2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

He hasn't?

Not really.  He hasn't been anything spectacular since the Seahawks game of 2017.  Doesn't seem to be a great fit for Pettine, either.  

It's why I want us to trade him and draft Zach Allen and Anthony Nelson in the draft.  Pettine makes me not really care about typical EDGE rushers and makes me want that 6-4, 270-280 pound tweener type.  

Zadarius Smith is also my favorite free agent prospect at EDGE because of this.

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not really.  He hasn't been anything spectacular since the Seahawks game of 2017.  Doesn't seem to be a great fit for Pettine, either.  

It's why I want us to trade him and draft Zach Allen and Anthony Nelson in the draft.  Pettine makes me not really care about typical EDGE rushers and makes me want that 6-4, 270-280 pound tweener type.  

Yeah I'm just not on board with this, and it's part of the reason I haven't been on board with Pettine in general. If he wants to have big slow EDGE guys and non-penetrators at the IDL, I just don't see the value in that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I almost put Anthony Nelson in my Mock, then I watched him play and read up on him a bit. I don't care if he's big, that dude has no explosion off the ball from what I watched. I bet he tests absolutely terrible at the combine.

I still think Pettine wants that one “***** kitty” pass rusher to go alongside what he’s typically looking for in his front seven, as told in the one book about his time with the Jets. That’s why I think Polite is a candidate to be drafted by us, even if he’s not typically what Pettine generally looks for, compositionally. 

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Yeah I'm just not on board with this, and it's part of the reason I haven't been on board with Pettine in general. If he wants to have big slow EDGE guys and non-penetrators at the IDL, I just don't see the value in that.

I don't know how much I buy it. Where did the whole idea come from about Pettine wanting "big slow guys anyway" as opposed to explosive athletes? I'm not saying it's wrong. Just no idea what it's based on.  I'd be willing to bet if you asked him he preferred big, fast, explosive guys, like most coordinators. Also is it not possible for Pettine to evolve?

Also, if he wants his  EDGEs to be so big, Mike Smith sure has a background with speedy guys like Ford and Houston. Is Pettien going to bench his 10.5 Sack guy in Fackrell because he's not big enough?

Edited by Arthur Penske

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I almost put Anthony Nelson in my Mock, then I watched him play and read up on him a bit. I don't care if he's big, that dude has no explosion off the ball from what I watched. I bet he tests absolutely terrible at the combine.

I would take Nelson if he makes it to the second pick in the 4th round. He strikes me as a guy who will get it done as a backup, regardless of measureables. Those Iowa guys have a lot of success one way or another 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Dangerous area to desire prospects in. You'll find more Mike Neal's and Datone Jones's than useful players. Too big for EDGE too small for DL is not an area I want to partake in. Neither of those guys moved the needle at all for me watching them battle at the Senior Bowl.

255-260 is a perfect size for our EDGE players.

2 hours ago, rcon14 said:

But is that pettine's preference?

11 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Woof. For a guy who blew a chance at a SB, Dee Ford is gonna get PAID

He will most likely get franchised. Living in KC, I'd be pretty weary of giving him a big contract. He had a good year but has been inconsistent over his career and has had injury issues. 

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure Id be that interested in any of those contracts. The Flowers and Collins contracts might intrigue me, Flowers more so being a 25 year old edge but 16 million for someone without double digit sacks on their resume(scheme can impact that some) would make me nervous. I like Collins but double digit millions for more of a strong safety type isn't the best decision either. 

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so I apologize if this has been discussed or belongs on the draft thread, but how many starting level free agents do we need to retain or acquire to free up the draft to truly go bpa/bva? As of now, positions in need of a starting level player appear to be: DE, OLB, ILB, S (1 or 2), RG, and WR. An extra CB, TE, and RT (Bulaga's last year under contract and busted up knees...) could also arguably be added to this list. Given a need for 8-10 immediate contributors, how many of those positions are you comfortable addressing through the draft, and how many through free agency? Also, which positions would you prefer to draft, and which would you rather get a veteran?