2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

On 2/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, Shanedorf said:

Is that why the Chiefs wouldn't get any trade offers ?
His salary just too high ?

IF GB has to compete with other teams in FA for Houston, it's likely to raise the $$ above a Peppers-type deal.
What if you traded a 4th to KC ? ( Robert Quinn traded for a 4th last year)

Could you potentially re-work Houston's deal at the same time to make it more palatable ?
Swap some non-guaranteed 2019/20 salary for a new signing bonus and stretch it out over 3 years instead of the 2 on his current contract
Is that a viable option to secure his services ? 

Houston is a negative asset at his current number. It would require a re-structure for him to become a positive asset, and if they re-structure him they'd have to eat a big dead cap to move him. He's a cap casualty or keep kind of guy.

Are there any of our RFA/ERFA that we just don't want back? I'm sure that not all of them are going to get an offer.  Here is the list:

RFA:

Geronimo Allison WR (25)

Kentrell Brice S (25)

ERFA:

Lucas Patrick G (26)

Justin McCray G (27)

Adam Pankey T (25)

Reggie Gilbert DE (26)

Robert Tonyan TE (25)

Jake Kumerow WR (27)

Fadol Brown DE (26)

I think Allison, Gilbert, Brice, and Kumerow should be no-brainers.  Tonyan has NFL experience, and the position is thin.  I think we should keep one of the OL, but I don't know which.  Fadol Brown I only saw in one game and then he turned into a ghost.

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are there any of our RFA/ERFA that we just don't want back? I'm sure that not all of them are going to get an offer.  Here is the list:

RFA:

Geronimo Allison WR (25)

Kentrell Brice S (25)

ERFA:

Lucas Patrick G (26)

Justin McCray G (27)

Adam Pankey T (25)

Reggie Gilbert DE (26)

Robert Tonyan TE (25)

Jake Kumerow WR (27)

Fadol Brown DE (26)

I think Allison, Gilbert, Brice, and Kumerow should be no-brainers.  Tonyan has NFL experience, and the position is thin.  I think we should keep one of the OL, but I don't know which.  Fadol Brown I only saw in one game and then he turned into a ghost.

Allison is probably a 2nd round tender. Brice is probably an original round tender. Kumerow, Tonyan, Gilbert, McCray, and Patrick probably all retained. ERFA just requires the league minimum, so it's a pretty easy cut.

10 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Allison is probably a 2nd round tender. Brice is probably an original round tender. Kumerow, Tonyan, Gilbert, McCray, and Patrick probably all retained. ERFA just requires the league minimum, so it's a pretty easy cut.

Agreed.  The cost to retain them is so low, it is hard to fathom that GB would not want them back at least as a camp body at the various positions

• Like 1

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Brice not retained. Not necessarily saying he should be, but we’ve seen it before here where backup-quality players are put in a starting position, fail to perform and then are not brought back even as backups. I kind of get the feeling that’s what we’re going to see happen here. Management decides to go with a guy who might be able to be starting- quality as a backup rather than the one they know isn’t. 

9 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Brice not retained. Not necessarily saying he should be, but we’ve seen it before here where backup-quality players are put in a starting position, fail to perform and then are not brought back even as backups. I kind of get the feeling that’s what we’re going to see happen here. Management decides to go with a guy who might be able to be starting- quality as a backup rather than the one they know isn’t. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Brice ultimately didn't end up back. Honestly, the original round tender is like 2M and Brice isn't worth that. If he's brought back it would more likely be that we declined to retain his restricted rights and brought him back as a UFA.

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Brice ultimately didn't end up back. Honestly, the original round tender is like 2M and Brice isn't worth that. If he's brought back it would more likely be that we declined to retain his restricted rights and brought him back as a UFA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought RFA tenders were non-guaranteed.  Franchise tenders are gauranteed once they're sign though.

13 hours ago, Golfman said:

Dante Fowler played really well yesterday in my opinion. He's an active body and can cause problems in the backfield in passing situations. He'd be a nice get.  

He's still really young, which is a point in his favor, but just 16 sacks in 47 career games (that's a 5.5 sack/year pace).

Also, athletically, he kind of profiles weird:
Mass: 63rd percentile
Power: 47th percentile
Speed 40: 93rd percentile
Speed 10: 93rd percentile
Agility: 21st percentile
Twitch: 42nd percentile

Fowler is fast but he can't really bend or turn his speed into power very well. When people say pure speed rusher, this is the prototype.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

fowler is the best edge on the market IMO

I guess it depends on who hits the market, but there's not any reason to think he's better than any of the following potential FAs:
Demarcus Lawrence
Frank Clark
Jadeveon Clowney
Preston Smith
Anthony Barr
Brandon Graham

Just now, rcon14 said:

I guess it depends on who hits the market, but there's not any reason to think he's better than any of the following potential FAs:
Demarcus Lawrence
Frank Clark
Jadeveon Clowney
Preston Smith
Anthony Barr
Brandon Graham

I don't really see lawrence or clowney being 'on the market' but they would be my preference.

Don't see Barr as a true edge.

Don't want Frank Clark for non-football reasons.

So for me it's Fowler, then Smith, then Graham.  Would be happy with one of those 3

• Like 1