You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Just now, incognito_man said:

They don't have remotely close to the same players.

Christ. How hard is this to accept people.

The Rams have good players.

Why are you knuckleheads arguing this 😂

I've never discredited McVay. I said he inherited an incredible team. You have no idea what you are talking about if you don't think his team is incredibly talented...

Wait...you just got done saying he inherited all those players from before he got there?  I legitimately stumped as to what you're possibly arguing now.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

McVays current team is the team he inherited. I couldn't care less he's one year removed from his first season. It's completely irrelevant.

The fact is he HAS an incredibly talented roster. The roster was constructed via high draft capital for years and an aggressive GM.

This is pretty simple stuff...

And that team would be .500 with Goff playing like he did as a rookie.

If McVay doesn't get credit what the hell does Mac for an absolutely loaded 2010 team? 

Fact is McVay took Goff and made him into an elite QB and that's why they're winning, no different than Mac getting Aaron and making him an elite QB and that's why he was viewed as a top tier coach.

You cannot give Mac props for the coach he is and then turn around and not do the same McVay. They did the same thing. Develop a QB into a stud with a really strong roster around him.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

And that team would be .500 with Goff playing like he did as a rookie.

If McVay doesn't get credit what the hell does Mac for an absolutely loaded 2010 team? 

Fact is McVay took Goff and made him into an elite QB and that's why they're winning, no different than Mac getting Aaron and making him an elite QB and that's why he was viewed as a top tier coach.

You cannot give Mac props for the coach he is and then turn around and not do the same McVay. They did the same thing. Develop a QB into a stud with a really strong roster around him.

Oh my God I'm not discrediting him. He's done fantastic with Goff.

He has a great team. He's coaching well.

He's still not won a postseason game.

I'm giving him exactly the credit he's earned so far.

He might be best coach in NFL history.

He might never make a SB.

He's winning regular season games with a stacked roster that he walked into right now. 

Soon we will find out how good he is (probably).

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

What

Again you don't understand the meaning of inherited. Let me identify the team he ACTUALLY inherited to you -- because I don't think you fully understand the meaning of inherited:

QB: Goff - As I have stated prior which you blatantly ignore because it doesn't flow with your point. McVay inherited a QB that had a lot of doubts surrounding his career outlook and many wondered if the Rams even made the correct taking him #1 overall over Carson Wentz. 

WRs: Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt and Pharaoh Cooper were their starting WR core when he INHERITED this roster. That's a far cry from Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp

I don't understand why this is complicated for you to understand but the names you are mentioning the QB that we see in Goff now are not the same as the ones that he inherited. Let me explain to you what actually happened here. He took on a job that had a QB he felt he could groom (Correctly so) and he had a vision with Les Snead to a team he thought they could put together -- which he did. He didn't inherit anything, he invisioned it and built this team with Les Snead. Stop taking that away from him and pretending he walked into a dream scenario for a job because he didn't.

Yeah he walked into a dream scenario.

Don't be asinine...😂

Best defensive player in the league.

Best RB in the league.

#1 overall pick QB on a rookie deal with real skills.

Aggressive GM willing to spend NOW because they correctly understood the best way to win a SB is with a good, cheap, young QB and as money spent elsewhere as you can.

Literally couldnt ask for a better scenario to walk into...

2 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

you spent several posts saying how McVay inherited the team hes working with now. He inherited that team from Ol Jeffy. Who you subsequently said had entirely different and worse players. So both cant be true. 

Of course they're both true.

The league isn't static, man.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

I've got no idea what his authority is in LA and frankly it doesn't matter.  Think its pretty clear that he's got a lot of say in the roster decisions as the offense and defense are being built around him and Phillips.  Players that don't fit their systems are being shipped out (Robert Quinn, Travon Austin) while guys that do are being brought in (Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters).

Frankly it does matter because you’re giving McVay credit instead of Snead who also hired McVay 

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Really? You don't think he's working with Les Snead in helping identify players that he fills would be a fit for his system? Ultimately the signing comes down to Snead but McVay certainly has a hand in it. 

That goes without saying, but giving McVay the credit would be like giving McCarthy credit for hitting on a draft pick. These guys play a role but they’re not Belichek

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah he walked into a dream scenario.

Don't be asinine...😂

Best defensive player in the league.

Best RB in the league.

#1 overall pick QB on a rookie deal with real skills.

Aggressive GM willing to spend NOW because they correctly understood the best way to win a SB is with a good, cheap, young QB and as money spent elsewhere as you can.

Literally couldnt ask for a better scenario to walk into...

Gurley was coming off of an 845 yard season after gaining 1100 as a rookie.  

Wanna see the list of guys with more yards in 2016?  Names like Ware, Crowell, Hyde, Miller and Murray just to name a few.  He was 17'th in the league for yards.  17'th.  Literally no one would have taken him over Zeke, Bell, Johnson or a slew of other running backs.

Goff was 35th in yardage.  68th in QB rating.  Keep in mind there are outliers in there as some RB's and WR's threw passes and were ahead of him, so that stat is a little skewed.

Rams were 31'st in passing that year.

Rams were 31'st in rushing that year.

24'th in yards per game.  defense.

24th in sacks.  defense.

23rd in points per game.

I see the word inherited, to me, meaning the players he was given when he walked in the door.  There are a ton of new players there now that he did not inherit.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Gurley was coming off of an 845 yard season after gaining 1100 as a rookie.  

Wanna see the list of guys with more yards in 2016?  Names like Ware, Crowell, Hyde, Miller and Murray just to name a few.  He was 17'th in the league for yards.  17'th.  Literally no one would have taken him over Zeke, Bell, Johnson or a slew of other running backs.

Goff was 35th in yardage.  68th in QB rating.  Keep in mind there are outliers in there as some RB's and WR's threw passes and were ahead of him, so that stat is a little skewed.

Rams were 31'st in passing that year.

Rams were 31'st in rushing that year.

24'th in yards per game.  defense.

24th in sacks.  defense.

23rd in points per game.

I see the word inherited, to me, meaning the players he was given when he walked in the door.  There are a ton of new players there now that he did not inherit.

Was Fisher that bad or is McVay that good? Probably a little of both but wow does that paint a picture of a completely inadequate coach. I liked Fisher in Tennessee with those Eddie George teams, but he really made a mess of the Rams.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The situation he inherited.

The players gave up the year before McVay was hired. They had an interim head coach and a rookie QB playing mop up duty for Case Keenum.

They had nothing to play for.

But the roster was (and is moreso now) loaded with (cheap) talent from their high draft capital.

I've saidnit a thousand times. The best way to get really good is to be bad for awhile. The Rams are working like the league is designed.

Not to mention they just moved to frickin LA too so the owner/GM are motivated to have immediate success to build a new fanbase. This all adds up to an absolute dream scenario for a competent coach.

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

That goes without saying, but giving McVay the credit would be like giving McCarthy credit for hitting on a draft pick. These guys play a role but they’re not Belichek

They both equally deserve credit? It's the GM's job to draft the talent and the coaches drop to coach them up when they walk into that facility. The fact they're hitting on these picks and free agents is a testament to that coaching staff they have there in LA. 

Archived