** whoopin the cowboys are taking I think they fire McCartht and sign Bill Belichick. I think Jerry Jones is tired and wants a ring now. That leaves Commanders, Titans, Seahawks, Falcons, Panthers, Raiders ( though I think it’s 100% Pierce) Chargers and if the Bills lose to the Steelers I can see McDermott being fired. That’s too many openings and MacDonald will get a job

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Four coaching openings left, it looks like Todd Monken is staying here but Mike Mac is probably 100% gone.

I was actually thinking about this and I'm not so sure about that. The one thing we have working in our favor is a lot if these teams want a young offensive minded HC to help groom their young QBs. 

Assuming Belichick and Ben Johnson are locks for two of the four open positions (most likely Atlanta and Washington), maybe Seattle wants an older HC and/or someone with familiarity of their culture (e.g. Dan Quinn or Vrabel). Then you're left with the dumpster fire that is Carolina and you figure they might prefer someone like Bobby Slowik or Brian Johnson to help with Bryce Young's development. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I was actually thinking about this and I'm not so sure about that. The one thing we have working in our favor is a lot if these teams want a young offensive minded HC to help groom their young QBs. 

Assuming Belichick and Ben Johnson are locks for two of the four open positions (most likely Atlanta and Washington), maybe Seattle wants an older HC and/or someone with familiarity of their culture (e.g. Dan Quinn or Vrabel). Then you're left with the dumpster fire that is Carolina and you figure they might prefer someone like Bobby Slowik or Brian Johnson to help with Bryce Young's development. 

giphy.gif

Panthers just hired Canales. That leaves 3 spots with Belichick Vrable Quinn and Johnson still out there. Cross your fingers everyone.

• Like 1

Carolina was who I was most worried about hiring Monken away from us - hoping this means he is safe/gonna return next year. 

I think McDonald most likely gets the Seattle or Atlanta job which would be a big loss but if we're going to lose one I'm much more comfortable losing him. We're pretty far removed from the Pees/Mattison years and even then they were moreso average rather than abjectly bad. This org knows defense, hell, McDonald is as close to a real John Harbaugh protege as there is, and whether it's Weaver or someone else we will be in good hands and I think JH has a better sense of what exactly he wants out of his defense, whereas on offense I think we are much more reliant on a the OC having an independent foundation. Giving Lamar stability and a second year in that offense would be a massive massive boost for next year. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Panthers just hired Canales. That leaves 3 spots with Belichick Vrable Quinn and Johnson still out there. Cross your fingers everyone.

Falcons hire Raheem Morris.

Come on Dan Quinn, Vrable, Belichick and Ben Johnson!!

According to Jeff Z, Seattle didn't interview McDonald which is super surprising to hear, and WAS seems pretty locked in on Ben Johnson. But could be that Seattle talks with McDonald next week and I wouldn't consider us out of the woods by any means yet. 

8 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

But could be that Seattle talks with McDonald next week and I wouldn't consider us out of the woods by any means yet.

8 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

According to Jeff Z, Seattle didn't interview McDonald which is super surprising to hear

Only thing I can think of is the issues Carroll(who is still with SEA as VP) might have with the Harbaughs and by extension someone from their coaching tree in Mike McDonald. Those coaching circles can operate like rival factions.

Admittedly I'm not super up on where all their relationships stand though, I just remember the beef between Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll from the USC-Stanford era.

• Like 1