You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not taking anything away from him.

I am just pointing out facts.

Facts like he inherited an incredible roster. Let's not pretend like he didn't walk into a dream scenario: best RB in the league, best defensive player in the league, #1 overall pick QB, perhaps the best FA class...ever? Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields, and more!

And that fact he hasn't won a postseason game yet.

He very well might be a really good coach. But his team is...LOADED. Let's see if he can have success with a squad that has been consistently picking in the late 20s for a stretch.

That isn't a fact though. 

You seem to be extremely misinformed.  Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib and Shields weren't even on last year's team much less the roster he inherited.

You seem to be getting Mcvay's current team confused with the bad 4 win team that he inherited in January of 2017.  McVay and Sneed reworked the vast majority of that roster with the draft and UFA.  

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

You seem to be extremely misinformed.  Cooks, Suh, Peters, Talib and Shields weren't even on last year's team much less the roster he inherited.

You seem to be getting Mcvay's current team confused with the bad 4 win team that he inherited in January of 2017.  McVay and Sneed reworked the vast majority of that roster with the draft and UFA.  

McVay has personnel decision authority in LA?

16 hours ago, Leader said:

I'll institute a "Quote delay" :)

I dont consider it an attribute of any coach to publicly run down his players and even IMPLY somebody off the roster would be a welcome addition  -  and I dont hear any that do it. Now - do some say a player didnt handle a particular play or situation well? Yes that happens every now and then - but the days of Bill Parcells shooting the **** with the NY Media and giving his players some **** are long gone.

John McCay was my favorite.  When asked by a reporter about his teams execution he said , I'm in favor of it.

Was once heard in the locker room after an appalling game by his team, Take a shower, if anyone needs one.

He was a joker. He disarmed reporters. Of course in the impossible situation he found himself in, humor probably saved his sanity.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

You should probably go back and check out last years roster, or even as far back as Case being on the squad. MANY prognosticators continually had them being the Cinderella because of their roster.

You want to see serious bad coaching check out those Jeff Fisher squads. McVay has had Whitworth both years who has probably been their most important FA.

Suh isn't worlds better than Brockers at this point but he does make their rotation better inside. They lost Tru Johnson, arguably a better fit in Wades D, for Peters. Sammy Watkins for Cooks. Robert Quinn for Talib. They let Ogletree go as well. Those past rosters HAD talent. Now they have the talent perceivably where they want it.

24 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You should probably go back and check out last years roster, or even as far back as Case being on the squad. MANY prognosticators continually had them being the Cinderella because of their roster.

You want to see serious bad coaching check out those Jeff Fisher squads. McVay has had Whitworth both years who has probably been their most important FA.

Suh isn't worlds better than Brockers at this point but he does make their rotation better inside. They lost Tru Johnson, arguably a better fit in Wades D, for Peters. Sammy Watkins for Cooks. Robert Quinn for Talib. They let Ogletree go as well. Those past rosters HAD talent. Now they have the talent perceivably where they want it.

I've looked. The offense had Todd Gurley as the only serviceable offensive weapon when Mcvay was signed as coach.  There were some pieces on defense but even that unit has been almost completely rebuilt and molded by/ for Phillips.

Whitworth was added months after Sean Mcvay and was not part of the team that he inherited.  The 2017 opening weekend roster that Mcvay helped build and the one he inherited was substantially different.   

This isn't worth arguing about but I do not believe that the roster that Jeff Fisher won 4 games with, the one that Sean McVay inherited. was more talented than the one Mike Mccarthy had at the start of this year.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I've got no idea what his authority is in LA and frankly it doesn't matter.  Think its pretty clear that he's got a lot of say in the roster decisions as the offense and defense are being built around him and Phillips.  Players that don't fit their systems are being shipped out (Robert Quinn, Travon Austin) while guys that do are being brought in (Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters).

1 hour ago, SSG said:

McVays current team is the team he inherited. I couldn't care less he's one year removed from his first season. It's completely irrelevant.

The fact is he HAS an incredibly talented roster. The roster was constructed via high draft capital for years and an aggressive GM.

This is pretty simple stuff...

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Really? You don't think he's working with Les Snead in helping identify players that he fills would be a fit for his system? Ultimately the signing comes down to Snead but McVay certainly has a hand in it. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

McVays current team is the team he inherited. I couldn't care less he's one year removed from his first season. It's completely irrelevant.

The fact is he HAS an incredibly talented roster. The roster was constructed via high draft capital for years and an aggressive GM.

I don't think you understand the meaning of inherited, here let me help you:

inherited: receive or be left with (a situation, object, etc.) from a predecessor or former owner.

This roster was NOT inherited by McVay it was built by McVay and Snead. Stop reaching. There's a vast difference between the 2018 LA Rams and the 2017 LA Rams he inherited when taking this job. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Yet Jeff Fisher couldn't even get half the production out of his players that McVay has.  Yet you're going to continue to do what you can to discredit him.

13 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

inherited: receive or be left with (a situation, object, etc.) from a predecessor or former owner.

This roster was NOT inherited by McVay it was built by McVay and Snead. Stop reaching. There's a vast difference between the 2018 LA Rams and the 2017 LA Rams he inherited when taking this job. 

They traded Quinn and Ogletree, right?

And lost that good corner, Johnson, to free agency, right?  I think they also lost Sammy Watkins to free agency.

Added Suh, Peters, Talib, Shields, Cooks, Woods and now Fowler?

Without doing any digging, that is a lot of turnover concerning higher end guys.  I was always a fan of Quinn, but dang, sure looks like they made the right call there.  Same thing on letting Johnson go.  Read somewhere where the Jets were considering him a bust already.

23 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't think you understand the big picture.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yet Jeff Fisher couldn't even get half the production out of his players that McVay has.  Yet you're going to continue to do what you can to discredit him.

They don't have remotely close to the same players.

Christ. How hard is this to accept people.

The Rams have good players.

Why are you knuckleheads arguing this 😂

I've never discredited McVay. I said he inherited an incredible team. You have no idea what you are talking about if you don't think his team is incredibly talented...

Archived