Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Yea, I expect 10-12 wins. I'm basing that on my feelings about the Ravens. The perceived strength of schedule in June doesn't weigh in for me. Yes, the odds are a few of those 13 opponents won't be nearly as tough as you think. Some may be tougher. Just like last year and every year. But do we really need to rehash the debate about how lucky/unlucky we were last year?

Tell me why this defense won't be good enough to carry a winning team? 

44 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, I expect 10-12 wins. I'm basing that on my feelings about the Ravens. The perceived strength of schedule in June doesn't weigh in for me. Yes, the odds are a few of those 13 opponents won't be nearly as tough as you think. Some may be tougher. Just like last year and every year. But do we really need to rehash the debate about how lucky/unlucky we were last year?

We won't have a coordinator who can elevate the talent available, just like last year. The defense shut down mediocre to bad offenses (facing really bad QB's most of the time) but that was about as unclutch a defense as we have seen.

Our best chance is the offense elevates itself and we finally have a complimentary offense, defense and special teams which actually play a full game instead of random collapses.

A team like the Vikings last year should be something to aim for.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

We won't have a coordinator who can elevate the talent available, just like last year. The defense shut down mediocre to bad offenses (facing really bad QB's most of the time) but that was about as unclutch a defense as we have seen.

Our best chance is the offense elevates itself and we finally have a complimentary offense, defense and special teams which actually play a full game instead of random collapses.

A team like the Vikings last year should be something to aim for.

I didn't love or like the hire of Martindale. But, he had 1 season as a D-coordicator a long time ago. We don't need a coordinator to elevate the talent. Just one to let it play at the level it should. There should be enough DBs not to leave a easy matchup on the field, enough pass rushers to rotate in and keep the pressure on and you can count on Williams and Mosley to control the middle. 

We don't need a miracle worker.

Apparently, I can't make polls. It was stupid anyways.

Because off season is hard, I watched some coaches film and began to pay attention to the uniforms. The purple color rush uniform with gold trim - I really like it, and wouldn't mind it being our primary uniform. It somehow embraces the purple Ravens purple without it looking tacky.

The all white uniform could be our main away game uniform. It still has the classic feel to it with the white and purple combination and I always liked white on a muddy field.

The all blacks could be trotted out 1-2 times a season and it would look great, but most of the league does it to some degree.

The black/white, white/black, purple/white combination is somewhat bland to me and close to boring.

On 28.6.2018 at 7:20 AM, Danand said:

If we have the same amount of injuries or if either the offense/defense completely implode I could see us getting no more than 5 wins this year. The most like is 7-9/9-7 season, which I think we should embrace. We just don't have the high quality players on the team.

On 29.6.2018 at 9:06 PM, Danand said:

DON'T TRY TO BE HAPPY, NO SMILES!!! LIFE SUCKS, LIFE IS HARD, RAVENS LOSE, WE SUCK, FIRE EVERYBODY, DESTROY OPTIMISM

shouldn't you be the guy to tell everybody how we the Ravens will go 19-0? s calling somebody out for his pessimism (realism?!) on the possible development of low round draft picks BEFORE A SINGLE DOWN HAS BEEN PLAYED because yeah, all picks are gonna be starters no doubt since what the Ravens lack is depth. only to share a similar view on the team in another thread. you'll be my favourite poster here i can feel it.

I am pragmatic, that is something completely different. I realize potential how every draft pick is a lottery ticket - and based on my own assessment I have an opinion about a specific player. It is rare I go all out bashing people who are optimistic and make a point towards how a player can be a potential succes story.

With regard to your quotes, I made specific points because a person asked a question about what could hold us back this year. Referring to our recent years of injuries to many key players and our struggles with producing top tier talent is in my mind a legit point to make. The upside is there and if the pass rush can improve, if players stay healthy etc.

Even the offense with another year with Roman and Alessandris, clutch playmakers and a healthy Flacco with sprinkles of X-factor in Lamar Jackson behind an injury free offensive line could be a succes story.

But those points didn't have relevance to the part you quoted.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, wackywabbit said:

You might as well just say "I have no reasons behind my thinking, it's just what I think!". It would've made more sense.

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

You might as well just say "I have no reasons behind my thinking, it's just what I think!". It would've made more sense.

"Basing that on my feelings about the Ravens" as opposed to my projections of 13 distinct opponents, which would be less informed and subject to larger variance. Basically, that statement was me saying that preseason strenth of schedules don't correlate much with actual SOS.

I've already stated the reasons behind why I think the Ravens will be good: A deep and talented defense at every level, elite special teams, a head coach I am high on who nails situational game management better than almost every other coach, and an offense that manages to produce at a competent/average level whenever Flacco is healthy and behind decent protection. Oh, and now we have Lamar Jackson as a joker card to break out a new element IF the former isn't working.

Edited by wackywabbit

On 7/5/2018 at 11:47 AM, wackywabbit said:

"Basing that on my feelings about the Ravens" as opposed to my projections of 13 distinct opponents, which would be less informed and subject to larger variance. Basically, that statement was me saying that preseason strenth of schedules don't correlate much with actual SOS.

I've already stated the reasons behind why I think the Ravens will be good: A deep and talented defense at every level, elite special teams, a head coach I am high on who nails situational game management better than almost every other coach, and an offense that manages to produce at a competent/average level whenever Flacco is healthy and behind decent protection. Oh, and now we have Lamar Jackson as a joker card to break out a new element IF the former isn't working.

We had basically all of this last year, against a much easier schedule, and still went 9-7....

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I feel like a lot of times when people here say "9-7" they act like they just said "4-12"

9-7 and missed the playoffs, while feeling like we vastly overachieved in the first place. The only thing I see different this year to be optimistic about is perhaps Joe Flacco will actually feel like showing up during the first half of the regular season.