2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

8 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Major problem is that turnovers aren't super "sticky" year-to-year so it might just be hard too create a defense that consistently creates turnovers.

Stats bear that out, but GB did have a nice run in 2009-2011

Takeaways per game, league ranking

2009.....# 2  ( Woodson = DPOY)
2010....# 3
2011....# 2
2012....# 17
2013....# 23
2014....# 4

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Stats bear that out, but GB did have a nice run in 2009-2011

Takeaways per game, league ranking

2009.....# 2  ( Woodson = DPOY)
2010....# 3
2011....# 2
2012....# 17
2013....# 23
2014....# 4

Oh they definitely did have a good run. I remember reading a good piece from Paul Noonan on this actually on why the turnover-based defense might just be harder now because of how offenses structure themselves: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2017/11/2/16593328/dom-capers-packers-defense-interceptions-numbers-offensive-trend-conservative-short-passes

Good read from Paul Noonan, thx.
Possessing the ball seems to be a real goal in modern NFL, just as much as scoring.

One comment I pulled out:

" Interceptions in the modern NFL are almost always a result of a team consistently leading and forcing their opponent to take risks"

The Packers used to score early and often, forcing their opponents to play catch-up vs an AR-led offense. But the early and often part went away over the last couple of seasons, both with and without AR

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-half-points-per-game?date=2019-02-04

Packers rank in first half scoring:

2017....#23 
2018....# 16  

• Like 1

I tried looking through thread for my answer and it is all over the place, so I will just post my question.  I figure with cap space available there should be at least 3 FA signings of note.

Assuming tags on:

Clowney, Lawrence, Ford, Clark, Collins

Who are your top 3 free agent targets and how much do you expect to pay for them?

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I tried looking through thread for my answer and it is all over the place, so I will just post my question.  I figure with cap space available there should be at least 3 FA signings of note.

Assuming tags on:

Who are your top 3 free agent targets and how much do you expect to pay for them?

Anthony Barr 12 per

Preston Smith 10 per

Shaq Barrett 10 per

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Assuming tags on:

I won't do names, but I'll do this...  Spotrac has $34M available to spend, and I believe that takes rookie wages into account.

Allocate $15M cap hit in year one for two safeties.  Two.

Allocate $10M cap hit in year one for an EDGE.

Allocate $4M cap hit in year one for a guard.  Or flip that money to EDGE and draft a starting guard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I won't do names, but I'll do this...  Spotrac has $34M available to spend, and I believe that takes rookie wages into account.

Allocate $15M cap hit in year one for two safeties.  Two.

Allocate $10M cap hit in year one for an EDGE.

Allocate $4M cap hit in year one for a guard.  Or flip that money to EDGE and draft a starting guard.

Seems a bit heavy on the spending for the safeties.  That's $7.5M per safety, which would be among the top 10 paid safeties.  And contracts are usually backloaded, so I'd anticipate that number comes in a bit further down from there.  I'd venture to guess we're going to be in the market for one of the top safeties (Earl Thomas, Landon Collins, etc.) and then a third or so tier safety.  We're looking probably closer to $12M.  Maybe less.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Seems a bit heavy on the spending for the safeties.  That's $7.5M per safety, which would be among the top 10 paid safeties.  And contracts are usually backloaded, so I'd anticipate that number comes in a bit further down from there.  I'd venture to guess we're going to be in the market for one of the top safeties (Earl Thomas, Landon Collins, etc.) and then a third or so tier safety.  We're looking probably closer to $12M.  Maybe less.

You think like I do.  I put $15M in there thinking a high end one (ET) would get $10M/year.  Then a second or third tier one would run $5M.  Obviously the cap hit in year one can be less, but still, I'd advocate $15M to that position.  Snag two that know what they are doing back there and let's see what that secondary can become.  The "plus" to this is that you can release Tramon and save another $5M or so.  We've got young corners, let's get vets at safety and help them out.

I'm just a HUGE fan of getting two back there.  Not one.  I'm done banking on Josh Jones at safety.  He has a skillset, and it isn't playing space or centerfield.

I'm just not giving up on Josh Jones yet, sorry.

Literally every single year for the past billion years it feels like we get a monster season out of someone who had been written off.

Adams, Fackrell, Martinez, Taylor, Bahktiari, Perry...

One of Josh Jones or Spriggs is going to have a monster season for us this coming season.  Before you laugh, just ask yourself what someone would have said to someone who guessed Fackrell would have ten sacks this year.

I am seriously shocked at that Landon Collins news.  He was the one I was most certain would re-sign.  That's excellent for us.  The attention he gets will distract high bidders, allowing us to swoop in and get Earl Thomas or what's his face from San Diego or what's his face from Arizona why can't I think of their names?