2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Is there literally anybody here that DOESN'T have Earl Thomas at the top of their list?  

Mathieu would be at the top of mine if I thought there was a chance in hell he would sign here, but I don't, so Thomas is easily my number one free agent.  Only have to wait 7 days to learn he won't sign here.

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is there literally anybody here that DOESN'T have Earl Thomas at the top of their list?  

Mathieu would be at the top of mine if I thought there was a chance in hell he would sign here, but I don't, so Thomas is easily my number one free agent.  Only have to wait 7 days to learn he won't sign here.

What I dont like about Thomas:
1. RECENT injury history. Once they start coming - they dont usually slow down.
2. What would be his cost. Top of the market.
3. His age. As PR pointed out, we'd have to pack a short contract with high average $$$ while with other younger candidates - we can stretch the cost out over a longer contract and still expect an "on the field return" for our cash cause the guy wont be in a wheelchair at the end (sarcasm).

57 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I mean, I think everyone wants Earl Thomas in our secondary.  Does the question change when we're talking about potentially a 5 year, $60M deal with $25M guaranteed?  Probably.  I'm just not sure the Packers are going to pony up.  I think we're more likely in that second tier of FA.  Guys like Eric Weddle, Tre Boston, etc. seem like more natural fits.  You can probably get Boston at 3 years, $21M with $7M guaranteed or something along those lines.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I think everyone wants Earl Thomas in our secondary.  Does the question change when we're talking about potentially a 5 year, $60M deal with $25M guaranteed?  Probably.  I'm just not sure the Packers are going to pony up.  I think we're more likely in that second tier of FA.  Guys like Eric Weddle, Tre Boston, etc. seem like more natural fits.  You can probably get Boston at 3 years, $21M with $7M guaranteed or something along those lines.

Good post and while I recognize the contract terms are just hypothetical and for discussion purposes - they're also implausible. The guy would be 35y/o at the end of it and while he's an excellent Safety - I dont consider him a freak of nature - think he'll have anything to contribute at that position at that age and he's too small to consider moving down into the box.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

What I dont like about Thomas:
1. RECENT injury history. Once they start coming - they dont usually slow down.
2. What would be his cost. Top of the market.
3. His age. As PR pointed out, we'd have to pack a short contract with high average $$$ while with other younger candidates - we can stretch the cost out over a longer contract and still expect an "on the field return" for our cash cause the guy wont be in a wheelchair at the end (sarcasm).

His injuries aren't anything that are repetitive, and they're not soft tissue injuries.  Long term, there really isn't much of a concern about the injuries affecting him.  It comes down to his age.  At 30 years old (in a few months), he's going to want a big, longterm deal.  We're talking about 4 years, $48M minimum.  Wouldn't be surprised if he pushed for a 5 year deal.  Could see it topping it out at 6 years, $78M.  Not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible if the safety market bounces back.

Just now, Leader said:

Good post and while I recognize the contract terms are just hypothetical and for discussion purposes - they're also implausible. The guy would be 35y/o at the end of it and while he's an excellent Safety - I dont consider him a freak of nature - think he'll have anything to contribute at that position at that age and he's too small to consider moving down into the box.

He's not your traditional safety.  His game should still be playing strong into his age 33 and 34 years.  Is he going to be the elite CF safety that he is today?  Probably not, but he's still going to be an upper tier safety.

Just now, CWood21 said:

He's not your traditional safety.  His game should still be playing strong into his age 33 and 34 years.  Is he going to be the elite CF safety that he is today?  Probably not, but he's still going to be an upper tier safety.

Maybe. Put me down for "skeptical"

26 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I don't even have Thomas on my list... At safety, I have Amos & Boston as my top choices.

Amos and Boston would be a fine tandem. I'd overpay to get Thomas because he's still elite IMO and players like him are few and far between, but if we miss out, I'd love to see us do a double signing at SAF with Boston/Amos or Boston/Phillips.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

His injuries aren't anything that are repetitive, and they're not soft tissue injuries.  Long term, there really isn't much of a concern about the injuries affecting him.  It comes down to his age.  At 30 years old (in a few months), he's going to want a big, longterm deal.  We're talking about 4 years, $48M minimum.  Wouldn't be surprised if he pushed for a 5 year deal.  Could see it topping it out at 6 years, $78M.  Not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible if the safety market bounces back.

The thing is, it would probably be more like a 3 year deal with a pretty easy out after that. Rarely are 4 or 5 year deals actually 4 or 5 years.

13 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

The thing is, it would probably be more like a 3 year deal with a pretty easy out after that. Rarely are 4 or 5 year deals actually 4 or 5 years.

Sure it could be, but ET will likely be coveted by a good number of teams and it will come down to % guaranteed.  Bigger guaranteed is harder to get out of if it is signing bonus.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

For the money to sign Collins, I'd rather just get Thomas. The injuries scare me, but I feel like a rangy veteran in the back end would do a lot for the defense. 

Isn’t Collins more of an in box safety and Thomas plays the back end? 

I love both but the 2nd tier FS and SS May offer good enough value. 

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Amos and Boston would be a fine tandem. I'd overpay to get Thomas because he's still elite IMO and players like him are few and far between, but if we miss out, I'd love to see us do a double signing at SAF with Boston/Amos or Boston/Phillips.

I’d pass on Thomas if I could get 2 of the 4 you listed after. To me, 2 good safeties is better than one great one. Those 2 could eventually both play longer for the Packers than Thomas as well plus Thomas will get BIG bucks. 

Archived