2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Norm, Norm, Norm...you're ma dawg, but I don't quite get all the pieces of your argument as I line them up.

[Normquote:] And saying if you pay the most you win, that sounds like we're admitting we have that disadvantage to me. Having to pay more than anyone else does is a crappy way to run a team and a clear disadvantage...[/Normquote].

Paying more than anyone else does is exactly how you win at any auction, as any auction league fantasy football player knows. It's just not that smart to win all the time.

But let's not pretend this is a straight up and down auction. There are other variables that move up and down depending upon the players. In the free agent auction, much as in the Dating Game, you might not want to take the most money because you know you won't be happy with team X. Also, as in the Dating Game, you actually might be the sort to go anywhere for the right money. I don't think Green Bay has followed a crappy path to run a team--they just drafted badly for a few years running--but they are at a disadvantage by being in a small, cold-weather market, and that is an almost meaningless factor for some players and a huge factor for others.

Edited by blueswedeshoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

So Outpost, what do you suggest the Packers do?  Quit trying, move the franchise to another warm. tax free state, put our head in the snow and wish?  Nobody wants to come to Green Bay cuz of this, that, whatever;  how would you entice free agents to come here?   If we offer more money for a free agent to come here, are you the 1st one to whack them for overpaying?  Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't 

Just what they've been doing.  I love that it is what it is because I think the best free agency is value free agency.  Look at our free agent hits/busts compared to others.  You bust on a Peppers/Graham and you're not screwed.  Bust on a Vernon and you're screwed.  

It's why guys like Phillips and Spain and others like them are on my most wanted list this year.

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Norm, Norm, Norm...you're ma dawg, but I don't quite get all the pieces of your argument as I line them up.

[Normquote:] And saying if you pay the most you win, that sounds like we're admitting we have that disadvantage to me. Having to pay more than anyone else does is a crappy way to run a team and a clear disadvantage...[/Normquote].

Paying more than anyone else does is exactly how you win at any auction, as any auction league fantasy football player knows. It's just not that smart to win all the time.

But let's not pretend this is a straight up and down auction. There are other variables that move up and down depending upon the players. In the free agent auction, much as in the Dating Game, you might not want to take the most money because you know you won't be happy with team X. Also, as in the Dating Game, you actually might be the sort to go anywhere for the right money. I don't think Green Bay has followed a crappy path to run a team--they just drafted badly for a few years running--but they are at a disadvantage by being in a small, cold-weather market, and that is an almost meaningless factor for some players and a huge factor for others.

I pretty much agree with this. I guess it all started with this idea you let Breeland go somewhere else and save that money for something bigger and all I was saying from the start is that can backfire on you if people keep upping the bid. Eventually it's too much and matching probably doesn't get that player here, there's always exceptions of guys that want to be here I just hope (and actually believe) they'd have a pretty concrete plan over "let Breeland go for unnamed better player." Then it just ran a pet peeve of mine that we are on equal footing when it comes to everything but money.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I pretty much agree with this. I guess it all started with this idea you let Breeland go somewhere else and save that money for something bigger and all I was saying from the start is that can backfire on you if people keep upping the bid. Eventually it's too much and matching probably doesn't get that player here, there's always exceptions of guys that want to be here I just hope (and actually believe) they'd have a pretty concrete plan over "let Breeland go for unnamed better player." Then it just ran a pet peeve of mine that we are on equal footing when it comes to everything but money.

It's just an opportunity cost discussion. The 6M you use on Breeland (just assuming a number, it can be any number) then can't be used on someone else. I don't know what to do with Breeland. I think he's pretty good but I'm not really sure.

50 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just what they've been doing.  I love that it is what it is because I think the best free agency is value free agency.  Look at our free agent hits/busts compared to others.  You bust on a Peppers/Graham and you're not screwed.  Bust on a Vernon and you're screwed.  

It's why guys like Phillips and Spain and others like them are on my most wanted list this year.

Fair enough.  I don't think they should spend huge dollars on 1 big free agent either.  However, I wouldn't mind 2-3-4 mid/higher level free agents.   

4 hours ago, rcon14 said:

It's just an opportunity cost discussion. The 6M you use on Breeland (just assuming a number, it can be any number) then can't be used on someone else. I don't know what to do with Breeland. I think he's pretty good but I'm not really sure.

I think in an ideal situation, we re-sign Breeland to his 6M per season, probably something like 3/21, if we can.  In three seasons he will hit the magic 30 number.  It also gives us a more steady player to lean on if Alexander and Jackson are Randall and Rollins, and if Kevin King is stuck in the training room.  Our CB room has the benefit of being relatively cheap with a first round pick, two second round picks, and a UDFA all on rookie contracts, and whatever it was that we picked up Will Redomond for.

I don't think that this is a year where the Packers should get a big time FA.  I think we need this next season to build the team back up.  Then we can get our plug and play FA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I like breeland and hope we can sign him at a good price. spending three of our top draft picks on corners the past two years makes it tough for me to feel good about anything close to what carolina gave him. I dont think anyone will,offer him that, but i just dont know how much lower teams will go

Sign me up for Breeland at $6-7M annually. He shores up a position group that's been an Achilles heel for years. Without him, there are just too many question marks between King, Alexander, Jackson, and Brown. With him, I feel a lot better about that group and think it has the potential to be really good.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Sign me up for Breeland at $6-7M annually. He shores up a position group that's been an Achilles heel for years. Without him, there are just too many question marks between King, Alexander, Jackson, and Brown. With him, I feel a lot better about that group and think it has the potential to be really good.

Breeland is maybe a 3 million per player so don't make him out to be something he isn't. 

49 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Breeland is maybe a 3 million per player so don't make him out to be something he isn't. 

Breeland had a pretty good offer from someone last offseason (CAR I think) before his "freak" foot injury/laceration and then infection.  I think that CAR offer was somewhere in the range of $7-8M per year.  

Certainly the 1 year of noted less game action and snaps might cause market to drop some, but veteran CB that have shown ability in the NFL are more sought after than not.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Breeland had a pretty good offer from someone last offseason (CAR I think) before his "freak" foot injury/laceration and then infection.  I think that CAR offer was somewhere in the range of $7-8M per year.  

Certainly the 1 year of noted less game action and snaps might cause market to drop some, but veteran CB that have shown ability in the NFL are more sought after than not.

The CAR contract Breeland signed was 3YR/24M.  It was nullified by a foot infection resulting from a non-football injury prior to the start of the season. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, rcon14 said:

I'm with you on not knowing. I have zero feel either

• Like 1