You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

So you are saying no coach will be able to reign in Rodgers?

Anyone that is a few years in age proximity to Rodgers is going to have a hard time doing so.  Anyone without a solid track record of running an NFL offense will as well.  

IMO, you're not going to fundamentally change Rodgers.  You're going to get him to buy into the system by challenging him mentally.  You can hear it when Rodgers talks, and you can see it in his attitude.  He's frustrated with the playcalling.  In terms of play calling, McCarthy is probably closer to Arians than he is say Riley.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Another stubborn HC?  Look, I'm not saying I'm totally against Arians, but I'd rather go with a younger guy.  I think they're going to be more adaptive than a guy who has been in the league for multiple decades.

Stubborn is relative.  Being stubborn by insisting that his QB run HIS offense is the kind of stubborn AR might need and even want, frankly.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Stubborn is relative.  Being stubborn by insisting that his QB run HIS offense is the kind of stubborn AR might need and even want, frankly.

Is that what we're not doing right now?  McCarthy is about as stubborn when it comes to running his offense.  They didn't change things up with Matt Flynn as their QB.  They didn't change things with Brett Hundley as their QB.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

So you are saying no coach will be able to reign in Rodgers?

Anyone that is a few years in age proximity to Rodgers is going to have a hard time doing so.  Anyone without a solid track record of running an NFL offense will as well.  

**** him. Sit him down if he's playing like ****
Post game: "Why'd you do it Coach?" - "Cause the guy was playing like **** and I've got a responsibility to the whole team"

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hard pass on Carmichael. Guy has been the OC of a super offense too long and gotten no looks. Something is up there.

Ehh, maybe, maybe not. I think pretty much all coaching candidates will have questions they will need to answer for that Gute & Co. will have to get figured out.

With McDaniels, what the hell happened with the Indy debacle, what will he do differently from his stint in DEN? With Riley, how will he handle the adjustment to tougher competition. With Bieniemy, can we trust you with playcalling when you've never done it, and can we trust you do not have Andy Reid's notorious time-management "skills" -?

For us fans, this whole process is a crapshoot, even more than the draft, but I have faith in the management such that I'll defer to their judgment on any/all of these guys.

Oh yeah, and one more guy: Dan Campbell. He's a guy with some buzz around him who I'd take a look at.

Just now, incognito_man said:

I disagree 100%.

I think Jim is ridiculously genuine. To the extreme. He's on the opposite end of that spectrum.

The guy camped overnight at a kickers house, he holds spring practice in Rome, every single play he throws a temper tantrum.

Don't see it man. The only thing genuine about him is how much of a d-bag he is tbh.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Is that what we're not doing right now?  McCarthy is about as stubborn when it comes to running his offense.  They didn't change things up with Matt Flynn as their QB.  They didn't change things with Brett Hundley as their QB.

But what makes you think AR is going to be responsive to an unproven, young college coach?  Fact is, we have no idea who AR might listen to or not.  So you can’t discount an older coach as much as you can’t dismiss a younger one.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The guy camped overnight at a kickers house, he holds spring practice in Rome, every single play he throws a temper tantrum.

Don't see it man. The only thing genuine about him is how much of a d-bag he is tbh.

He takes it to a level waayyyyy past someone who wasn't actually dedicated to his craft ever would.

He lives football 100%. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You might disagree, but I'm seeing a rather weak future HC class right now.  You've got Lincoln Riley and that's about it.  There's no Kyle Shanahan, there's no Adam Gase, no Matt Nagy, etc.  The entire guys we're mentioning have significant flaws.

Matt Nagy had called a handful of games before the Bears inked him ... quite a gamble if you ask me, but it seems to have worked out for the Bears early on.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

He takes it to a level waayyyyy past someone who wasn't actually dedicated to his craft ever would.

He lives football 100%. 

I don't think he'll even be considered. There's a guy who clearly wants a large say, of not THE say in a room. No way Gute wants that coming aboard. That's what ran him out of SF.

re: "Who to reign in Rodgers"

Again, Aaron strikes me as the kind of guy who will lose you if he thinks he's smarter than you. I think whether our new coach is younger or older is ultimately not all that important, although I do think the argument Ray made for a vet coach is somewhat convincing.

Above all else, though, our new coach needs to be someone with creativity and ingenuity to win Rodgers's respect -- IMO!

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think he'll even be considered. There's a guy who clearly wants a large say, of not THE say in a room. No way Gute wants that coming aboard. That's what ran him out of SF.

And SF regrets it.

I have no clue how Gute and Harbs would click personally, but I'd love Harbs the coach here.

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

But what makes you think AR is going to be responsive to an unproven, young college coach?  Fact is, we have no idea who AR might listen to or not.  So you can’t discount an older coach as much as you can’t dismiss a younger one.

Of course we're speculating.  But we've had Mac for the last decade plus, and things have gotten stale.  I tend to believe that younger coaches are a bit more flexible than older coaches.

Archived