Andrew Luck, KING OF THE SOUTH. FIRE AND BLOOD.

El Ramster

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes that's true.  It's been an excellent year for QBs in general though.  

Yup, the average passer rating is a whopping 94.6 so far this year, and was a mere 86.9 last year (historical high of 90.2 in 2015).

Agree though that it's good to see Luck is back and playing well, and I honestly think he continues to hop back on the trajectory he was on. However, if I had to guess, I just get the feeling he plateaus at that Matt Ryan/2nd tier level. Don't see ever in best QB convo. Just a hunch.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yup, the average passer rating is a whopping 94.6 so far this year, and was a mere 86.9 last year (historical high of 90.2 in 2015).

Agree though that it's good to see Luck is back and playing well, and I honestly think he continues to hop back on the trajectory he was on. However, if I had to guess, I just get the feeling he plateaus at that Matt Ryan/2nd tier level. Don't see ever in best QB convo. Just a hunch.

Makes Nathan Peterman look that much worse tbh.

Quietly, the Colts also have one of the best OL's in the NFL now after investing a lot of good draft picks there, and are also starting to develop a run game to supplement Luck and the passing game. However, as others have pointed out, defenses are just bad this year, and Luck's faced some of the worst passing defenses in the NFL:

1. Bengals (32nd in passing YPG)
  2. Redskins (25th in passing YPG)
  3. Eagles (23rd in passing YPG)
  4. Houston (15th in passing YPG)
  5. New England (26th in passing YPG)
  6. Jets (14th in passing YPG)
  7. Bills (2nd in passing YPG)
  8. Raiders (21st in passing YPG)
  9. Jaguars (1st in passing YPG)

Looking at Luck's game logs, he's played well the more the season has gone on, and no surprise the more the Colts have become balanced (IE Luck not throwing 50 times a game), the better his stats are looking on paper and the more games the Colts are winning. In their 4 game losing streak earlier this year, Luck averaged 51 passing attempts. In their current 3 game win streak, he's averaging 28 (rounded up) attempts per game, much more in line with a balanced offensive attack.

If the Colts can continue this balance, and their OL and RB's continue to play well, the Colts may have one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL, however as it stands right now they're currently 14th in total offensive DVOA, and 18th in passing, but I suspect that number is one the rise. They also rank 9th in rushing DVOA.

7 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

Queitly having a good season because Indy doesn’t fit into the Dallas-New York-Chicago rotation of the national media.

What’s great is he’s not just putting up the numbers like his rookie season, now he’s leading his team to wins. 

They were 11-5 his rookie year, and his numbers weren't that good.

57 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I still feel like last year was an anomoly for defenses though for various reasons. 

Alot of expected starting QB's who either regressed, missed a significant amount of time to injuries or just plain sucked. Rodgers, Luck, Watson, Tannehill, Palmer were all injured. Brees was not Brees for the most part. Carr was not 2016 Carr. Ben started slow. Glennon was benched. McCown should not have been a starter. Etc, etc.

Then there were teams such as the Bears, Houston and Browns who all started rookie QB's including now backup QB Deshone Kizer.

And those are the only ones that I can think right now.

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

They were 11-5 his rookie year, and his numbers weren't that good.

He has benefited alot from playing in a lackluster division. 

13 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

23 TDs as a rookie isn’t that good. I see. Here I was thinking that’s something that didn’t happen all the time.

Sure it was a great rookie year, but it was still quite easily the worst year of his career if you discount his injured 2015. However, what does that have to with anything? You implied he was putting up pretty numbers with no substance back in the day: "He’s not just putting up the numbers like his rookie season, now he’s leading his team to wins," when in reality he was clearly leading his teams to wins as a rookie. 11-5 with a league leading 7 GW drives...

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I still feel like last year was an anomoly for defenses though for various reasons. 

Alot of expected starting QB's who either regressed, missed a significant amount of time to injuries or just plain sucked. Rodgers, Luck, Watson, Tannehill, Palmer were all injured. Brees was not Brees for the most part. Carr was not 2016 Carr. Ben started slow. Glennon was benched. McCown should not have been a starter. Etc, etc.

Then there were teams such as the Bears, Houston and Browns who all started rookie QB's including now backup QB Deshone Kizer.

And those are the only ones that I can think right now.

He has benefited alot from playing in a lackluster division. 

It was a down year for QBs statistically.  Especially bulk stats.  The defenses seemed to be better anyway though.  Brees was still Brees, we just didn't use him as much cause we didn't have to.  His efficiency was still there, just not the bulk stats. We need him more this year, with Ingram missing games and seemingly every game being a shootout.  Even then, his workload for the season is down from what it has been.  And we aren't throwing deep anymore, because it's near useless, and Brees noodle arm.

Some QBs were better last year than they've been this year.  Like Bortles.  And Wentz was on an MVP pace.  Alex Smith was beasting to start the year.  Brady looked better last year also.

Archived