Growing sense Packers move on from Mike McCarthy End of Season

Nick_gb

6 hours ago, nickel said:

Feel pretty confident in saying most GB fans would be happy to move on at this point.  However, I'm a realist so I don't assume that a change gives us a better chance to win moving forward.

Watching a team continuously lose close games feels like a leadership issue, although the more informed fans understand the roster had/has holes and needed a lot of upgrades.  It's young and it's got some talent and we've played some very tough games against a crazy tough schedule the last few weeks.

And of course that leadership issue may start with the coach, but on offense Rodgers can be as frustrated as he wants with the game plan or injuries or whatever, but tonight Brees threw 4 TD's to four un-drafted players.  

Gun to my head at this point in Rodgers career I would stick with McCarthy.  Everyone is on the Saints bandwagon and as has been pointed out they went through some tough times. Another strong draft/free agency period could easily put us back in the mix as a serious contender. 

The problem here is it appears their relationship isn't what it once was.  When your starting QB is publicly questioning decisions made after a game that can't be a good thing for either party.

On 11/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah, but we haven't had a great draft pick slot since like 2015...and we took Trae Waynes over Marcus Peters.

We know all about lousy drafts.  Thompson hasn't been all that stellar the past few years and now is no longer our GM.  The only guy we still have on our roster from the 2015 draft is Jake Ryan and that poor guy is on IR right now.   

A lot of Packers fans are lamenting the fact we traded down in 2017 taking King and passed on TJ Watt.  King is a nice player but he can't stay on the field either.  :/

The other problem is that Rodgers has been living off his SB and his incredible play from 2011-2014.

http://pfref.com/tiny/QabJN

He's not even a 100 rated QB since 2015.

http://pfref.com/tiny/TQw57

Brees, Ryan, Brady, and Wilson are all over 100 rating over that time.

• Guys like Rivers and Smith are not far behind at 95+
  • I'm not sure how the 4th best QB in the NFC is in conversation for the GoaT.

I'd love to see McCarthy get a new job and succeed somewhere else (Jacksonville?) while Rodgers fails in Green Bay with the next Ray Rhodes or Ben McAdoo

19 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The other problem is that Rodgers has been living off his SB and his incredible play from 2011-2014.

I'd love to see McCarthy get a new job and succeed somewhere else (Jacksonville?) while Rodgers fails in Green Bay with the next Ray Rhodes or Ben McAdoo

I hate to break it to you but if you look at career stats at the NFL website Rodgers has had 100+ QB ratings in 2016 and 2018.  His decent rating this year isn't bringing him wins but to suggest he's not a 100 rated QB since 2015 is incorrect.  Perhaps you should not try so hard to hate the Packers.  

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I hate to break it to you but if you look at career stats at the NFL website Rodgers has had 100+ QB ratings in 2016 and 2018.  His decent rating this year isn't bringing him wins but to suggest he's not a 100 rated QB since 2015 is incorrect.  Perhaps you should not try so hard to hate the Packers.  

Did you even look at what he was showing? 

If you add Aaron's numbers from 2015-2018, no, he is not a 100 rated QB. 

The information @SkippyX provided proves my entire point about Rodgers, and proves what so few Packer fans want to accept.  Aaron Rodgers right now is living off what he did from 2010-2014.  He has not been playing like a top 5 QB in this league since that time. 

He has developed seriously bad habits starting in 2015 and is no longer as effective as he once was.  A lot of that has to do with his greed in the offense and always looking for more, believing he has to get more with every play, which leads to some really bad offensive drives. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The information @SkippyX provided proves my entire point about Rodgers, and proves what so few Packer fans want to accept.  Aaron Rodgers right now is living off what he did from 2010-2014.  He has not been playing like a top 5 QB in this league since that time. 

He has developed seriously bad habits starting in 2015 and is no longer as effective as he once was.  A lot of that has to do with his greed in the offense and always looking for more, believing he has to get more with every play, which leads to some really bad offensive drives. 

It's using his outlier 2015 season to try and create a flawed point. His 2016, especially the last 8 games was elite, his start to 2017 was elite (the collarbone game in CAR you should throw out.) He's got a 100+ QBR this year too. Nothing physically has declined for him, his coach has lost the ability to keep him within his offense and both have suffered.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

It's using his outlier 2015 season to try and create a flawed point. His 2016, especially the last 8 games was elite, his start to 2017 was elite (the collarbone game in CAR you should throw out.) He's got a 100+ QBR this year too. Nothing physically has declined for him, his coach has lost the ability to keep him within his offense and both have suffered.

Early 2016 Rodgers was bad though.  He also wasn't all that great in the first two games of 2017, either. 

On 11/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, SkippyX said:

Oh yeah, it's totally unacceptable, him having only a 99.2 QB rating over 4 years.

He has the 5th best passer rating over that timespan. Bump it back a year, to include 2014 and be over a 5 year span, he's second. Bump it up a year and take out 2015, Wilson falls out and Rodgers is 4th.

This argument is terrible statistical logic. It's an arbitrary timeframe, an arbitrary cut off, it acts as though the stat is the end all be all (him being 4th in passer rating doesn't mean he's 4th best), and it suggests that top 5 performance is somehow failing. Just an all around terrible argument.

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The info Skippy provided says that Rodgers has been a top 5 QB in that time frame. Pretty explicitly.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:44 PM, pf9 said:

No one mentioning Nick Saban as a possible candidate for the Packers job?

Sure he failed at one NFL stop, but the Packers are a much different dinosaur than the Dolphins.

Saban has literally no reason to leave Bama; he gets paid millions of dollars to flash his rings and have every 5 star recruit line up to play for him.

Last 2 games, as graphic shown on SNF, with season on the line.....

2nd half @ SEA - GB 3 points, 3 first downs.

2nd half @ MIN - GB 3 points, 5 first downs.

Unless a team loses a star player....that's a reflection of bad coaching.   The opposition adapted to GB's plan much more than GB adapted to the opposition in-game - and that's exactly what we saw last night and the week before (especially @ SEA, that's a game they dominated for 30 mins, then got dominated in 2H).    

It just speaks to what so many have been saying for a while.    McCarthy should get credit for his ability to develop QB's, for sure.   But stuff like the above, it just confirms why there's so much noise here.  He and Jason Garrett have to be the 2 coaches who are living off name value and past team accomplishments.

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Last 2 games, as graphic shown on SNF, with season on the line.....

2nd half @ SEA - GB 3 points, 3 first downs.

2nd half @ MIN - GB 3 points, 5 first downs.

Unless a team loses a star player....that's a reflection of bad coaching.   The opposition adapted to GB's plan much more than GB adapted to the opposition in-game - and that's exactly what we saw last night and the week before (especially @ SEA, that's a game they dominated for 30 mins, then got dominated in 2H).    

It just speaks to what so many have been saying for a while.    McCarthy should get credit for his ability to develop QB's, for sure.   But stuff like the above, it just confirms why there's so much noise here.  He and Jason Garrett have to be the 2 coaches who are living off name value and past team accomplishments.

McCarthy's failure to adapt during these games is damning for sure.  And this isn't anything new.  We usually look fine in the first half but look like garbage after halftime because we are being out-coached big time.  

Archived