2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

I've recently come to the conclusion that the best FA pass rusher we will be in the market for is Clay Matthews.  Guy is still a fine 2nd guy.  He needs to play fewer snaps and manage his health (always has tbh), but he has more upside than most of these FA pass rushers.

Go ahead, fire away.

• Like 1

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I've recently come to the conclusion that the best FA pass rusher we will be in the market for is Clay Matthews.  Guy is still a fine 2nd guy.  He needs to play fewer snaps and manage his health (always has tbh), but he has more upside than most of these FA pass rushers.

Definitely agree when you put that in bold. 

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Go ahead, fire away.

He's old and done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Go ahead, fire away.

He hasn't been any good since Dr. Neal and his bag full of roids left town.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Go ahead, fire away.

um, nope. No. He's not good at anything anymore. He can't win with his speed, agility, or power anymore. He doesn't have a go-to move. He's gotten pressure mostly from just being unblocked on stunts or protection breakdowns. He's not it anymore

• Like 1

Just now, rcon14 said:

um, nope. No. He's not good at anything anymore. He can't win with his speed, agility, or power anymore. He doesn't have a go-to move. He's gotten pressure mostly from just being unblocked on stunts or protection breakdowns. He's not it anymore

And what's being forgotten in his statement is "that we will be in the market for."  Every pass rusher better than him is going to price themselves out of Green Bay.  Clay Matthews is a damn fine 3rd option, and you won't find many third string pass rushers better than him.  Plus, he's fully capable of being more than serviceable at ILB. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

And what's being forgotten in his statement is "that we will be in the market for."  Every pass rusher better than him is going to price themselves out of Green Bay.  Clay Matthews is a damn fine 3rd option, and you won't find many third string pass rushers better than him.  Plus, he's fully capable of being more than serviceable at ILB. 

You have no idea if this is going to be true. Is it possible? Yeah. Don't use absolutes for something we don't know.

Just now, rcon14 said:

You have no idea if this is going to be true. Is it possible? Yeah. Don't use absolutes for something we don't know.

You just used an absolute by saying we don't know it.  That's as absolute as me saying we do know it.  It wasn't an extreme statement of fact, it was a statement of opinion with the "in my opinion" assumed.  I didn't say, "It is an absolute, irrefutable fact beyond a shadow of doubt that we won't be in the market for other players." 

in my opinion, we will not be in the market for a better pass rusher.  Better? 

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Go ahead, fire away.

Where do you see upside?  He's got just 16 sacks over the last 3 years and has struggled badly at beating his man.  On top of stinking as a pass rusher last year he stunk in run support.  He plays like he's 35 or 36 (and Not Cameron Wake or Terrell Suggs 35 or 36).

He hasn't been all that effective since moving back to OLB full time.  If he's brought back he needs to be played in the middle exlusively.  The days of him beig a starting caliber OLB are long gone IMO.   He's not explosive enough anymore and his body can't take the abuse.  

Even if Jadeveon Clowny, Demarcus Lawrence, Trey Flowers, Frank Clark and Dee Ford are franchised there are better options than CM3.  Brandon Graham is a better all around player.  Anthony Barr is a younger more explosive player.  Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith are younger players who have been every bit as productive as CM3.  Dante Fowler and Shaq Barrett are young guys who haven't gotten a whole lot of oppurtunity.  

If we don't care about age, guys like Suggs and Wake are substantially better pass rushers than CM3.  

56 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Can't say that with certainty at this point. Gutey had a truckload of cash waiting for Mack even before Cobb and Matthews were presumed gone.

Not to mention there are a lot of pass rushers that are better than him at this point. Shoot Fackrell is better.

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

We already have a 3rd option, Kyler Sackrell. Problem is we need a 1 and 2 option. 

I have no problem with Clay being on our team, but it's hard to imagine he'd agree to play for the peanuts I'd offer him at this point. The guy simply can't get home off the edge anymore.