2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Wow, the Rams and Chiefs better get their championships soon, before the rookie contracts expire for both Goff and Mahomes respectively.

Rams wise...this is the first time I can remember that a team who "won" the off-season made it to the Super Bowl.

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rams wise...this is the first time I can remember that a team who "won" the off-season made it to the Super Bowl.

Denver a few years ago did the same when they bought Ware, Talib, and Ward after they got ransacked by Seattle in the super bowl. They also hit on a lot of draft picks, so it's not quite the same as what the Rams did

• Like 2

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this guy

Henry Anderson 3-4 DE, free agent from the JETS, drafted by the Colts. Shouldn't be too expensive in FA

He's 6' 6, so he has the length to play in Pettine's defense. 27 years old

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/henry-anderson

https://overthecap.com/player/henry-anderson/3941/

You'd have:

1-tech :   Clark / Lancaster
3-tech :   Daniels / Adams / Draft Pick
5-tech :   Lowry + Anderson at 5-tech. Anderson might be able to kick inside in pressure package

Pettine likes rotating and keeping these guys fresh

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this guy

Henry Anderson 3-4 DE, free agent from the JETS, drafted by the Colts. Shouldn't be too expensive in FA

He's 6' 6, so he has the length to play in Pettine's defense. 27 years old

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/henry-anderson

https://overthecap.com/player/henry-anderson/3941/

You'd have:

1-tech :   Clark / Lancaster
3-tech :   Daniels / Adams / Draft Pick
5-tech :   Lowry + Anderson at 5-tech. Anderson might be able to kick inside in pressure package

Pettine likes rotating and keeping these guys fresh

He's been in a couple of the mocks, and yeah I've been looking at him. Adding him to be #3 inside would be pretty strong imo. He immediately bumps Lowry's snaps down which is a good thing. Not sure what we need in terms of the draft if we add him too. Clark, Daniels, Anderson, Lowry and Lancaster have to be seen right now as pretty sure things to make the 53. 

• Like 1

The Athletic's Nate Taylor believes there's a good chance the Chiefs release OLB Justin Houston this offseason.

Houston just turned 30 last month and has two years left on his contract. He's due to count a team-high $21.1 million against the cap in 2019. It's doable for the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes on a rookie contract, but Houston's play has slipped in recent years from superstar status to above-average pass rusher. Injuries have played a part. Fellow OLB Dee Ford is also set for free agency this year, but the Chiefs have reportedly considered the franchise tag for him.

A bit older at 30 yrs and quite expensive

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Athletic's Nate Taylor believes there's a good chance the Chiefs release OLB Justin Houston this offseason.

Houston just turned 30 last month and has two years left on his contract. He's due to count a team-high $21.1 million against the cap in 2019. It's doable for the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes on a rookie contract, but Houston's play has slipped in recent years from superstar status to above-average pass rusher. Injuries have played a part. Fellow OLB Dee Ford is also set for free agency this year, but the Chiefs have reportedly considered the franchise tag for him.

If he's willing to do the Julius Peppers-type contract of like 2 years at lower amounts, then it could be interesting. You can't give him top EDGE money at this point though.

5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Would rather give Houston 10 million annually than Barr tbh. Know he hasn’t been the force he was in the past recently but he’s still a much safer bet in my eyes to work out especially on a shorter deal. 

I feel I am on the short list on here who really has next to no interest in bringing Barr in to play edge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

If he's willing to do the Julius Peppers-type contract of like 2 years at lower amounts, then it could be interesting. You can't give him top EDGE money at this point though.

Is that why the Chiefs wouldn't get any trade offers ?
His salary just too high ?

IF GB has to compete with other teams in FA for Houston, it's likely to raise the $$ above a Peppers-type deal.
What if you traded a 4th to KC ? ( Robert Quinn traded for a 4th last year)

Could you potentially re-work Houston's deal at the same time to make it more palatable ?
Swap some non-guaranteed 2019/20 salary for a new signing bonus and stretch it out over 3 years instead of the 2 on his current contract
Is that a viable option to secure his services ? 

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I know someone who had this in their mock, just saying.

14 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I feel I am on the short list on here who really has next to no interest in bringing Barr in to play edge

Definitely with you. It's the kind of move that's funny because he's a rival, but we might as well just pay Perry rather than toss more money down the drain.

19 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Yep, not feeling the love for Barr at all. Not sure he can effectively play the EDGE position and you don't take a chance on a guy unless he can play where you are paying him to play. 

6 hours ago, Golfman said:

Yep, not feeling the love for Barr at all. Not sure he can effectively play the EDGE position and you don't take a chance on a guy unless he can play where you are paying him to play. 

The only thing youd have to worry about is if he could set the edge consistently. On pass downs he'd be your move piece. The one that is the threat to drop or blitz most often. It's not like he'd line up in one spot and go head to head the whole time. The majority of rushes he'd just have to out-athlete his opposition before they figure out who's coming and who's not.

I'm not a huge Barr guy but I think he'd be an interesting piece to play with as a DC.