2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

22 minutes ago, boratt said:

Spriggs sucks at tackle. I read some bronco opinion that turner played ok at tackle last year in a couple spot starts. Spriggs has never had an ok NFL series let alone game. So Turner seems like a much better bet than Spriggs at tackle. 

I hope Spriggs somehow turns into a player but so far he’s just garbage. 

Quit drinking the kool aid. Spriggs hasn’t put it all together yet, but he isn’t a bust either. Hopefully he puts it together this year, but we’ve seen improvement from him over the years for sure. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Donzo said:

What's this based on?

When did the Packers say they spent all their remaining FA money Turner?

It's based on a decision to spend all available cap in the first phase of FA (first week or so) rather than save money for phase 2 (second 2-3 weeks) or phase 3 (after the draft) when more bargains are available.  Phase 2 was when TT used to sparingly use FA, and managed to get some bargains.

17 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Depends if you want quality over quantity. And tbh we got a bit of both. Getting 4 starting cailber players in one offseason is really good. Could you got another player or 2? Sure but is it really gonna make or break our roster that much? Feel like we filled the rest of the roster enough in the draft

I'm not disappointed in the overall outcome.  I'm a little disappointed in the process that led to us sitting out phase 2/3 of FA when history has shown that this is clearly the period when the best bargains and value plays are out there.

15 hours ago, Starr2Max said:

That might be an excellent sentiment in retrospect, but hindsight is always 20:20.  We may not have known at the time that Madison was coming back, although Gute probably did but didn't know how much he could depend on him.  We definitely didn't know that Jenkins would be available and be our second rounder.  I feel that the draft is best approached if you have filled your most glaring needs and can therefore select the best player available that improves your roster, rather than reach for someone to fill a critical hole.  Could we have gotten by without Turner, possibly, but I'm not sure we know yet how he is going to be used,

It's obvious how he's going to be used.  He's the starting RG. 

It's not hindsight to suggest that GB should participate in all aspects of player acquisition - expensive top end FA, draft, UDFA, trades, lower end value FA.

My issue isn't really with the player more the process.  If Billy Turner is an amazing G, great, fine.  I'm singling him out mostly because he was the least popular signing here.  Point being that it's unlikely that all 4 of our FA signings are going to be "good signings" when you look back in 2022.

To be crystal clear, I'm not singling out Turner or the position.  Addressing G was a good call.  You could say that signing both of the Smiths was the worse choice compared to Turner, but personally I would rather have them than Turner given the value of depth at that position.  

My overall point was that GB sacrificed optionality and flexibility by signing 4 FAs in the early period.  GB easily could have signed a DJ Fluker level deal instead of Billy Turner, and had 2-3M to play around with in these 2nd/3rd phases of FA.

Similarly, having Tramon Williams as a top 10 cap hit and bottom 10 player is a bad contract that should have been dumped for some of these value signings lately.  Gute clearly sits on his hands and doesn't sign FAs when he should.  He's too scared to make tough calls on veteran players who need to be cut.

Still, though.  It is rather distressing how the FA period went after the initial surge.  Seemed a bit like a kid with a bunch of power that he didn't know how to use right away... rebelling against TT's old ways by signing "top level FAs" and lacking an overall perspective on the process.

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Spriggs sucks at tackle. I read some bronco opinion that turner played ok at tackle last year in a couple spot starts. Spriggs has never had an ok NFL series let alone game. So Turner seems like a much better bet than Spriggs at tackle. 

I hope Spriggs somehow turns into a player but so far he’s just garbage. 

There are a ton of NFL tackles worse than Spriggs. To say he’s never even had a good series is just stupid.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

It's based on a decision to spend all available cap in the first phase of FA (first week or so) rather than save money for phase 2 (second 2-3 weeks) or phase 3 (after the draft) when more bargains are available.  

Well, OK, I guess... The thing is, that didn't answer my question. And, really, what you said is not accurate.

Again, I'll ask, when did the Packers say they didn't have any money left for free agents?

55 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Well, OK, I guess... The thing is, that didn't answer my question. And, really, what you said is not accurate.

Again, I'll ask, when did the Packers say they didn't have any money left for free agents?

unless they are gonna dip into the rollover, they are done signing FAs.

I’d say Spriggs has like a 90% chance at busting. 

Bahk came in a 6’4 299 pound tackle and started on the left side from day one and you knew he was gonna be ok. 

Spriggs came in a 6’6” 301 pound second round pick and has been passed up by Justin McCray and anyone who has a pulse. 

How long do you give a guy before you move on? Spriggs has to show something this year or get outta here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

unless they are gonna dip into the rollover, they are done signing FAs.

Alright, that's another non answer compounded with an irrelevant statement.

I thought you had some actual info on the situation. I see now that is not the case.

5 hours ago, Donzo said:

why do you need to hear it from the packers to believe it?  I don't have any concrete evidence that they are done spending.  Just a general understanding of the packers, the NFL, the cap, and how things work.

What else factors into their inactivity besides being out of money?  Clearly there are holes and opportunities that remain on the roster.

26 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Alright, that's another non answer compounded with an irrelevant statement.

I thought you had some actual info on the situation. I see now that is not the case.

They are not active in free agency and haven't been tied to anyone but the smallest level of free agents lately (those which won't affect their cap).  Unlike a number of other teams like Baltimore, NE, etc.

Based on their history and tendency, the packers have already spent all or effectively all of their available cap on free agents.

I thought you had something to actually contribute.  I see now that is not the case.

One of my biggest take a ways from joining this site years ago is that a large number of us, including myself, know very little about the intricacies of Oline play. msmre, Palmy, and another guy who I can't recall ATM used to spit some real knowledge and absolutely own people left and right on the subject when they pretended they did. I personally keep my takes on the Oline to a minimum and keep it very general because I know I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, boratt said:

I’d say Spriggs has like a 90% chance at busting. 

Bahk came in a 6’4 299 pound tackle and started on the left side from day one and you knew he was gonna be ok. 

Spriggs came in a 6’6” 301 pound second round pick and has been passed up by Justin McCray and anyone who has a pulse. 

How long do you give a guy before you move on? Spriggs has to show something this year or get outta here.

He also has been passed up by people with no pulse who need chest compressions and rescue breaths until medical personnel arrive or AED becomes available. But lets see how he does in the new blocking system as it be better suited for him ( major reservations though).

10 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

One of my biggest take a ways from joining this site years ago is that a large number of us, including myself, know very little about the intricacies of Oline play. msmre, Palmy, and another guy who I can't recall ATM used to spit some real knowledge and absolutely own people left and right on the subject when they pretended they did. I personally keep my takes on the Oline to a minimum and keep it very general because I know I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about. 

Best thing anyone can do is learn that when someone disputes your opinion you don’t have to dispute their opinion. 

10 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

One of my biggest take a ways from joining this site years ago is that a large number of us, including myself, know very little about the intricacies of Oline play. msmre, Palmy, and another guy who I can't recall ATM used to spit some real knowledge and absolutely own people left and right on the subject when they pretended they did. 

Yep, there use to be a lot of great football talk here.

Now, every thread is a TAPT thread filled with nonsense and very little football talk at all.

For Spriggs, he's had some success as a Packer and now the OL is going to a scheme he's played his whole life. Add in that he's still a young player and this very well could be breakout year for him.

I hope Spriggs breaks out. But man, he’s had every chance to pass up guys like McCray and Bell yet couldn’t. 

He could be a late bloomer though. I hope so. 

And him not stepping forward in a scheme designed for him, that’s gotta be the nail in the coffin, no?

I want him to do well. I give him a chance to do well. But he’s had a lot of chances to prove he’s a solid NFL player and should start yet he just hasn’t been able to get past 3rd string. 

Im not trying to argue with coaches or personnel guys. I’m just going off what they chose (to make spriggs a last resort) and I’m assuming the line coaches understand line play. Maybe they don’t though and there are better professionals here. I doubt that, but that’s where my opinion comes from. Im not making random guesses. I’m trusting the coaches decisions and putting weight on that.

brand new set of coaches. Spriggs has to be running out of excuses.

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, boratt said:

I hope Spriggs breaks out. But man, he’s had every chance to pass up guys like McCray and Bell yet couldn’t. 

He could be a late bloomer though. I hope so. 

And him not stepping forward in a scheme designed for him, that’s gotta be the nail in the coffin, no?

I want him to do well. I give him a chance to do well. But he’s had a lot of chances to prove he’s a solid NFL player and should start yet he just hasn’t been able to get past 3rd string. 

Im not trying to argue with coaches or personnel guys. I’m just going off what they chose (to make spriggs a last resort) and I’m assuming the line coaches understand line play. Maybe they don’t though and there are better professionals here. I doubt that, but that’s where my opinion comes from. Im not making random guesses. I’m trusting the coaches decisions and putting weight on that.

brand new set of coaches. Spriggs has to be running out of excuses.

He's a disappointing player.  Packers traded up for the guy in round two, and he's just been a jamoke so far.  It seems he is an improving jamoke, so maybe things will finally together for him this year.  It's kind of now or never for him in GB.