2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, Outpost31 said:

The difference is that Mack had a year left on his contract and the value the Raiders received for trading him was massive. 

I dont think thats the key difference. The key difference is mack forced the raiders to act by holding out. The raiders didnt pursue that massive trade value first. And LIS, if the raiders wanted to extend him they would have.

im arguing against the belief that teams dont let good  players get away in FA. I dont think thats always true. I think that the money a good player can get in FA, and thus bases his extension demands on, isnt always in the cards for his current team

Just now, snackattack said:

I dont think thats the key difference. The key difference is mack forced the raiders to act by holding out. The raiders didnt pursue that massive trade value first. And LIS, if the raiders wanted to extend him they would have.

You can't hold out if your contract is up.  That is a very simple concept.  And the majority of the Raiders DID want to re-sign Mack. 

im arguing against the belief that teams dont let good  players get away in FA. I dont think thats always true. I think that the money a good player can get in FA, and thus bases his extension demands on, isnt always in the cards for his current team

Sorry, but teams don't let great players hit free agency anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You can't hold out if your contract is up.  That is a very simple concept.  And the majority of the Raiders DID want to re-sign Mack. 

Topic #3 in this article is one to consider: http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/three-takeaways-from-nfl-agents-on-the-khalil-mack

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You remind me of alan from the hangover sometimes. I know clowney cant hold out. I said that the difference between his and macks situation was that mack could force action by holding out. 

I'm lukewarm on Clowney. He's underachieved in his career to be honest with you and has only played one full season. Given how often our players get hurt, especially EDGE guys, it's too much of a gamble going after Clowney. I think we're better off looking to the draft for that stud rusher rather than pursuing Clowney or rehashing the Mack thing for the 50th time.

Perhaps there's an OL worth our time in FA? Bobby Hart or Daryl Williams? 

Edited by Joe

15 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Sign this guy for 5 per?  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SefeAu00.htm

Surely you jest! 

Look at his quarterbacks.  

I got the same comments when I said we need to sign Jared Cook.  We don't need Travis Kelce or prime Gronkowski.  All we need is the THREAT of a big, fast tight end.  That opens up everything for everybody else.  

Sefarian Jenkins would do more for our offense next year than any rookie TE could possibly hope to.  

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Look at his quarterbacks.  

I got the same comments when I said we need to sign Jared Cook.  We don't need Travis Kelce or prime Gronkowski.  All we need is the THREAT of a big, fast tight end.  That opens up everything for everybody else.  

Sefarian Jenkins would do more for our offense next year than any rookie TE could possibly hope to.  

Ran a 4.74 coming out of college. Are you sure you don't have him mixed up with someone else? 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Ran a 4.74 coming out of college. Are you sure you don't have him mixed up with someone else? 

That's not exactly slow for a 6'5, 262 pound man.  You have to remember that the Grahams, Gronkowskis and Reeds are the exceptions, and ASJ has certainly shown plenty of ability to make plays in this league.  That's really all we need.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That's not exactly slow for a 6'5, 262 pound man.  You have to remember that the Grahams, Gronkowskis and Reeds are the exceptions, and ASJ has certainly shown plenty of ability to make plays in this league.  That's really all we need.

We have to agree to disagree on this guy. If we sign him I hope you are right, but I don't see the upside with him. 

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

We have to agree to disagree on this guy. If we sign him I hope you are right, but I don't see the upside with him. 

I haven’t seen too much on Isaac Nauta from Georgia as a potential 3rd or 4th round pick. Great blocker and former 5 Star recruit. Should have stayed in school, but possibly big upside 

2 minutes ago, 66fan said:

I haven’t seen too much on Isaac Nauta from Georgia as a potential 3rd or 4th round pick. Great blocker and former 5 Star recruit. Should have stayed in school, but possibly big upside 

I've seen him rated as high as 5th among TEs. I think it goes: Hock, Fant, Smith, Sternberger, Nauta. I think that was the one from Bucky Brooks so take it for what it is worth. 

I'd love to get a good TE in draft and am not opposed to grabbing a TE with in free agency. Not sure I can embrace one with our first three picks though. So many more needs if we are keeping Graham. That is also not a good reason to pass on a superior player if it happens to be TE when we're on the clock.