2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

IMO all Kizer has shown in his NFL career is inadequacy.  Would a team trade for him? I can't say.  I have seen trades that are even worse, so who knows.  I wouldn't count on it though.  I do think that for the remainder of Rodgers' huge contract we have made our bed with having a back-up QB on a rookie contract.  Veterans, especially decent ones, cost money.  We already have a significant percentage of our cap tied up in a position where only one player sees the field.  

Maybe Pete Carroll needs another backup?

I think adding a McCown or Fitzpatrick would be a wise move ... Kizer just can't play.  I don't know about Boyle either .. just rather have a legit veteran that can win a few games if Aaron goes down to injury.  McCown is also thought to have serious coaching potential as well ... sharp guy, great teammate.  He might actually be able to help Aaron a bit as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

IMO all Kizer has shown in his NFL career is inadequacy.  Would a team trade for him? I can't say.  I have seen trades that are even worse, so who knows.  I wouldn't count on it though.  I do think that for the remainder of Rodgers' huge contract we have made our bed with having a back-up QB on a rookie contract.  Veterans, especially decent ones, cost money.  We already have a significant percentage of our cap tied up in a position where only one player sees the field.  

I agree on Kizer’s value or lack of value. I would like McCown because of his intelligence of the position with the possibility of being a future coaching candidate as guys like Getsy gets promoted in the next year or so.

5 minutes ago, 66fan said:

How much would either McCown or Fitzpatrick cost for 1 or 2 years? $5 million per year? Probably worth the insurance of playing without Rodgers for a 3 or 4 game stretch in the middle of the season. 

I've always been in the opposite boat but I totally understand those who want someone like this or the teams that do it. I guess my logic is roll the dice that we stay healthy there and add someone with that money you think plays snaps every week when we're healthy. But that obviously backfires if the QB doesn't. 

I'd honestly just prefer to sign everybody that gets cut and maybe one mid-level free agent.  There are gonna be a lot of okay to good players who get cut this year, just like every year. 

If we cut Nick Perry, he'll probably have the best season of any of the free agent pass rushers other than maybe Clowney. 

I have always liked the backup QB to be young and cheap.  If he is not an established starter, and he is in his second contract, he is not very likely to become a starting caliber QB.  Chances are, you will need your defense and special teams to play outstanding to win any game in which your starting QB misses significant time.  I would rather the guy be:  young, cheap, and bad, than:  old, expensive, and bad.  

Having said that, there is a talent threshold that is necessary.  It would be incredibly difficult to win a game playing Graham Harrell.  If we think Kizer, Boyle, or new camp rookie is that bad, by all means improve there.  Give me rookie contract Matt Flynn, not Seattle contract Matt Flynn.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

Jeffery Simmons tore his ACL per Adam Schefter. He was one of my favorites for 12. I think this probably pushes him out of round one for sure.

Wow! This is horrible for him.... Can't see him going higher than the late 2nd now. Brutal. I'm assuming it's too late for him to un-declare 

Muddies up our pick too. One less DL to target at 12

1 hour ago, 66fan said:

How much would either McCown or Fitzpatrick cost for 1 or 2 years? $5 million per year? Probably worth the insurance of playing without Rodgers for a 3 or 4 game stretch in the middle of the season. 

Fitzpatrick will probably get close to 10 imo.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Vinny Curry is an ideal free agent signing. 

Will his 2019 contract demands be more aligned with his actual talent and contribution ?
His last two teams didn't think so - and they were both teams that favored the 4-3 DE types

Curry just signed in TB last March and 11 months later they dump him ? Why ?
Todd Bowles is now the DC in TB, so perhaps he's gone due to fit in Bowles version of the 3-4 defense
If he is willing to take rotational money, then he's much more interesting and its always good to see more DL added to the pool of availability

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Will his 2019 contract demands be more aligned with his actual talent and contribution ?
His last two teams didn't think so - and they were both teams that favored the 4-3 DE types

Curry just signed in TB last March and 11 months later they dump him ? Why ?
Todd Bowles is now the DC in TB, so perhaps he's gone due to fit in Bowles version of the 3-4 defense
If he is willing to take rotational money, then he's much more interesting and its always good to see more DL added to the pool of availability

It doesn't really matter.  He's an experienced DL with the right size to play a role in Pettine's scheme.  He's not going to be a big contract.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It doesn't really matter.  He's an experienced DL with the right size to play a role in Pettine's scheme.  He's not going to be a big contract.

I'm not a huge fan of Vinnie Curry.  But...from the little I remember, he had good length and was a plus for power.  Yah, he's a third tier EDGE prospect, kind of in that same tier as Shaq Barrett.  If the contract isn't bad, I'll bet he could eat some snaps.

He's a guy, though, that I let hang in free agency for a while.  Let the stupid money get spent and then see what it would take to get him on a prove it kind of deal.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Vinnie Curry.  But...from the little I remember, he had good length and was a plus for power.  Yah, he's a third tier EDGE prospect, kind of in that same tier as Shaq Barrett.  If the contract isn't bad, I'll bet he could eat some snaps.

He's a guy, though, that I let hang in free agency for a while.  Let the stupid money get spent and then see what it would take to get him on a prove it kind of deal.

Fwiw, Curry was suuuuuper quick. 96th percentile agility score, but he was pretty pedestrian to bad everywhere else (bad Speed 40 and horrendous Speed 10). I'm not sure Curry is worth rostering at this point. His production has been mediocre all but one year, and I think you can probably get a cheaper EDGE4 option (which is probably all he is at this point).

• Like 1