2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I seriously don't know what this is referencing lol. Help me

Last couple years we've been mentioned as a team that's going to make "runs" for the big name FAs. Last year it was CB. I dont see us landing one of the top EDGE guys and frankly I hope we target the more mid-tier guys anyways. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Last couple years we've been mentioned as a team that's going to make "runs" for the big name FAs. Last year it was CB. I dont see us landing one of the top EDGE guys and frankly I hope we target the more mid-tier guys anyways. 

Oh I thought it meant like a specific person also said we would do this. I do think we tried last year more than normal at least but that doesn't work when you don't hit on guys or the ones you do, don't work out 

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Oh I thought it meant like a specific person also said we would do this. I do think we tried last year more than normal at least but that doesn't work when you don't hit on guys or the ones you do, don't work out 

I wouldn't overpay for a pass rusher in the tier 1 class other than maybe Flowers, but even he will probably go for more than he's worth. I'd rather spread the funds around given our number of needs. 

• Like 2

We were tied for 8th in sacks last season, with 44.  In 2017 we were tied for 17th with 37.  In 2016 we tied for 6th with 40.  In 2015 we were tied for 7th with 43.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense

I question the need for an expensive addition.  Blake Martinez got 5 sacks on blitzes, and our safeties also added 5, it looks like this defense can make sacks.  If we can get any life out of a rusher opposite Sackrell we'd be sitting pretty.  To maintain the reasonably good output of last season we really only need Fackrell to come close to last season's output and to replace the 3.5 sacks of Clay Matthews.  Let's say that Fackrell gets 6.5 next season, we are looking for 7 sacks to be replaced.  Does that necessarily mean signing a top tier FA?  We just paid eleventy bajillion  dollars for Matthews and Perry's combined 44 tackles and 5 sacks.  Fackrell and Gilbert combined were 46 and 13.  Give me something mid tier and a premium draft pick.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We were tied for 8th in sacks last season, with 44.  In 2017 we were tied for 17th with 37.  In 2016 we tied for 6th with 40.  In 2015 we were tied for 7th with 43.

I question the need for an expensive addition.  Blake Martinez got 5 sacks on blitzes, and our safeties also added 5, it looks like this defense can make sacks.  If we can get any life out of a rusher opposite Sackrell we'd be sitting pretty.  To maintain the reasonably good output of last season we really only need Fackrell to come close to last season's output and to replace the 3.5 sacks of Clay Matthews.  Let's say that Fackrell gets 6.5 next season, we are looking for 7 sacks to be replaced.  Does that necessarily mean signing a top tier FA?  We just paid eleventy bajillion  dollars for Matthews and Perry's combined 44 tackles and 5 sacks.  Fackrell and Gilbert combined were 46 and 13.  Give me something mid tier and a premium draft pick.

Creating sacks through blitzing is worse than creating sacks without blitzing. The reason GB had to blitz so much is because the front couldn't generate pressure by themselves. If you can get high-quality EDGE guys, you don't have to send extra men from coverage.

• Like 2

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

We need guys who can create sacks on their own. I like Pettine and I'm glad his scheme is creating sack opportunities for Martinez and the DBs, but you give something up on the back end when you send pressure like that. Imagine if we had an edge rusher who could hound the QB all on his own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Creating sacks through blitzing is worse than creating sacks without blitzing. The reason GB had to blitz so much is because the front couldn't generate pressure by themselves. If you can get high-quality EDGE guys, you don't have to send extra men from coverage.

Isn't that what Pettine has done all along though? 

I just don't think adding Clowney to this defense is the same as adding Peppers to younger Matthews and Perry.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just don't think adding Clowney to this defense is the same as adding Peppers to younger Matthews and Perry.

I mean chances are we aren't going to have a chance to get a guy like that anyways. I'll be very surprised if Lawrence, Clowney, Ford and Clark aren't all franchised. NE doesn't use the tag much but very well could for Flowers. I think targeting a tier-2 guy may not just be the recommended route, but perhaps the only route available once FA actually starts. 

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We don't have a younger Matthews or Perry to add to. Clowney turned 26 yesterday and is coming off three straight Pro Bowls. He would change our defense overnight.

33 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

If Capers was still DC I'd agree with this, but I firmly believe that a DT who can collapse the pocket is MORE valuable than an Edge.  We still need help at the edge, but we don't pressure up the middle either and that let's QBs step up. Dexter Lawrance/Christian Wilkins/Jeffrey Simmons at 30 would make me very excited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

If Capers was still DC I'd agree with this, but I firmly believe that a DT who can collapse the pocket is MORE valuable than an Edge.  We still need help at the edge, but we don't pressure up the middle either and that let's QBs step up. Dexter Lawrance/Christian Wilkins/Jeffrey Simmons at 30 would make me very excited.

I don't understand why people think that Pettine just doesn't value or use EDGE pressure. There's some weird groupthink going on with this idea that doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I don't think I'm as high on the clemson boys as rushers in the pros as you are. But I agree with the rest. Cams Jordan or Heyward or Watt type would do it for me. Pending the numbers on the BC guy I'd really like to target him. The explosiveness is worrying.

• Like 1