Top 3: Best and Worst things about your state

Hunter2_1

We've posters from all over the country. I'm interested to know what your favorite and least favorite things are about your state (or state of your choosing).

I'm not a native, but I did live in Maine for a while. So;

Top 3 things about Maine:

1. Outdoors. I love being outdoors, and Maine can offer a lot of outdoor wilderness and space, including lots of biodiversity. Acadia National park would be an example. 

2. Food. Seafood is my fav. Guess Maine is known for it's Lobster, but I don't care. Just cram it all in my face. Shrimp, Salmon, Cod you name it.

3. Friendly people. Everyone knows everyone (can be a bad thing) and it's got a community spirit feel. 

Worst 3 things about Maine:

1. Weather. Summer is two weeks, and I like hot and sunny weather. Bummer.

2. Lack of opportunity. There isn't a diverse industry here, no mega-city or commercials ops. It's a lot of local government, services or trade stuff.

3. It's too quiet. If you're a young adult, you want a bit more nightlife and perhaps some lively bars and neighbourhoods etc. It's ok for a quiet night on the local craft beers, but...meh.

Your turn :)

• Like 1

Texas good:

1. Food - The BBQ is well known, the Mexican is top notch, and Houston is also known for great Vietnamese and Indian food. Hard to not find good food in any city in Texas.

2. Economy - Texas is thriving in that area. Austin is quickly becoming a tech hub, San Antonio is home base for the USAA group, Houston has the 2nd largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies based in the area (behind NYC) and Dallas isn't too far behind. Cost of living is incredibly low compared to other major metropolitan areas. No state income tax, either.

3. People/diversity - Folks here are almost overly friendly from my experience. Everyone is willing to help, nobody is a stranger to us. Both Houston and Dallas rank in the top 5 diverse cities in the US, so there is a ton of culture to absorb.

Texas bad:

1. Weather - It's hot. Pretty much all the time. And (specifically Houston) seems to have a 100 year flood event ...every year. 

2. Traffic - Dallas roads are overly complicated, Austin roads are basically something out of Mad Max Fury Road, Houston roads are in a constant state of construction and NOBODY knows how to drive.

3. Public Transportation - Dallas has DART, which is probably the best in the state (but is very below standard anywhere else). Houston has MetroRail, which is limited to Downtown and the Med Center (so good luck if you live in the Galleria area). San Antonio and Austin have outdated buses rolling around at seemingly random times. If you live in Texas, you need a car (not necessarily a jacked up truck sitting on mud tires). However, owning a car has risks (see #2).

• Like 1

Top 3

Amazing scenery 

Mostly chill forward thinking people

Legalized tree 

bottom 3

it rains a lot (fine with me, most people hate it)

patches of uneducated uncultured swine (though I think this is everywhere)

Sales tax 

• Like 1

Georgia's got a lot going for it, I could probably list 5 great things about it:

GOOD

1. Economy

2. Outdoors stuff (mountains + beach)

3. People

BAD

1. Metro ATL traffic (but we have a mega project in the works, an just finished another mega project)

2. Crime rate (not actually terrible when you include the whole state)

3. Can't think of one

Other goods are:

history

food

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport

the Masters (not into golf)

the state highway system

the state gov't. Fiscally responsible, and well-run ... mostly.

Something else to add: Most people think that Metro Atlanta is largely white & black, but it's one of the most diverse metro areas in America when you move outside of Atlanta proper. Tons of Asians, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern people in the surrounding townships. Way more than anyone would think. I think almost every country in the world is represented here.

Edited by freak_of_nature

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Come again?

That's my memory (haven't been there in close to a decade). On ramps and off ramps appearing out of nowhere, people swiping four lanes at a time, blind turns out of hills...

Maybe it's changed, I dunno.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

That's my memory (haven't been there in close to a decade). On ramps and off ramps appearing out of nowhere, people swiping four lanes at a time, blind turns out of hills...

Maybe it's changed, I dunno.

Well, we created an entire toll system including roads that go around and through the city. Traffic still sucks, but its been improved. Like any city though, maybe it makes more sense to me because I live here.

I know jack about the state, other than everything outside of Sea-Tac Metro might as well be Idaho. So here is Seattle...

The Good

1. Food, Drinks, Music : Cliché, but the absolute truth. Amazing local seafood and agriculture coupled with a strong international communities/influence results in elite food. Seattle was way ahead of the curve on the refining of alcohol in regards to wine, spirits and craft beer. Other parts of the country may have surpassed recently, but Seattle was definitely one of the forbearers. The music scene goes without saying.

2. City Vibe: Historically Seattle has been a bastion for marginalized and alternative communities. As a result, people here seem to really feel like they can carve out their own niche and prosper. Creates a very chill, go with the flow attitude here [albeit I wouldn't call it friendly haha]

3. The Opportunities: Seattle is essentially a collegetown that grew into a global hub of Tech and Healthcare. Money was pumping into Seattle well before Amazon came strolling through. The city was founded and built by entrepreneurs [looking to make their fortune in gold, timber and fishing] and that spirit still lingers. Funny to think 100 years ago Seattle was nothing more than a waterfront full of drunk sailors and prostitutes.

The Bad

1. Traffic: Seattle drivers are probably the worst in the country. Doesn't help the Metro Area has ballooned up to almost 4 million, completely stressing the already overly stressed transit system around Puget Sound.

2. The Tech-Bro Wave: Overpaid Tech-Bros are hitting this city like a tidal wave, flooding in from all over the country. The Housing / Renting situation was already terrible BEFORE, and now its one of the worst in the country [saw some infographic that had renting an apartment in Everett, Wa being more expensive than Paris]. The Wave is also sterilizing the parts of the city. The tastes, needs, and likes of these loaded 20-somethings is replacing a lot of the local preferences. These transplants wont be staying here permanently, so it will be interesting to see how the city changes as it tries to adapt to each new wave of outside 20-somethings coming through.

3. Homeless Problem: While other cities have made homelessness a crime, or ship them out of town on one way buses, Seattle has always has always been more open and empathetic about it. The issue currently has been the population boom (facilitated by transplants) is destroying the renting market. Alot of well meaning people, got priced out completely, and are left to their own device (many of which are vulnerable and unable hold steady jobs). Another issue [San Fan and Portland too] is that because Seattle is more warm with its homeless, other cities homeless end up here. The system is just overwhelmed right now, and there doesn't seem to be an immediate fix. Too many damn NIMBYs in this city.