Top 3: Best and Worst things about your state

Hunter2_1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:53 PM, beekay414 said:

Wisconsin

Best
1. Drinking - Seriously, if you are a drinker, this is one hell of a place to live. Everything revolves around it and it's relatively cheap compared to the rest of the country. Bar culture around here is no joke.
2. The Northwoods - Some of the most beautiful country you could ever imagine. Hell of an area to just get away for a week/weekend to a cabin and just reset.
3. Summer - I'm not a huge hot weather person but summers in Wisconsin are amazing. From the thousands of festivals to Summerfest to Brewer season to camping....it's magical.

Worst
1. The misconception of the state nationally - Yeah, we do drink and we do enjoy our cheese but we're not friggin' Canada. People around the country always ask me about the stereotypes and it's hard to break them.
2. Construction - Seriously, we have two "seasons"...winter and construction. It's everywhere and it's baffling half the time. There's a street in my city that is broken down between three different towns during a smaller stretch and the construction on it is different in all three stretches. One is pristine/perfect, the next is half assed and the last part is completely rejected. It's dumb.
3. Small Market - Being a sports fan and on a sports forum, I feel the need to bring it up. It SUCKS being small market most of the time. Nobody ever wants to sign here and, whenever we have a shot at a title, it's hard to sustain that window so it's win now or never win again type stuff. Screw cities like Boston, LA, Chicago and New York. You guys don't know struggle or pain.

I would also nominate drinking as an honorable mention for the worst because it is constant and the drinking culture is pervasive enough that the peer pressure effect is real. The honorable mention best should be Madison. It's a college town vibe, but is big enough now that there is stuff to do, and it's growing like crazy as a bio/tech hub (shoutout to Epic tbh).

For the worst, the accent sounds ridiculous even if you don't have a bad one. And on a serious note, Milwaukee public schools and the segregation that's still present are a huge issue.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, BayRaider said:

Negative:

1. Expensive. California has gotten so expensive a lot of people have left the state. Housing is just ridiculous. To buy in the Bay Area, LA, or San Diego you’re lookin at 800,000 or so. If you live in the Central Valley it’s more like 300,000 but jobs also pay way less. Rent for a house is minimum 4,000. A ton of people commute 90 plus minutes to the Bay Area and buy a house or rent in the valley.

2. Earthquakes. The bad rarely ever happen, but when they do, they suck. 

3. Wildfires. This is our worst one yet. 

4. Air Quality sucks. 

5. Don’t be fooled.. outside of the Bay Area the weather sucks. Hot as heck here. 

6. Zombies. 

7. Droughts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I would also nominate drinking as an honorable mention for the worst because it is constant and the drinking culture is pervasive enough that the peer pressure effect is real. The honorable mention best should be Madison. It's a college town vibe, but is big enough now that there is stuff to do, and it's growing like crazy as a bio/tech hub (shoutout to Epic tbh).

For the worst, the accent sounds ridiculous even if you don't have a bad one. And on a serious note, Milwaukee public schools and the segregation that's still present are a huge issue.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to go too damn negative with the massive segregation issue of Milwaukee. Its crazy how you can drive down Bluemound for 20 minutes and get 20 different vibes lol and thats not even the worst of the segregation.

And yeah, the peer pressure is real. Had a buddy go 3 months without drinking and when he told people he wasn't drinking, people asked him if he was okay lmao. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And yeah, the peer pressure is real. Had a buddy go 3 months without drinking and when he told people he wasn't drinking, people asked him if he was okay lmao. 

Yep the reaction is either "oh god let me cover all the bottles so you don't drown yourself in them" or "stop being a little *****". Pretty much anywhere else it's, some combination of "okay", "oh good for you", and "there's soda and water in the fridge".

And it's a part of every activity. The Saturday morning golfing outing where people are like 12 beers deep religiously at like 11 AM drives me crazy. It's a significant part of the reason I hate golf.

On 16/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, Mega Ron said:

I'm from Essex in England.

Good things

1: the ladies are easy here

2: it's much less pretentious than other parts of England

3: it is full of old school West Ham fans who have moved out of East London 

Bad things

1: my mum and dad live here. They are awful people 

2: there are more and more Tottenham Hotspur fans here. They are the worst.

3: Traffic is so bad that every road is like Manhatten.

Hey, I'm from Essex too!

G

1. Seasides 2. Seafood (Leigh on sea), 3. Down to Earth

B

1. Grays/Tilbury/Purfleet etc, 2. Working class towns with nothing there (kind of like 1), 3. m25/A13/C2C Rail line -appalling 

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Hey, I'm from Essex too!

G

1. Seasides 2. Seafood (Leigh on sea), 3. Down to Earth

B

1. Grays/Tilbury/Purfleet etc, 2. Working class towns with nothing there (kind of like 1), 3. m25/A13/C2C Rail line -appalling 

High five buddy.

I agree with your list. You a Patriot?

On 18/11/2018 at 4:53 AM, beekay414 said:

Wisconsin

3. Summer - I'm not a huge hot weather person but summers in Wisconsin are amazing. From the thousands of festivals to Summerfest to Brewer season to camping....it's magical.

You often find colder places have better summers, as you learn to really cherish and embrace them. There's a vibe where people feel energised to get together etc. I feel that here in N. Europe, which SOUNDS similar to Wisconsin (having never been of course).

• Like 1